KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?

What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?
Started by: Biscuit

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wonderer

The only difference between knowledge and belief is that knowledge is egotistical, whereas belief is humble.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2005 02:04 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dante Vlada
Living My Last Days

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Biscuit
is anything known for absolute certainty, beyond all doubt? can knowledge actually be proven?

I believe some things can be proven beyond doubt.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 09:02 PM
Dante Vlada is currently offline Click here to Send Dante Vlada a Private Message Find more posts by Dante Vlada Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Wonderer
The only difference between knowledge and belief is that knowledge is egotistical, whereas belief is humble.

Wonderer that a great realization.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 09:11 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Knowledge can only be proven based on a definition for proof, what means that first you need to define proof. If I define proof like empiricism does then I can prove knowledge in the empiricist way. If I take another definition for proof then I will have another definition for knowledge. So what is considered knowledge by empiricism is not necessarily for other systems. Which system is the correct ? The knowledge of the answer in this question depends on your definition of proof.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 09:20 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

it is fair to say then that we can only truly know things after they have happend, we can try to predict things based on the past but this assumes that the same thing will happen as has always happened. we cannot "know" when it will rain, we can only "know" when it is raining or has rained, but we can strongly believe it will rain and we can justify this belief by the fact that it always has rained before when the clouds are dark, it only becomes knowledge after it has happened.

That is why information is as high as we can go. Randomness is organized. As an oxi-moron as that may sound, it is true. Disorder has a form in which is presents itself. Continueing the example of a rain cloud, it is right we assume from past knowledge, from what else do we base our learning? Past knowledge. Therefore you continue to "experimentate" with the given data's to come up with solutions. Knowledge follows the path of science, but unproven beliefs follow the path of faith. Knowledge and belief work 50/50 of each other. Like I said before, knowledge can only take you so far, the rest you have to have faith. The meteorologist cand prove that it is going to rain by presenting evidense of color, humidity, and presence of clouds. But knowing isn't going to make it rain, it's having faith that with this past knowledge will prove it to precipitate.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 03:47 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

I think the difference is that one is objective, the other subjective.

Knowledge generally is related to fact, things that can be tested perhaps, or proven. Ergo it's objective.

Belief is more subjective - a feeling, faith, and oppinion not necessarily backed up with anything approaching proof.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Last edited by Imperial_Samura on Nov 5th, 2005 at 03:58 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 03:56 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

But beliefs can be proven

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 04:08 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

True, I probably should have added "generally" in there.

But then it comes to down to wording. If a belief is proven it seems to change from a a belief, a matter of faith, into fact. "I believe this is true" once it is proven then you can say "I know this is true" for there is no reason for it to be seen as belief any longer - it has that kind of validity.

But then there are things like "I believe in you", but that's different again.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Last edited by Imperial_Samura on Nov 5th, 2005 at 04:14 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 04:12 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

Very true, but since when can solidify a belief? I believe it is going to rain, but it doesn't than it stays a belief. But if you believe again and it rains, but doesn't rain again what is it then. In the example of "I believe in you", if the person fails, are they still just a belief, or would your consistency prove other wise?

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 04:17 PM
jOHN_Anderton
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?

is anything known for absolute certainty, beyond all doubt? can knowledge actually be proven?

(please log in to view the image)

You can doubt anything. In fact you can doubt everything! For instance, how do I know that this isn't all a dream or one grand hallucination? But in spite of this, there is one thing you can never doubt: that YOU exist.

In other words, you can sit there and systematically and successfully doubt all aspects of your experience, your history, the reality of everything in your environment - including your body itself. BUT, the one thing you can never doubt is the fact of your own existence. It is self-evident. No matter what else you doubt, YOU, the doubter, cannot doubt YOU, the doubter! Ultimately, this is the one thing, the only thing that you can know with certainty.

Think about it for a second and you may agree with Rene' Descartes: "Cogito ergo sum!" (I think, therefore I am!)

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by jOHN_Anderton on Nov 5th, 2005 at 10:09 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 09:58 PM
jOHN_Anderton is currently offline Click here to Send jOHN_Anderton a Private Message Find more posts by jOHN_Anderton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

u cant actually doubt everything though, theoretically u can but not practically, which means there is something which makes us believe the things we do believe, does this mean they are certain or do we just assume them because its easier than questioning them.
Take for example the argument that one can doubt the existence of ones own body - does this mean that one can then jump into a fire without feeling pain? No, therefore our own natural dispositions tell us that our body DOES exist and no sceptic can argue that it doesn't because, there is more reason for us to believe that it does than there is for us to believe that it doesn't

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 10:14 PM
Biscuit is currently offline Click here to Send Biscuit a Private Message Find more posts by Biscuit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
blackhat
Madcap

my 2 cents, or maybe I'll just give 1 cent today.

Is believing that our bodies are made up of cells, organs, blood, all having their own functions knowledge? or just belief?

Is believing that there is a continent called South America and it is located south of the North American continent knowledge? or just belief?

Is believing that the planets Venus and Mars exist knowledge? or just belief?

Is believing in Bigfoot, ghost, life on other planets, and the loch ness monster knowledge? or just belief?

Answer these questions and you will have your answer.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 10:52 PM
blackhat is currently offline Click here to Send blackhat a Private Message Find more posts by blackhat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Knowledge is something you Believe is fact. And Believe is something you Know isn´t logical but, believe anyway

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2006 08:31 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Belief refers to a mental acceptance of the truth of some proposition, idea, statement. This means that you accept the truth of something, but it doesn' t mean that you are convinced of this truth with absolute certainty. A person can believe something without being able to claim to know it.

Knowledge is a justified, true belief. What this means is that for any belief to qualify as knowledge, you must first be justified in believing it, and second it must actually be a true proposition.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2006 08:40 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Knowlegde is usually defined as justified belief, but its strange that what justifies our belief is just another belief. I mean, "justification" is not an absolute and external thing so it can be used to objectively distinguish between knowledge and belief, but "justification" is a belief of ours. How do we justify our "justification" ? Its impossible.

That led me to think that if some kind of "justification" exists, then it must be subjective like intuition is. In the end, intuition could be important to acquire knowledge. People always tried to separate intuition from knowledge as if it was not needed, and as if knowledge could be obtained only by logic reasoning, but like even science is discovering today, there are problems that cannot be solved or even described by logic reasoning. This means there are things that cannot be reduced to a set of propositions, so they can´t be described by logic, and much less they can be analyzed by it.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2006 09:32 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Through verification, we make sure that what hear has some basis in truth.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2006 10:05 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Panomphean5

Difference between knowledge and belief

One simple, and useful, framework for distinguishing knowledge from belief is the following: (1) A belief is an opinion in the absence of supporting empirical evidence; it’s a matter of faith, not reason (it can’t be proved or disproved). (2) Knowledge is an opinion also—a working hypothesis—but it’s one for which substantial, public (or potentially public), cogent, empirical evidence exists to support it; that is, knowledge is a conclusion warranted by a preponderance of evidence and experience. (3) Knowledge in the sense of infallible apprehension or grasp of reality—what is ontologically “true”—is probably not possible. Instead, knowledge seems always to be contingent: new evidence as it becomes available may further support it or may disprove it. (See PRAGMATIC RATIONALISM: AN INTRODUCTION by Frank Robert Vivelo, Verlaine Publishing, 2013, from which the above is taken.)

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 06:16 PM
Panomphean5 is currently offline Click here to Send Panomphean5 a Private Message Find more posts by Panomphean5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote