KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Question about Hard Drive Space

Question about Hard Drive Space
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Question about Hard Drive Space

The current total/max capacity in my Local (C) drive is 37.2 gigs, but I have 1 gig of RAM.

Now, I have more RAM than my friend definetely, but she has around 56 gigs of total capacity in her Local (C) drive, give or take a few gigs. I was stumpped.

How can I increase my gig size in my Local (C) Drive. I always run out of space and more gigs would be a life saver.

Anyone know how?

Thanks.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 05:07 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

You mean you want to make your total capacity, say, 70 instead of 37.2? If so, you need to buy another hard drive. RAM has absolutley nothing to do with the physical size of your drive.

Or, if you just want to free up space, delete existing programs that you don't use, and clear your temporary files.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 05:21 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

it reminds me that I need new disc.........

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:07 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

How big is yours, Clovie? Or is it just old?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:54 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

no...it is just getting full... it's only 120 GB embarrasment

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:55 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Only 120 GB? I've got a 40 GB harddrive embarrasment I desperately need a new one.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 06:58 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

I have less than 10 free..and it needs some space to work properly..sad

and you do need a new one yes

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 07:00 PM
Peach
mordrem

I have less than 5 gb free right now.

My PSD files and music take up most of my space erm

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 07:04 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

yeah.. I have similar..
tell parents to get you a new one for *thinks about closest occasion.* Santa's Day yes

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 07:07 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

I have a 250 GB, and with all the video work I do, I still need a spare.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 07:27 PM
FistOfThe North

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JKozzy
You mean you want to make your total capacity, say, 70 instead of 37.2? If so, you need to buy another hard drive. RAM has absolutley nothing to do with the physical size of your drive.

Or, if you just want to free up space, delete existing programs that you don't use, and clear your temporary files.

I see...

And how can an increase in gigs help PC performance besides storage, like say with, Pc games and Pc performance? What, things move faster?

And I now know that a greater/higher capacity drive allows for faster transmissions of data to a from the PC to Hard Drive and vice versa, right?

And thanks for the info..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 08:42 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

what do you mean by transform data from PC to hard drive?

I thoguht Hard Drive is a part of PC

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:33 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Clov, a Hard Drive is a part of the PC. What he meant by that, is when the Hard Drive communicates with the CPU, (Pentium 4, whathaveyou) some hard drives communicate faster and more efficently.

Fist: Larger hard drive/more HD space gives applications more temporary room, and easier time storing those files. It also allows for less fragmentation, and when a drive is defragmented properly, it should be easier for Windows and other programs to search for data on the hard drive, as whole files, and not pieces. If you have a teeny hard drive, then sometimes fragmenting is more common.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:46 PM
Clovie

oh..got it now.

and when you don't have free space, it is saying that defragmentation can't happen blink

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:56 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Yup. When it defragments, it basically rearranges everything on your hard drive to be more organized. Just like cleaning your room; if there isn't an empty spot on your floor, you can't move anything around if you have no room to move other stuff. In that case, you'd throw out (delete) stuff for it to be able to defragment.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:57 PM
FistOfThe North

Clov, a Hard Drive is a part of the PC. What he meant by that, is when the Hard Drive communicates with the CPU, (Pentium 4, whathaveyou) some hard drives communicate faster and more efficently.

Fist: Larger hard drive/more HD space gives applications more temporary room, and easier time storing those files. It also allows for less fragmentation, and when a drive is defragmented properly, it should be easier for Windows and other programs to search for data on the hard drive, as whole files, and not pieces. If you have a teeny hard drive, then sometimes fragmenting is more common.

So it has no effects with PC gameplay performance since games are not really files per se. or are they? If so what effects would a higher capacity have on a game. I'm asking cause I'm a hardcore gamer that loves playing my games smoothly without lag..

Thanks..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:58 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Definately helps out for games, especially when/if they update themselves. Rule of thumb: bigger is usually better. PC games are most definately files. Open up any game folder, and you'll see the files that run the game.

(please log in to view the image)

Notice for the game Republic Commando, all the files needed for the maps of the game, the sounds, the videos, character models, menus, etc. Games are much more complex applications than you think.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:12 PM
FistOfThe North

Definately helps out for games, especially when/if they update themselves. Rule of thumb: bigger is usually better. PC games are most definately files. Games are much more complex applications than you think.

So how will high gig capacity affect gameplay. Will games move faster or will load times be affected or what?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:30 PM
Peach
mordrem

Helps with working in Photoshop, too (which is what I primarily use my computer for) -- when what you're doing requires more memory than you have RAM, then it creates a temporary 'scratch' disc on the harddrive where it saves what you're doing, but will be deleted when you're finished.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:38 PM
eggmayo

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
So how will high gig capacity affect gameplay. Will games move faster or will load times be affected or what?

The emptier your hard disk, the faster games will run.
Basically the less crap you have on your hard disk the better.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 03:20 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote