KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Artwork Forum » Poetry Corner » Poetry.com ~ Nothing But A Hoax!

Poetry.com ~ Nothing But A Hoax!
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NunYahBidness
Is that why my screen has gone whacko!!!!

As I've said before, if you have to pay someone in order for you pieces to be printed and published, then I find that very wrong. It just goes against the firmly held belief that your work, any work is something that someone or whatever company/organisation is willing to shell out for acquiring said artist's creative endeavour.

That be like telling Warhol (not to my liking) he has to pay a gallery to have his work shown!!! Or asking Hemingway to pay to have his story The Old Man and the Sea published. BAH!

Yup, it's crap.

I've never had any interested in getting any of my poetry or other writings published or sold, but I have been selling prints of my artwork for some time through deviantART. Haven't had too terribly much success yet, but then again I'm still fairly unknown on there, though as of late I've had people asking to submit pieces of mine to be printed because they've wanted to buy them, and I see my stuff popping up on wishlists more and more.

Besides, don't people realize that the term 'starving artist' is very true?

....man, I'd KILL to get some of my stuff shown in a gallery....

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:46 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness
You can stop looking, now

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lana
Yup, it's crap.

I've never had any interested in getting any of my poetry or other writings published or sold, but I have been selling prints of my artwork for some time through deviantART. Haven't had too terribly much success yet, but then again I'm still fairly unknown on there, though as of late I've had people asking to submit pieces of mine to be printed because they've wanted to buy them, and I see my stuff popping up on wishlists more and more.

Besides, don't people realize that the term 'starving artist' is very true?

....man, I'd KILL to get some of my stuff shown in a gallery....
Hmm...Really? Post me your link as I'd like to see your work. I've a friend who's very much into such things even if his confidence is not on the same level as his abilities!!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:59 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I'll PM it to you smile

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:03 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

Again, thank you! NOT. A. WORD!!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:14 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Lips are sealed smile

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:26 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yup, this is one of the oldest tricks in the book, carried on in the days before the net, for the last 50 years or more.

Golden rule of any form of publication is- publishers pay authors, NEVER the other way around, regardless of how tempting it sounds.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 04:39 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Thanks for all the additional comments guys, it's great to be able to confirm these kinds of things for aspiring poets... I'd hate for anyone to get sucked in by the lies. It's really sad erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 10:11 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

Unfortunately for every 1 that learn the hard way when it comes to these shams, there are 10 new ones to fall for that trap!

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 09:18 PM
Syren
dreaming

yes

So, beware poets! There are so many obstacles...

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 27th, 2005 06:32 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
traci

Love

I'm sorry to say but I would have to disagree with all of you about Poetry.com. My husband submitted a poem "Dear Drunk Driver" not only did he win a contest but if you look on the very first page of "A surrender to the Moon" you will find his poem, and the only money we paid was for the purchase of the book itself.

Dear Drunk Driver
Dedicated to Suzanne Murphy, killed by a drunk driver on 03/27/04.

Dear drunk driver, this message is for you,
What were you thinking, what did you do?
You started to drive home drunk,
Why couldn't you give up your keys and not be a punk?
Who do you think had to clean up your mistake?
How many more lives do drunk drivers have to take?
The tears I've seen the people cry
Or the lines where the dead bodies once lied.
The nights I can't sleep because of the images you create,
You wonder why in my heart there is so much hate,
Granted when I get there the mess is almost cleared away,
But I have ears and can hear what the people say.
How you decided to drive home drunk,
But like the others you just walked away.
It's the people you hit that get placed in their grave.
You're not the only one who lives with the grief,
I bet you can't count the hearts you've hurt, you thief.
You stole their lives just to have some fun,
But in the end no one has won!

James Edward Allen

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 07:15 PM
traci is currently offline Click here to Send traci a Private Message Find more posts by traci Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

i actually got an emailer from poetry.com about a contest and the grand prize is $10,000. SWEEEET!!!!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 04:09 AM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Do you have the book? If so, then I am glad to hear that poetry.com is in fact sending out publications. The real problem is that people are paying extortionate amounts of money for awards ceremonies, trophies, buying the books in bulk etc. And these are the people who are being let down.

This thread is not based on opinion, it's fact.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 04:48 PM
Fëanor

i'm not actually going to enter it as i have my reservations. but honestly though i'm thinking of printing all of my stuff (over 200) and submitting to a publishing house just to see what kind of reaction i get out of it!!! y'know, maybe it'll be published....now wouldn't that be grand!!!!

any advice!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 05:40 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Go for it Fea, just remember that if your work is worth publishing, they will pay you. And I'd buy a copy of your book if you ever became famous wink

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 08:00 PM
Fëanor

Oh most definately i will....just don't know how to go about is all, getting it published that is!

but you wouldn't have to buy it Sy!!! I'll send ya an autographed copy if it came to that!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 08:45 PM
Syren
dreaming

That would be wonderful

I suggest you open a thread asking for advice on how to get your work published, someone's bound to know.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 04:35 PM
Peach
mordrem

Try contacting some publishing houses, send them samples of your work or copies of your manuscript....I really don't know, in fact messed

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 04:36 PM
Syren
dreaming

Good ideas nonetheless, Lana...

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 04:39 PM
Fëanor

according to this idiot's guide i purchased, it also states it is a good idea to get an agent messed

that way the author cannot be taken advantage of, even by legitimate houses....this i did not know!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 04:42 PM
Peach
mordrem

Yeah, an agent and an attorney are always good things to have, that way they can't try and screw you over.....

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 04:43 PM