KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » The 2,000,000th post game

The 2,000,000th post game
Started by: It's xyz!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (51735): « First ... « 50258 50259 [50260] 50261 50262 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

1. Been awhile. If you remember your handle, pm me.

2. Separate, general:

While It Lasts link ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=auEUNM4_usA

Muhammad Ali, after loss to Ken Norton, on Johnny Carson Tonight show.

(Ali mentions "Hurricane" Rubin Carter at the end.)

Old Post Feb 16th, 2019 10:23 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

While It Lasts ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1hlDDsfKvU
Fuudo Nemo Mika mic on 2 Birdie

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 11:46 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 06:13 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 06:15 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 06:17 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 07:00 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 19th, 2019 07:23 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 01:59 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 02:42 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 02:50 PM
bluewaterrider

I was thinking of a scene from the 1990s movie "Fresh" featuring Samuel L. Jackson. The titular character is a young boy living in a drug-infested neighborhood who is estranged from his father. Both love each other, but the father is apparently an alcoholic who was ordered by the court not to have official contact with his son. Nevertheless, the son visits him every chance he gets to play chess with him in the park. In the scene that comes to mind, the father notes that the son, like many chess players the world over, seems to have an inordinate liking for his Queen and Knights, and plays as if losing them is actually painful. Fresh will use this counsel in the larger context of his life in the slums to deal with the drug dealers blighting his life and those of others in very unexpected ways, but I couldn't help but think how well Jackson really was describing the psychology of chess players in a far more general sense.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFHy2D30avc

Somewhat fascinating to see, though I understood perfectly why; my opponent allows the taking of bishop, knight, and rook in exchange for my queen.

No mystery why he wanted to initiate the trade; taking his queen in retaliation for mine would destroy my castle and my king's protection.

No mystery why he ignores my sacking of his first piece: Who would ignore his (my) queen being taken? Surely I wouldn't fail to respond to my woman being taken away. It's the most powerful piece on the board, and greatest among those that have count-able value. And then he'd simply take my piece after the trade and have an advantage in position with my king all opened up for further attack. But I don't retaliate in that way. I just keep doing what I was doing.

No mystery why he allows my taking of his second piece; I've allowed his Queen to escape! Even after he took my own! He's escaped! And he still has his "super" piece! Hurray!

But there's no way to prevent my taking of his 3rd piece now, and I've not only kept the all-important shielding of my own king, I've destroyed HIS castle, while actually winning the exchange we had in terms of pure point value.
The queen he took from me was worth 9 points. My taking of his rook and knight and bishop with my own bishop was worth roughly 11.
Score one for Samuel Jackson.

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 03:33 PM
bluewaterrider

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Continuation of the game above.
I ALMOST managed an outright checkmate because of my opponent's desire to keep his queen safe, but he recovered his senses and made the correct exchange.
I went on to win this game, but it wasn't remarkable to me for that, only that it seemed SUCH a vivid illustration of Jackson's movie monologue.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 03:46 PM
bluewaterrider

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPfWThToClo

Canadian Jordan Peterson, Gulag Archipelago.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 01:30 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 02:04 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 02:06 PM
bluewaterrider

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TGYeyHSIbhQ

potentially beneficial s.s.s. advice

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 02:19 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 03:29 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 09:51 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 09:53 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 09:54 PM