KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?

Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?
Started by: RedAlertv2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by snowdragon
Of course feel free to prove that statement. Here is a quick article discussing the costs of students in different states:

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...l-spending.html

That doesn't discuss the situation entirely obviously it's just one city.

Here is an article discussing how the baltimore schools performed:

https://www.educationviews.org/13-b...roficient-math/

13 Baltimore City High Schools, Zero Students Proficient in Math
https://www.tribpub.com/gdpr/baltimoresun.com/ This website isn't available in Europe, but this is a preview I got from google.

"
Bush's plan may hurt Maryland - Baltimore Sunwww.baltimoresun.com › news › bs-xpm-2001-04-10-...
10 Apr 2001 - Bush described the plan he sent to Congress as "a new way of doing ... notably education, and make room for his 10-year, $1.6 trillion tax cut. ... that the spending will be restored, but the bad news is that large tax cuts will go ..."

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:15 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Yeah, it doesn't hold up in many European nations where white working class boys do least well. Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing. It also brings in gender bias in the UK lol.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...rking-ClassBoys

We know that on average boys consistently underperform against girls, and white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds underperform against boys of all other races and ethnicities. I will reel off some statistics: by age five, white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds are already 13% behind disadvantaged black boys and 23% behind disadvantaged Asian girls in their phonics, for example; only around a third of white working-class boys pass their maths and English GCSEs; disadvantaged white working-class boys are 40% less likely to go into higher education than disadvantaged black boys; and in fact, according to UCAS, only 9% of these boys will go to university, compared with around half of the general population. I could go on forever if I had more time, but as it stands these white working-class boys are being let down by an in-built and inherent disadvantage.

But you know, the UK is more classist and the US more racist it is what it is. Gender bias is prevalent in both.

And remember to underline the fact, this comes from the UK where White men from non disadvantaged backgrounds invented everything from Gravity, to Magnetism and Electricity shifty [SPOILER - highlight to read]: some will say we only discovered these things, but we are British and if I say we invented them being part of the Master Race we must have
Dude, we used to have Darwin on the 10 pound note, Stephenson on the 5er, later Elizabeth Fry and we now have JMW Turner on the 20.

In America it says "In god we trust"

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:19 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

quote:
Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing.

I believe you need to reread some of mindships old posts, one of the problems with inner city schools with a high lvl of poverty is the culture that mocks getting educated and its a HUGE problem.

All education stems from the family and if there isn't a good unit to enforce and build the value at home no amount of money will make you care about school and grades. My aunt used to make a joke that at her family gatherings (she's vietnamese) the parents discussed their B grade kids as the problem child vs the straight a students:P That's probably one of the reasons asians excel in getting their education.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:20 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe you need to reread some of mindships old posts, one of the problems with inner city schools with a high lvl of poverty is the culture that mocks getting educated and its a HUGE problem.

All education stems from the family and if there isn't a good unit to enforce and build the value at home no amount of money will make you care about school and grades. My aunt used to make a joke that at her family gatherings (she's vietnamese) the parents discussed their B grade kids as the problem child vs the straight a students:P That's probably one of the reasons asians excel in getting their education.
They have good sense of humour?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:24 PM
snowdragon

quote:
This website isn't available in Europe, but this is a preview I got from google.

Sorry about that I'll just give you the top paragraph discussing $$ spent:

quote:
Baltimore City Public Schools continue to rank among the highest spenders in the U.S. on a per-student basis, placing third among the 100 biggest school systems during fiscal year 2017.

City schools spent $16,184 per pupil, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau, up 6.7% from last year when the school system ranked fifth nationally. Baltimore City is the 40th-largest elementary and secondary public school district in the U.S. with 82,354 students. Four Maryland school districts ranked among the top 10 nationally, compared to five a year ago.

The second article discussed charter schools but here is the highlight:

quote:
BALTIMORE (WBFF) – An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:24 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm well aware of what mindship posted, I miss his recent departure from the board and he is not who I am alluding to over cherry picked data in regard to education, attainment and ethnicity. He has never made anything but sane and balanced posts. Others, not so much.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:27 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, it doesn't hold up in many European nations where white working class boys do least well. Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing. It also brings in gender bias in the UK lol.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...rking-ClassBoys

We know that on average boys consistently underperform against girls, and white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds underperform against boys of all other races and ethnicities. I will reel off some statistics: by age five, white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds are already 13% behind disadvantaged black boys and 23% behind disadvantaged Asian girls in their phonics, for example; only around a third of white working-class boys pass their maths and English GCSEs; disadvantaged white working-class boys are 40% less likely to go into higher education than disadvantaged black boys; and in fact, according to UCAS, only 9% of these boys will go to university, compared with around half of the general population. I could go on forever if I had more time, but as it stands these white working-class boys are being let down by an in-built and inherent disadvantage.

But you know, the UK is more classist and the US more racist it is what it is. Gender bias is prevalent in both.

And remember to underline the fact, this comes from the UK where White men from non disadvantaged backgrounds invented everything from Gravity, to Magnetism and Electricity shifty [SPOILER - highlight to read]: some will say we only discovered these things, but we are British and if I say we invented them being part of the Master Race we must have
reposted because it's a lovely post.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:30 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Blakemore
Dude, we used to have Darwin on the 10 pound note, Stephenson on the 5er, later Elizabeth Fry and we now have JMW Turner on the 20.

lol, so true, newton was on one, Faraday was on something too I think.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:31 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry about that I'll just give you the top paragraph discussing $$ spent:

The second article discussed charter schools but here is the highlight:
What about the website I posted?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:32 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

lol, so true, newton was on one, Faraday was on something too I think.
Adam Smith. Arguably the most influential figure of their entire economic system but only focusing on the bad things that he said like the invisible hand moving the market killing the poor.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:34 PM
snowdragon

What about the website I posted?

Why would we want to look at a 2001 post?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:35 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why would we want to look at a 2001 post?
It predicted that Bush's cuts to fund his no child left behind hurt Baltimore.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:39 PM
snowdragon

It predicted that Bush's cuts to fund his no child left behind hurt Baltimore.

in 2017:

Baltimore City Public Schools continue to rank among the highest spenders in the U.S. on a per-student basis, placing third among the 100 biggest school systems during fiscal year 2017.

City schools spent $16,184 per pupil, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau, up 6.7% from last year when the school system ranked fifth nationally. Baltimore City is the 40th-largest elementary and secondary public school district in the U.S. with 82,354 students. Four Maryland school districts ranked among the top 10 nationally, compared to five a year ago.

And here is how the did on math tests:

BALTIMORE (WBFF) – An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:43 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

in 2017:

And here is how the did on math tests:

Yeah, Obama threw money at it and solved nothing. I accept that.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:47 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

OH and I just found out Churchill believed in Georgism XD

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 08:53 PM
dadudemon

Isn't that why no child left behind fudges the figures? It sounds to me that you just said black/hispanic schools are doing poorly and probably underfunded (they are) and I recall Bush cut education. Did he cut black/hispanic schools but made sure whites weren't left behind?

Because that sounds like systematic racism beyond Katrina level.

Here's reality:

African Americans have a shitty ignorance and truancy culture that feeds their poor performance. Many in the black community are fighting this shitty culture and I believe their scores are improving. You can't throw money at black issues and it solves all the problems. Some extremely poor Pakistani children sitting on rocks are more educated than our black children the same age - has nothing to do with money and everything to do with culture. I literally work with young black men and try to help them overcome their stupid culture and truancy issues. Just show up to work, stop arguing with your teachers, check your ego and stop getting into fights, actually do your damn homework, BAM! You escape the cycle of violence and poverty. Sometimes, I just want to smack the shit out of their parents for being giant pieces of shit. These young men want to make something of themselves and when they start to succeed, their parents, aunts, uncles, etc. start to mock them (it's jealousy). F*cking miscreants.

Afro-Americans are smart and perform better than the white population because they bring hard-working culture with them when they immigrate.

Our Hispanic immigrants' children perform better than the poor countries they come from but still not as good as the average so they bring the average down. Think of it like the world average improving but the US average is brought down. Like I said, this is a win, overall. Because I view humans as a whole when it comes to educating our children. Should be free for all kids as kids deserve knowledge and education.

But if we adopted the do or die education culture of South Korea, suicide rates would skyrocket.

Even very poor Koreans perform far better than even our average upper-middle class Americans.

We (you) have to stop viewing education failings as a poor people problem. It's a culture problem. If you have a culture of educational attainment, you can be poor (but that won't last long) and still be a top world performer.

Want to see black children's educational attainment vastly improve? Fix the broken home problem which vastly disproportionately impacts black families (the disparity is so different among blacks compared to any other demographic that it should be the #1 crisis American politicians address but no one actually gives a shit about black people in the US).

Last edited by dadudemon on Sep 19th, 2020 at 12:09 AM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 12:06 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Culture is derived from poverty/economic differences between people. A little of it comes from stupid racism, but it's mostly due to not having the money.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2021 08:05 AM