KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » The 2,000,000th post game

The 2,000,000th post game
Started by: It's xyz!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (51707): « First ... « 50261 50262 [50263] 50264 50265 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 14th, 2019 06:01 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 14th, 2019 06:06 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

I learned the actress who plays Denarys Targaryen, Emilia Clarke, though apparently having a portion of her heritage from the Indian subcontinent, hails from England, and, like fellow co-star Lena Headey, plays Sarah Connor in one of the various Terminator productions. Clarke's effort to follow in the footsteps of Linda Hamilton even during Game of Thrones filming seasons would explain a lot.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2019 06:18 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 17th, 2019 01:36 PM
bluewaterrider

https://zodml.org/sites/default/fil...r /> dition.pdf

Iliad. Robert Fagles' crappy edition. Can't seem to find an online Richard Lattimore to save my life ...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 04:53 PM
bluewaterrider

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkzRo8CWDw

I understood neither the commentators nor many of the comments here, but this was a good match ...
(Scamby versus KaneBlueRiver)

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 07:00 PM
bluewaterrider

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHeUWqqtBzU

Irina Gladkaya, circa 2013 or thereabouts, pulling over 200 pounds via armwrestling stance, presumably for some local Russian TV show.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:49 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 08:35 PM
bluewaterrider

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fOcJ2ZED3p8

Above, entitled lobsters as Prison Food/whatever, illustrates how perceptions can be made to change over time, via advertising, propaganda, and even price index changes over the course of generations.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 07:16 PM
bluewaterrider

https://tv.avclub.com/hound-of-love...urpr-1798264050

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yEV3ayhuO3s

Intentionally ditzy-sounding yet good, practical room cleaning advice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g
Carly Simon, vain; atmosphere reminds me of summer evenings, 1980s, especially on the weekends ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8niyG-cPgs
More famous Carly Simon song, featured in "Spy Who Loved Me".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Zz_UNFLmw
"Don't Cry Out Loud" Melissa Manchester.
Don't particularly like the message, or the purpose it's been co-opted for in recent years, but I like the singing, and this woman's voice was one of the first I ever heard over radio, TV, or record.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 09:01 PM
bluewaterrider

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Zz_UNFLmw

Posting again because I omitted one thing; inasmuch as I love the voice, I'm ALSO looking to discover if the closing horn section is a sample of some mainstream classical/instrumental piece. Might plumb works of Chicago a little later, the most famous popular band using horns in this same 1970s/1980s era.
Possibly I'm confusing this with one other song with such an unusual ending, but I guess this period featured quite a few artists showing off their classical training backgrounds ...

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 09:11 PM
bluewaterrider

Stefan Molyneux explains the significance of the Russian Collusion investigation
(it's probably NOT what most people think).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VwLhEK1b7ys
(24:22 to end)

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 09:18 AM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 09:52 AM
bluewaterrider

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

The Latvian Gambit, "possibly the worst opening in chess" according to Dennis Monokroussos, and my personal favorite, as I've probably already mentioned on some previous page in this thread.

How can you not like an opening that has the following said of it?

"What is required to play the Latvian Gambit with any degree of success is a sharp eye for tactics and a mental attitude of total contempt for whatever theory has to say about it."

— Paul van der Sterren, Fundamental Chess Openings

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 10:19 AM
bluewaterrider

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Playing the Latvian requires you to be playing as Black, your opponent to have e4 as his first move (which is just what people do 50% of the time, regardless of there being at least 16 possible alternative first moves), and then for him or her to bring his knight out to attack e5, which may not happen 50% of the time, but, as most players are taught "knights before bishops" (whatever that means) WILL happen a lot. You can refer to the first image of my previous post to see what the simple setup for the Latvian looks like.

From there, I don't know if "attack as if your life depends on it" is sound advice, but that's more or less what I do, and, more often than not, it works out.

Note that my opponent, playing as White, is ranked 200 points higher than me.
Even so, after only 11 moves, he's effectively checkmated.

Reason is that the Latvian, especially with sacrificial play, destroys your opponent's ability to castle, very nearly neutralizes White's innate "move first" advantage, exposes White's king to attack, encourages rapid development of pieces on your side while his development is slowed, and clears (after YOU successfully castle) an open file for the rook to empower pieces and/or disguise checks. All of that happened in the game above. Note that it ALMOST ended with my early loss, however. Had my opponent at any point been able to SAFELY bring his Queen to h5 before I castled, and put me in check, the game could have been his in one or two moves. The Latvian may not quite make chess an exciting gambler's game, but, for me, at least, it comes close enough.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 11:06 AM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 11:48 AM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 09:21 PM
bluewaterrider

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

I remember either reading in a book or seeing online some chapter, section, or article entitled "The Evil(s) of Pawn-Grabbing" ...

Reminded of that as I played the above. My opponent literally snatched every pawn offered. When I tried to defend a pawn, he removed the defender, then took that now unprotected pawn on the next turn.
Unfortunately for him or her, chess is different from checkers and other games where taking the most material off the board usually wins.
Actions concerning the king on either side are what matter most.
After the last and most brazen pawn move, I simultaneously took the defender of his Queen AND attacked his king. The latter had to be defended to the exclusion of the first, effectively winning the game for me.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 11:41 AM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 12:06 PM
bluewaterrider

Mickie James before she was famous, as Alexis Laree ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gf8V1UCJAYU

... and later as herself:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vFvd6jR1gZo

(versus Beth Phoenix on 4/14/2008)

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 12:59 PM