KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Tarken or Vader

Tarken or Vader
Started by: darthsith19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthsith19
Arm-Wrestler

Tarken or Vader

Who's higher in command? Now, Darth Vader is a Sith Lord, apprentice to Darth Sidious and strongest Imperial in the Galaxy (other than Sidious himself). Yet Tarken commands Vader to release that Admiral Motti and Vader obeys. Tarken also holds Vader's leash, indicating that he's superior to Vader. Is he really?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 07:09 PM
Click here to Send darthsith19 a Private Message Find more posts by darthsith19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tpaquin
The Guy With the Gun

Yes, he's higher in the pecking order than Vader.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 07:37 PM
Click here to Send tpaquin a Private Message Find more posts by tpaquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Vader is in ANH under Tarkin, which should be clear:
in the conference room Tarkin orders Vader to stop the Force Grip and he complies without protest.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 09:28 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dan Skywalker

On the Death Star wasnt Vader just the Emperors Emissary? well thats how I understood it. Hes just there to represent the Emperor and ensure the Death Star completes its mission

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 09:43 PM
Click here to Send Dan Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yep. The Emperor apparently ORDERED Vader to accept Tarkin's command while he hunted down the Rebels.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Decay

not only did vader obey tarkens order to release his choke, leia actually says that she should have expected tarken to be holding vaders leash. does this mean vader has a history of being placed under imperal officers? either that or tarken has a history of being 2nd only to palpatine. whatever the history she was none too surprised to see vader ranked below tarken.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 09:56 AM
Click here to Send Decay a Private Message Find more posts by Decay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

It's because in the first scripts, there were lots a sith, they were just warriors to protect the emperor personally, the moffs are the highest ranks given by the emperor personally! In the original episode VI script, a moff even told Vader to f*ck off from Luke as Vader screwed up.

Now we kinda get the idea though that the jedi and sith are the most important. I guess Lucas changed his mind a bit.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 02:28 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Tarkin was incredibly powerful in both military and poiltics- this is something Vader simply has to accept.

However, let's not also forget that the two of them were friends.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 04:46 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

What tells you they're friends? I never heard of that before.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 04:59 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Tarkin came up with the doctrine of "Rule through fear of force, not force itself." That worked extremely well. Enough so to earn him hold of Vader's leesh.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 07:47 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pondo Booboo

Tarkin is not just a Moff, he is a Grand Moff. I always took it that he holds more stead than the other officers, even above Vader. But yeah, friendship is indicated, as he does say to Vader at one point "You, my friend, are all that is left of their (the Jedi) religion."

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 11:18 PM
Click here to Send Pondo Booboo a Private Message Find more posts by Pondo Booboo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You can tell this by: (well this answer is given like 2 decades AFTER ANH, so.....)

Grand Admiral Thrawn was higher in authority than Grand Moff Tarkin, and Vader gave him orders like anyone else...so friendship with the Emperor would get Tarkin some temporary power over Vader.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 11:36 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by overlord
What tells you they're friends? I never heard of that before.

The fact that they talk together as equals, including the use of the word 'friend'.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 11th, 2005 at 09:06 AM

Old Post Nov 10th, 2005 08:53 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Hmm.. Never noticed that. I really need to watch the OT again some time.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2005 10:23 AM
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Its also the fact that when Gl wrote Star Wars, he didn't know it would go on to be the blockbuster that it is, and Vader was supposed to be "the cheesy villain". not the chosen one and father to the eventual last jedi. So if you dont have someone planned to be the top dog, you arent going to have them at the top of the pecking order. But the "friend" idea works more for me than any other explanation.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 11th, 2005 06:47 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

I personally don't think they were exactly to be called friends, I think Grand Moff Tarkin was higher ranked but still a bit scared to be strict to the Sith warrior. But I haven't seen the first movie for a while anymore so I will see..

But Vader only seemed highest in rank since ROTJ, it wasn't the idea in the first two movies.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2005 05:45 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Well, Tarkin and Vader both have different uses. Tarkin is older, no doubt experienced in warfare and in dealing with imperialistic doctrine, and apparently was qualified enough to have complete control over the Death Star, which is what? Filled with millions of Imperial personnel. This makes him pretty well... Up there.

There's also the fact that Vader was originally never meant to be the villain; Tarkin was.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2005 11:39 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maifoshis

tarkin had the death star designed and built for the emperor in the secret maw installation by a team of scientists which he led and charged the admiral daala the first female admiral in the empire to guard them. when the death star prototype was presented to tarkin he awarded the designer a medal on the spot the emperor therefore put tarkin in charge of the death star construction and in command of it when it was operational so on board he was in command but lord vader answered to no one but the emperor

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 04:24 AM
Click here to Send maifoshis a Private Message Find more posts by maifoshis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Commas, periods, for gods sake man, give us something to work with here!!! J/k. basically, tarkin was an officer, Vader was a sith, so who in their right mind would order a sith around if they weren't friends? Or at least cordial with one another for the emperor's sake.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 05:15 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

it is pretty obvious that tarkin was there to keep vader on a short leash.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 03:16 PM
Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote