KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » who is the greatist guitarist

who is the greatist guitarist
Started by: darth tyrant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ireland god

it as to be brian may or slash
devil rock raver shifty

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 11:14 AM
ireland god is currently offline Click here to Send ireland god a Private Message Find more posts by ireland god Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cindy8219
I have died and will die.

Eric Clapton for me.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 06:38 PM
cindy8219 is currently offline Click here to Send cindy8219 a Private Message Find more posts by cindy8219 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

John Petrucci stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 07:26 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Libertine
of course it does. I personally think he is one the greatest guitarists.

Yeah but that's personal preference. You may like him that much, but factually he is nowhere even near Britain's best. He uses way too many effect and his guitar has about 90 different features to allow him to do that.

Many of the REAL greatest could make him look like an amputee with a Fisher Price guitar.

This is about overall. Matt Bellamy, regardless of how much you like him, isn't on the level praise at which you put him.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 02:42 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bierbommetje

Influence is probably the best non-opinion-based factor to judge a mucisian.

And in that category, Hendrix wins hands down.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 04:54 PM
Bierbommetje is currently offline Click here to Send Bierbommetje a Private Message Find more posts by Bierbommetje Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BeachBunny
Creme De la Creme

Hendrix

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 09:21 PM
BeachBunny is currently offline Click here to Send BeachBunny a Private Message Find more posts by BeachBunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Hendrix

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 10:07 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm Reaper
The Patient Mental

all the guys from Iron Maiden! Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, Dave Murray and Steve Harris. Also the guys from Judas Priest KK Downing and Glenn Tipton! Yay

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 09:52 AM
Grimm Reaper is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm Reaper a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm Reaper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Steve Harris is a bass player...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 12:17 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VoodooChile89

Alot of people are completely shallow about this 'best guitar player' business
But my list will probably piss some people off... but I can back myself up

TOM MORELLO (Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave) - he is constantly inventing new ways to conquer a guitar, ways that other guitarists can't understand

SYNYSTER GATES (Avenged Sevenfold) - he is the backbone of all A7X songs, he writes all the music for the guitars and he attended the Musician's Institute in Hollywood and graduated with a degree from the Guitar Institute of Technology sector of the program.

JIMMY PAGE (Led Zeppelin) - his writing is remarkable. Zeppelin riffs get stuck in your head for pretty much your entire life!

DIMEBAG DARRELL (Pantera/Damageplan) - I don't need to explain this one!

JIMI HENDRIX (The Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band Of Gypsys) - He was completely self-taught and one of the best improvisers of all time!

Finally, two guitarists I'm surprised weren't posted yet...
RANDY RHOADS (Quiet Riot/Ozzy Osbourne) - SHOULDN'T need to explain Randy!

ZAKK WYLDE (Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society) - the fastest fingers in the goddamn world! solos are godlike... he plays pinch harmonics better than ANY other guitarist!

Last edited by VoodooChile89 on Dec 5th, 2005 at 03:57 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 03:43 PM
VoodooChile89 is currently offline Click here to Send VoodooChile89 a Private Message Find more posts by VoodooChile89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VoodooChile89

I would like to add someone who wasn't on my list before that should be...

JEFF LOOMIS (Nevermore) - Ever heard of him? If you haven't, it's your loss... If all guitarists these days were like Loomis then I might actually be more interested in today's music... (He also made random apperances on Bam's CKY dvd's)

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 02:25 PM
VoodooChile89 is currently offline Click here to Send VoodooChile89 a Private Message Find more posts by VoodooChile89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't care for anyone who associates themselves with that mug.

No, stop saying Synyster Gates just because you like him. He's nowhere near candidate for best guitarist ever, is he? No. Let's be realistic. He's nowhere near worthy of being mentioned with those names.

He's quite fast. So is Malmsteen, big deal.

I always thought these greatest threads were about the greatest, not "Name as many guitarists as you can".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 04:27 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

I'm going to go with Hendrix, Satriani, and Vai in no order for various reasons. They're all 1A. Then there's a case that can be made for the 1Bs.

I'm an aspiring one-day great guitarist myself stick out tongue, been playing for 6 years...consider myself an intermediate...good enough to play in a rock cover band in bar and taverns....probably not going to get any better than that.

However, for those who think Angus Young of AC/DC is a good guitar player, you're unfortunately mistaken or can't see that he really doesn't play anything other than simple chords. Don't get me wrong, I like Angus, but the music of AC/DC I think is clouding some of your perceptions of Angus' playing abilities.

I often wondered why my guitar instructor asked me to listen to Angus first when I first started to pick up a guitar 6 years ago.....I know why, or knew so after 6 months....nothing he does is difficult.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 04:49 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nyeggers

the best guitarist ever is synister gates from avenged sevenfold i saw him live and he was ****ing awesome.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 05:25 PM
Nyeggers is currently offline Click here to Send Nyeggers a Private Message Find more posts by Nyeggers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Kids....ugh, no sense of history. But, I used to be just like you newbies. stick out tongue laughing

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 05:33 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is what I mean.

"Synyster is the greatest ever, better than any other guitarist."

"Why?"

"Because I saw him live and I believe him to be awesome."

Irrelevant, he's not the best ever. Fact. Yes, fact.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 06:16 PM
bakerboy

Add to the list the great George Harrison. He was a amazing guitar player.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 06:45 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why are people just naming really good guitarists or guitarists they like? That's not the point of the thread.

The point of this thread is the greatest ever.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:02 PM
VoodooChile89

The only reason I named so many is because I couldn't decide which one was the best out of all of them... and what's your beef with Syn? you don't have to like A7X... but you should not try and get other people to live by YOUR opinion... do you play guitar AC? and did you read Synyster's credentials? I think you just have TOO much respect for the oldies! I mean don't get me wrong... I LOVE THE OLDIES (just check out my list above) and if they had the technology we did today, they'd be even better... but I'm not just talking ability... because that's not even half of it... I'm also speaking of writing ability and stage/studio presence... so just keep that in mind.

Last edited by VoodooChile89 on Dec 9th, 2005 at 02:46 PM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 02:41 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

whistle

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 02:45 PM