KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...
Started by: Harvey Dent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WindDancer
And you fail to give credit where is due. Burton may have committed some errors in the film. However, give credit to the man for transforming and re-introducing The Caped Crusader as a dark and terrifying heroic character that Bob Kane had originally intended. Burton's illustration of Batman did justice for the character.

Remenber! prior to the release of the 1989 film. Many people regarded Batman as the colorful and corny hero of the 1960's TV series.

Um Hello?! have you heard of a man called Frank Miller and a graphic novel called the Dark Knight Returns?! Burton wasn't the first one to do this 'dark and terrifying theme' with the Batman character. I don't care what Burtons intensions were with this character on the DVD, Keaton didn't play Batman as dark as terrifying as you think he did.

The Joker was done well with that film I'll give him that.

Coin lands on the bad head - we hit 'em hard."

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 07:00 AM
Harvey Dent is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Dent a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Dent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

Originally posted by Mando
Most definatley. It was able to transform from Adam west all the way to Christian bale, thanks to Burton.

You should give more thanks to Frank Miller and other writers of Batman graphic novels. You credit Burton way too much.

Graphic Novels like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, the Long Halloween is what inspired Nolan. He didn't care for Burton's work at all.

Burton had nothing to do with the way Bale played Batman.

Last edited by Harvey Dent on Dec 3rd, 2005 at 07:10 AM

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 07:04 AM
Harvey Dent is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Dent a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Dent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

Originally posted by WindDancer
Many Batman fans despise Adam West role as Batman. I've talk to some of them and they really hate it. I still love those cheesy one liners and comic situations he and Robin would get into it. That tv show may have been corny but I love it. laughing out loud

Adam West's portrayal of Batman was never ever meant to reflect Batman in the comics.

You are the one who thinks Burton did a better job with Batman and you're comparing his work to a TV show that wasn't even trying to reflect Batman from the comics. That show was intended to be a comedy and it worked in doing so. I have no idea why you are even comparing the two. laughing

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 07:08 AM
Dusty

Originally posted by Harvey Dent
You should give more thanks to Frank Miller and other writers of Batman graphic novels. You credit Burton way too much.

Graphic Novels like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, the Long Halloween is what inspired Nolan. He didn't care for Burton's work at all.

Burton had nothing to do with the way Bale played Batman.

I understand that. But Burton put down the milestone, movie wise.

If we would have adam west do all the movies, and then all of a sudden come out with Batman begins with bale, what the hell kind of feedback would they get from the audience?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 03:02 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Re: OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...I just saw Batman (1989) for the first time since I was a kid and noticed that Batman has heavy artillery equipped in his Batmobile and Batwing (chainguns, explosives, etc.) and tried to gun down the Joker and blows up buildings.

The movies seemed really bad to me an I don't see why Batman fans like this movie. (Unlike the first Superman movie which seems to have represented him correctly.)

Batman doesn't use guns or gun people down. Thus, Burton is very foolish when he was representing this character.

finally!!!! glad to see that there are finally some people here at kmc besides just a couple like there have only been in the past,that realise how bad burtons batman movies really are.finally i have encountered some people with logic and common sense who see how horrible his batman movies really are.Burton should have never been allowed near a batman franchise,he totally butchered to death batmans character.Burton and samm hamm the screenwriter had no business making a batman film. you are soooo right harvey dent,i cannot believe how the burton apologists accept these horrible movies,they betrayed the comic far worse than batman forever ever did and people are always dishing schumacher for the batman films,scumacher gets way too much unfair criticisem that he does not deserve,batman and robin was just plain god awful and horrible so he deserves criticisem for that batman movie,but burtons batman movies are far worse than anything schumacher did in batman forever,some of these burton apologists just refuse to take the blinders off and see the truth about that like me and you do though.they are hopeless to be reasoned with.

superman one and two stayed true to the source material thats why i am against another superman movie,its not needed.now batman begins WAS needed for the way burton screwed it up from the start.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Dec 4th, 2005 at 01:11 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 12:58 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Re: Re: OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

Originally posted by Mr Parker
finally!!!! glad to see that there are finally some people here at kmc besides just a couple like there have only been in the past,that realise how bad burtons batman movies really are.finally i have encountered some people with logic and common sense who see how horrible his batman movies really are.Burton should have never been allowed near a batman franchise,he totally butchered to death batmans character.Burton and samm hamm the screenwriter had no business making a batman film. you are soooo right harvey dent,i cannot believe how the burton apologists accept these horrible movies,they betrayed the comic far worse than batman forever ever did and people are always dishing schumacher for the batman films,scumacher gets way too much unfair criticisem that he does not deserve,batman and robin was just plain god awful and horrible so he deserves criticisem for that batman movie,but burtons batman movies are far worse than anything schumacher did in batman forever,some of these burton apologists just refuse to take the blinders off and see the truth about that like me and you do though.they are hopeless to be reasoned with.

I'll agree with you to an extent. Burtons "Batman" films were not near as good as Batman begins. But still better than 'Forever' and 'Batman and robin' IMO.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:03 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Doc Ock
Yeah what the hell was that???

Batman fires like 10 missiles and a huge spray of bullets at Joker,and not one hits him.Not one.And Joker just stands there with his arms stretched out too.

Then Joker pulls out a long barrelled gun and knocks the Batwing out of the sky with one shot.

LMAO! big grin

that is just one example of how even the first batman movie is so horribly written.its like his batplane is a piece of junk,he couldnt even hit the joker with all those bullets and then the batplane gets taken out with ONE bullet.god that is so pathectic for a batman movie that is SUPPOSE to be a serious adaptation. sick that movie sickens me because of idiotic boneheaded mistakes in that film such as that.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Dec 4th, 2005 at 01:12 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:04 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Re: Re: Re: OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

I'll agree with you to an extent. Burtons "Batman" films were not near as good as Batman begins. But still better than 'Forever' and 'Batman and robin' IMO.

i myself am grateful that schumacher came along.he made a much better casting choice in val kilmer,he at least fit the role and at least had the right look.keaton as batman was as laughable as burt reynolds as boss hogg because he didnt even colse to fitting the role either.schumacher at least cared about making a good casting choice.burton did not care about pissing on the fans casting keaton,he only did so because he felt comfortable working with him.also i hate burton far worse than schumachers batman movies for turning him into a cowardly killer killing the joker was the ultimate sin fot that movie,I wanted to see batman die for that for betraying the comicbook.

harvey dent is so right,BURTON is such a moron when it comes to making batman movies.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Dec 4th, 2005 at 01:22 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:09 AM
Mr Parker

Originally posted by jgiant
Batman was awesome...Batman Returns was awesome...it was just another incarnation of batman that imo was kick ass...

another one of those burton apologists who just refuse to take the blinders off and see how bad these movies really are. roll eyes (sarcastic) this post should read-

batman was crap,batman returns was even worse crap.there NOW you have an intelligent post jgiant. big grin

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:19 AM
Dusty

Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

Originally posted by Mr Parker
i myself am grateful that schumacher came along.he made a much better casting choice in val kilmer,he at least fit the role and at least had the right look.

Actually, Schumacher really intended Alec baldwin, or Tom hanks to play the role as "Batman" before Kilmer popped into the picture.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:37 AM
Mr Parker

thats why I say thank god for schumacher,he actually had casting choices in mind when casting for batman.tom hanks and especially baldwin,would have been great in that role.burton should have cast baldwin back then,but he did not care about making the best casting choice possible.he only cast keaton ONLY because he was friends with him.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 01:51 AM
Dusty

OK, I've been thinking.

Tim Burton has really ****ed up some shit.

Tim burton changed the story, he says that The joker killed Batman's parents, but really it was Joe chill. What's with that? But WAIT! there's more. He originally wanted Michael Jackson to perform some songs for 'Batman'. And Billy Dee williams was casted as Harvey Dent. That is an absolutely horrific casting choice.

And we shouldn't really blame Tim burton for the mistake that Michael keaton was casted as batman. We should blame Bob Kane, because he gave tim burton the OK to do so. But then again Burton is still partially responsible.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 02:23 AM
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

what do you expect from his casting, he would only cast people he was comfortable working with because you know...he's shy. Thats why he would usually work with Depp or Keaton.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 03:41 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Silverstein
what do you expect from his casting, he would only cast people he was comfortable working with because you know...he's shy. Thats why he would usually work with Depp or Keaton.

Shyness isn't exactly a great attribute in the film world.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 03:49 AM
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

hmm yea that was one thing that really bothered me about the batwing getting shot down like that, i mean all those gatling gun rounds n missles COMPLETELY missed jack nicholson, and then he reaches in his pants and pulls out a 10 foot 1/2 inch diameter barrel and shoots the batwing down in one shot....omg yes that was stupid, and another thing, i didnt like Keaton as Batman partly because he was out of shape, and half-bald....that does not portray bruce wayne at all, he is a good looking attractive, athletic man with a full head of hair....but still, IMO batman & robin and forever were much worse im not going as far as harvey dent and mr parker here, but yes 'Batman' was flawed and it was underlooked in many many ways....but then again, ur comparing it to what?, Batman Begins?, which was a flawless portrayal of what Batman's about...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 04:19 AM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

I understand that. But Burton put down the milestone, movie wise.

If we would have adam west do all the movies, and then all of a sudden come out with Batman begins with bale, what the hell kind of feedback would they get from the audience?

Adam West was only cast in a comedy role for Batman. Plus West was like 50+ at the time so why are you even mentioning his name?!

Movie wise, Burton was the only one doing Batman movies at the time so I guess it is foolish to compare his work to anythign else.

Last edited by Harvey Dent on Dec 4th, 2005 at 08:17 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 08:12 AM
bakerboy

Totally agree with Harvey. Normally, Tim Burton is a brillaint director, but he was a total moron in his batman movies. As Harvey said, he didnt invent anything, only he put on screen the dark tone of the 80s comics that Frank Miller and another artists did. And their movies not werent only unfaithful, also they were very bad movies, with bad scripts and bad casting choices. That scene of the batwing and the joker is a clear example of the burton madness in those movies. Surely, the Schumacher movies were crap, but the Burton ones werent less crap.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 05:05 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tron
Shinigami Rep.

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...I just saw Batman (1989) for the first time since I was a kid and noticed that Batman has heavy artillery equipped in his Batmobile and Batwing (chainguns, explosives, etc.) and tried to gun down the Joker and blows up buildings.

The movies seemed really bad to me an I don't see why Batman fans like this movie. (Unlike the first Superman movie which seems to have represented him correctly.)

Batman doesn't use guns or gun people down. Thus, Burton is very foolish when he was representing this character.

Actually, the original Batman was killing off criminals left and right, some in a very f*cked up fashion.

Burton didn't do the best job, especially considering he didn't study up on the character more. But, it's not as horrible as you're making it out to be. Like WindDancer said, it was just another take on the Batman mythos. Sure you can thank The Dark Knight Returns for for making Batman dark, but you won't find very many people that know about it compared to those that know about the movie.

And you gotta give Burton credit for something, without him there wouldn't have been the inspiration for the animated series, or the Superman series, or Justice League, OR Justice League Unlimited. And, the mistakes him and Joel made helped make Batman Begins that much better.

Oh, and Keaton may not have been the best first choice, but he played the role well regardless.

Visit my city, or die at the hands of my ninjas

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 02:49 AM
Tron is currently offline Click here to Send Tron a Private Message Find more posts by Tron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

Did burtons Batman inspire the Animated Series?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 03:30 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Silverstein
Did burtons Batman inspire the Animated Series?

The Batman comics inspired the Animated series. stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 03:32 AM