KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?

Is Superman the ultimate Superhero?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (37): « First ... « 34 35 [36] 37 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The-Hulk
Well Superman was the first "super" hero that sparked off the comic book boom that was the Golden Age of comics,

he can never truly be topped.

True.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 30th, 2009 08:03 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insomniatric
The Spider

Silver Surfer could take him, not easily though. But, I've heard he could encase him with kryptonite, bye bye Superman.

Superman still awesome though, he's my 3rd favorite, next to Hulk and Spidey.

Sig and Avatar made by Steverules_2 (Thank you!)

Old Post Jun 6th, 2009 01:54 AM
Insomniatric is currently offline Click here to Send Insomniatric a Private Message Find more posts by Insomniatric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Forever Nick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Back in the old days he was because Superheroes where what one wanted to be...gods. Superman was a god.

Now in modern time's most people want and like Heroes they can relate to....we want the fatall flaw that still makes them human. Superman does not have that...he is out of touch with todays society. People love Wolverine, Pre BND Spidey, Deadpool...most marvel heroes in general, thats why the sell more.

I like Supes and I am reading World of New Krypton...hopefully he decides to put Zod down for good....i doubt that though, DC wouldn't want to taint their MESSIAH.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 01:54 AM
Forever Nick is currently offline Click here to Send Forever Nick a Private Message Find more posts by Forever Nick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

and what is wrong with having a messiah? whats wrong with having a character that is totally good? the heroes with the fatal flaw are starting to become a little too cliched. superman is the embodiment of good, of all the best things humanity strives to become. we need characters like him to remind us of what we should, and hopefully someday can and will, be.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2009 10:39 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Forever Nick
Restricted

Account Restricted

I didn't say there was anything wrong with that. I was just stating what modern society likes in a hero

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 12:14 AM
Forever Nick is currently offline Click here to Send Forever Nick a Private Message Find more posts by Forever Nick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Throughout history, people have been attracted to character who have flaws. It's because we also have flaws. Superman barely does.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 12:18 AM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

and yet, throughout superman's history he has been incredibly popular...

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 04:19 AM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Forever Nick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nowadays Wolverine and Spiderman are more popular than Superman, Hulk mght be about to pass him in popularity aswell.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 04:21 AM
emporerpants

maybe, maybe not. just have to wait and see. to me, the anti hero angle has been overplayed to death. you can blame the 90's for that. pretty much EVERYONE had a tude and too cool for school attitude. also, i get tired of all the murderous characters killing the hell out of everyone and people calling them heroes. wolverine is not a character that children should strive to be like.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 04:23 AM
Forever Nick
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree with you. I saw a young boy no older than 10 buy the new Wolverine game, with his mother right behind him. I was disgusted.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 12:39 PM
xJLxKing

Originally posted by emporerpants
and yet, throughout superman's history he has been incredibly popular...

Superman isn't human, but he does have his flaws.

Also, people like power

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 05:33 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moac
Majestic

Hi all, I just joined this fine Forum. big grin

I want to address some things and add my two cents, so to speak,

1. I agree that Superman is the most Iconic and "greatest" superhero of all time.
Superman is called "the man of tomorrow" and "the man of steel" for a reason. He is there to inspire mankind, to give them hope for a brighter future.

His powers are only a part of why he is the greatest Superhero of all time.

Superman might very well NOT be the "strongest" mightiest" hero there ever was. But he sure is the only one that is there when "shit hits the fan."

Its a job for, Superman.

2. Why do some of you compare Goku/Dragonball with Superman?

Are they in the same league strength and speed wise?

Superman is by far much Stronger in raw strength. and speed. period!

Honestly speaking,

Goku is not even a superhero, He never goes out seeking for people that are in need of help, No. He never goes out to help the cat down from the tree. No sir...
Goku is a ordinary man with extraordinary powers. trying to live a life with a smile on his face , helping people only if it effects him personally.

Those trades are not really those of a True Superhero.
Remember what one wise old man said.
With great power comes great responsibility , Goku does not use his powers on a regular basis to better the world. Even thought he very well could.

3. Ask yourself what Super-hero will not just your children's children still be talking/knowing about but also the common folks, people that don't watch cartoons or read comics? it wont be . Goku "he´s really no superhero".
Will it be spiderman? Captain Marvel? hulk? Superman?

I think it will be "the man of steel " the man of tomorrow.
Superman.

-Moac

Last edited by Moac on Jul 26th, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 10:14 PM
Moac is currently offline Click here to Send Moac a Private Message Find more posts by Moac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

If you ask me, you can't just discount Goku as a superhero, mainly because of the very nebulous definition of the term. For example, Batman is generally considered to be a superhero, yet he has no powers, and most people say that a superhero has to have super powers. The Punisher is also considered a superhero, and he not only has no powers, but he is mainly motivated by personal reasons (avenging his family) rather than the general public interest, and he is not shy about killing.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 02:32 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

i really don't consider batman wolverine or the punisher as superheroes. mainly because of their personas. they're not fitting of the superhero title.

i don't mean superhero in the mighty sense but in terms of the peaceful part of it. these three are emotionally disturbed individuals. not so much batman (kinda). Even though he almost victimizes his catches. And the Punisher and Wolverine kill people. A superhero no no.

Superman is a wholesome and unselfish and respects all life. Maybe not the (bad) person, but his life. And that partly what makes him great. And a superhero.

I remember in one episode of smallville teammate green arrow killed lex luthor, clark kents' hated rival in the series and clark told green arrow that "you aren't one of us anymore.." because he killed lex! their enemy! think batsy, wolverine or the punisher'd say that! No!

Wolves or the pun'll probably ask you you want scotch or gin. bats would just brush it off..lol

all four a cool to the max to me, but supes is tops.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 29th, 2009 07:51 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I think Superman is synomous with the word superhero. Whether you like him or not, you'd be a fool not to think that Superman isn't one of the most iconic superheroes of all time, if not the most. Superman is not my favorite superhero of all time (not even in my top 5), but I respect what he stands for and represents.

Is he the "best" or "most powerful superhero"? Not in my opinion for the first and a resounding no for the second.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2009 09:29 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I think Superman is synomous with the word superhero. Whether you like him or not, you'd be a fool not to think that Superman isn't one of the most iconic superheroes of all time, if not the most. Superman is not my favorite superhero of all time (not even in my top 5), but I respect what he stands for and represents.

Is he the "best" or "most powerful superhero"? Not in my opinion for the first and a resounding no for the second.

I was about to bite into this post so hard before 'bout half those "Superman"'s were "Goku"'s. Or maybe I was hallucinating that because the page skipped down.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2009 09:39 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I was about to bite into this post so hard before 'bout half those "Superman"'s were "Goku"'s. Or maybe I was hallucinating that because the page skipped down.

lol, yeah that happens to me sometimes on the forums too. I'll see some shit just spring out at me laughing

Old Post Dec 30th, 2009 09:43 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi90

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
i really don't consider batman wolverine or the punisher as superheroes. mainly because of their personas. they're not fitting of the superhero title.

i don't mean superhero in the mighty sense but in terms of the peaceful part of it. these three are emotionally disturbed individuals. not so much batman (kinda). Even though he almost victimizes his catches. And the Punisher and Wolverine kill people. A superhero no no.

Superman is a wholesome and unselfish and respects all life. Maybe not the (bad) person, but his life. And that partly what makes him great. And a superhero.

I remember in one episode of smallville teammate green arrow killed lex luthor, clark kents' hated rival in the series and clark told green arrow that "you aren't one of us anymore.." because he killed lex! their enemy! think batsy, wolverine or the punisher'd say that! No!

Wolves or the pun'll probably ask you you want scotch or gin. bats would just brush it off..lol

all four a cool to the max to me, but supes is tops.

d
Supes a hero? Yes, but is a bit of a fascist. he deals with villains and fellow heroes in absolutes. Oh and supes has killed before. In comics and film. Spidey is actually alot more wholesome if you compare the two.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2009 04:43 PM
jedi90 is currently offline Click here to Send jedi90 a Private Message Find more posts by jedi90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

but over all supes is the greater out of the top 5 main comic book characters.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 1st, 2010 06:42 AM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by jedi90
d
Supes a hero? Yes, but is a bit of a fascist. he deals with villains and fellow heroes in absolutes. Oh and supes has killed before. In comics and film. Spidey is actually alot more wholesome if you compare the two.

A fascist? Nah. No more than any other superhero. Superheroes are by nature "fascist" because they use force to keep people in line. I've always believed though that to a point fascism is a good thing.

Spidey also deals with way less responsibility.

Superman doesn't deal in absolutes and anyone who's ever read his comics knows that. He's as human as any of us and despite the image of the perfect boyscout he has lots of doubt and anxiety and has admitted to being dead wrong about a course of action on many occasions when confronted after the fact. Which is in a way more than can be said of a guy like Batman who usually just sulks and broods when he makes a mistake.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 1st, 2010 08:52 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote