KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why does the Silver Surfer need a board to fly?

Why does the Silver Surfer need a board to fly?
Started by: Mindship

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Why does the Silver Surfer need a board to fly?

If this has been done before, forgive me, I am new to the forums. Anyway: if the Silver Surfer is so powerful in so many ways, why does he need a board to fly? Comics have repeatedly shown him falling when the board's been kicked out from under him, but inconsistencies have abounded (eg, when Doom stole his powers, and a house blew up around him, he was seen hovering over the hole; the Surfer has levitated pyramids with "degravity thrusts"; he has fired blasts from his hands to propel himself; etc, etc). My main "theories" on this (and this will not necessarily jive with what has been otherwise shown or stated in the comics) are as follows...
1) The Surfer can fly without his board but chooses not to. Why use his own power when he can use the board's, especially for interstellar/warp transit?
2) This was Galactus' way of keeping him from being too powerful.
3) The SS needs a surfboard, by definition, and that's just the way it is, don't ask stupid questions, just deal with it.
I've also always wanted to know why the Hulk never bursts his pants off, but that can be for another time.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 12:23 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlaqChaos

It's #1, just like Galactus doesn't need his technology to devour the life-energy of worlds, but he does it anyway to not waste hi own energies.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 02:12 PM
BlaqChaos is currently offline Click here to Send BlaqChaos a Private Message Find more posts by BlaqChaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HigH ScholaR

i'ts number 1

and to know why hulk's pants doesn't come of go down to the hulk forum and look for the thread

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 02:56 PM
HigH ScholaR is currently offline Click here to Send HigH ScholaR a Private Message Find more posts by HigH ScholaR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

as to why hulks pants don't bust off, well I think you can guess why

because then kids under a certain age wouildnt be allowed to purchase these comics

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 03:14 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 04:48 PM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Surfer can fly without the board, but needs it to go at his highest speed, does he not? Plus, its pretty effective for defensive and offensive purposes - once drove it right into Firelord, smacking him across the galaxy. But the board is completely under his control. Anyone takes it, it comes back at his calling.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 05:16 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

He cant fly without it. Lightspeed or otherwise.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 05:33 PM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BENITO
Perfect Rolemodel 4 N00bs

Number 3 Come you've got to keep your gimmick

Old Post Sep 9th, 2005 08:29 PM
BENITO is currently offline Click here to Send BENITO a Private Message Find more posts by BENITO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote