KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » "Superman Has Too Many Powers"

"Superman Has Too Many Powers"
Started by: SupezM'

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SupezM'

"Superman Has Too Many Powers"

For all those who bash Superman because of his wide range of powers...

Was he not the original? What other traits from superheroes could he be based on? Because he was the original his abilities had open range, the creators made him the ultimate superhero, one all other superheroes would be compared against. The original hero.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2005 10:54 PM
SupezM' is currently offline Click here to Send SupezM' a Private Message Find more posts by SupezM' Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GODOFALL1

WHO THE HELL IS BASHING SUPERMAN. AND WHO SAYS HE HAS TOO MANY POWERS? THOSE GUYS ARE IDIOTS! HE IS SUPERMAN AFTERALL. CHECK THE "SUPER" PART.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 04:58 PM
GODOFALL1 is currently offline Click here to Send GODOFALL1 a Private Message Find more posts by GODOFALL1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

Same powers we have. I'd like to see what's behind the skirt, I like highs, strength, we get fever-heat vision, we blow candles, ect...

Old Post Dec 17th, 2005 04:34 PM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bushwacker

I think it got out of control before COIE when every writer seemed to add to the long list of powers and abilities Supes possessed. But he IS Superman and supposed to possess powers and abilities far beyond mortal men.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 04:22 PM
Bushwacker is currently offline Click here to Send Bushwacker a Private Message Find more posts by Bushwacker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Superman does NOT have too many powers.
His senses are passive, so, shouldnt really be factored in.

He has flight, invulnerability (passive again), strength, speed, and heat vision, cold breath as ranged offense.

There are many, MANY characters with more powers.
Its not Supes' fault the powers he does have, are damn near off the scale...stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 11:06 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

No, I agree, Superman DOES have too many powers. That's kind of the package though. He is very beatable, as we've seen many times. He's just picked up a bunch of abilities along the way.

He's got flight, MASSIVE invulnerability, MASSIVE super speed, MASSIVE super strength, super breath, freeze breath, heat vision, microscopic vision, x-ray vision, RIDICULOUSLY UNREALISTIC telescopic vision, the ability to combine any and all of his visions or powers in general, super stamina, RIDICULOUSLY UNREALISTIC super hearing, the ability to survive off of NOTHING but solar radiation(and by nothing, I mean NOTHING, including food, water, OXYGEN, sleep, etc.), the ability to supercharge all of his abilities depending on amount of solar radiation he has access to, super THOUGHT PROCESS(meaning he can process and retain information on a superhuman level, to the point where he is fluent in thousands of alien languages, and can remember things in old age that happened millions of years ago), super longevity(meaning he can die from old age, but he was literally able to live for a billion years in one comic), super reaction, and even the ability to CREATE new superpowers. He literally shape-shifted into an ogre once, by mashing his face together, and changing it's shape/size/color and appearance.

Of course, this all depends on the version of Superman, but one of the most prevalent versions, the one before COIE's, has ALL of them. Mr. Myx phucked with him once, and made him sniff magic sneezing powder, so he flew to a distant galaxy in less than the second it took him to sneeze, and was destroying a small, sunless solar system in his sneezing fit.

That's why he's usually not allowed in versus threads... He's too strong. Unless his opponent is from DBZ. wink

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 05:21 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You proved my point there, by MASSIVE over use of the word massive, and citing passive powers.
Not to mention breaking out every off hand power you could think of. That can be done with heroes.
Hulk has super reflexes, can absorb radiation, see ghosts and astral forms, has a healing factor, has super breath...
Iron Man's armor realistically has a bazillion abilities if you wanted to list them all.

Nah, Supes has 5-6 main powers; passive (but for one) vision powers. He's just got them in spades.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 11:43 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

IMO, Superman has an excellent powerset: not too much (like, eg, Surfer or Thor), not too little (like a pure brick), and easy to grasp if you consider what I posted in another thread...
quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
With two exceptions, Superman's traditional/standard powerset, I think, is quite simple: basically an amplified human body. Stronger, tougher, see better, etc. The only exceptions are flight and heat vision. But even then, flight "evolved" from Golden Age Superman's superleaping; and HV developed when the heating effects of X-ray vision (superseeing, like tele- or microscopic vision), were made into a separate power.

Even freeze breath, before it was given a scientific spin, was basically an amp of a person's ability to, say, cool off hot soup by blowing on it.
Based on the above: saying Superman has too many powers is almost like saying an ordinary person has too many abilities.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 01:51 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Agreed.
That post seems familiar, i think i've read it before...
Also, saying Supes is really strong doesnt make his strength any more than one power.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 07:36 PM