KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...
Started by: Harvey Dent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « First ... « 25 26 [27]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Damn Gen Y don't understand that they are watching a moment in time, a mark of an era. You wouldn't have todays films without them existing first and for that reason Burton's Batman will always be a great watch.

Like watching an old Hammer Horror film.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2010 01:31 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

this thread is STILL going on? I love it. laughing you certainly got things stirred up again with the resurrection of this thread spiderman rocks. laughing like i said before,the thread starter of this thread hit the nail right on the head,Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman.Best thread ever made here in the Batman section. Happy Dance rock thumb up thumb up

Last edited by Mr Parker on Nov 13th, 2010 at 06:36 PM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2010 06:34 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The Dark Knight isn't a good adaption either...

It's closer to Batman Beyond and James Bond than it is Batman lore. Morgan Freeman is an aged Bruce Wayne / Q, providing Bale (Terry / Bond) with his arsenal. Nolan's Batman is not a detective. He is not an inventor. He isn't a genius. He is a billionaire who got some ninja training and then acquired (read:stole) military tech from his own company.

And nothing against Ledger's performance, because it was great, but Nolan's Joker was so far off the mark that it was virtually a different character.

Lucius Fox still has the same personality from the comics. He is still the same character. The only difference is that he is a little older and that he supplies Batman with his tech. I'm fine with him doing that because it is an acceptable change for a movie to me. It ties the story and characters together.

My complain with the Burton films is that the character don't have the same personalities as in the comics (not all of them but most of them).

Batman uses some detective work in that last scene of TDK. He uses detective work to analyse the bricks and find the Joker's location. It's not much but it's about as much detective work as Keaton uses. Plus, every other important aspect of Batman's personality was added to the Nolanverse except the detective skills. But that is something that could always be added in the upcoming third movie, The Dark Knight Rises. I trust Nolan will add at least SOME detective work in the third film.

Joker was far off? No, he wasn't. He was the closest Joker to the Modern Age Joker from the comics out of all of the live-action Jokers. If you read The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, and The Dark Knight Returns, you will see that Heath's Joker has a lot of those characteristics that the Joker has in those books. Examples are:
-Simply popping out of nowhere to cause chaos and no origin
-Always remembering his origin in a different way
-Trying to push Batman to the limit to make Batman break his no-killing rule
-Trying to show Batman that they are both equally insane
-Trying to spread chaos everywhere
-Trying to prove that everyone could easily become as insane as he is after having 1 bad day
-Telling Batman that the two of them are "destined to do this forever"
-Expressing his sense of humour through dark comedy
-Leaving a Joker card at the crime scene and living his victims with a ďsmileĒ

I could go on and on. Heath's Joker has the exact same mentality and mind set as the Modern Age Joker from the comics. He also borrows some elements from the psychopath serial killer version of the Joker that existed in the Golden Age.

There are only 3 changes done to the Joker in The Dark Knight:
1)Lack of gadgets used for gags - It's true that the Joker didn't have any gadgets that he uses in the comics for gags (such as the acid flower, laughing gas, etc.). However, I wouldnít say the Joker is out of character because he doesnít have those gags. The Joker is funny, evil, menacing, and has zero empathy. He doesnít need acid flowers and laughing gas to be this. Acid flowers and apple pies in the face are always fun to watch. But itís character that matters the most. And Heath nailed it. Plus, the Joker still has other funny gags throughout the movie such as the pencil trick, dressing up as a nurse, the fire truck being on fire, etc. There is more to the Jokerís gags than just acid flowers and laughing gas.

2)Face paint and Scars Ė They altered his look. The scars are not a major change. In fact, they look kinda cool IMO. As for the face paint, Iíll admit that it is a pretty big change to the look. But it doesnít ruin the character at all. People always assume that the Jokerís origin is the one where he falls into a vat of chemicals. Thatís not true. In the comics, the Joker never had an origin. He says in The Killing Joke ďSometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. If Iím going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choiceĒ. Remember how he told multiple stories of how he got his scars? That aspect of the Joker was taken from The Killing Joke. He never had an official origin in the comics. No one knows how he was created. He just pops out of nowhere and starts causing chaos. So even if the Joker had bleached skin in TDK, he would have still popped out of nowhere and he would have still have had no origin. So the face paint didnít change anything about the character besides the physical look.

And the face paint is an homage to the Golden Age Joker. In the Jokerís first appearance, he wore face paint and he once removed it to disguise as a police officer. Remember when he did that in TDK? That scene was an homage to the Golden Age comics Joker.

3)Cutting peoplesí faces Ė In the comics, the Joker uses laughing gas to leave his dead victims with a smile. In TDK, he leaves a smile on their face using a knife and then paints them. So he still leaves his victims with a smile. He just has a different way of doing it. Iím fine with this too because both ways of leaving victims with a smile is creepy.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2010 03:22 AM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mr Parker
this thread is STILL going on? I love it. laughing you certainly got things stirred up again with the resurrection of this thread spiderman rocks. laughing like i said before,the thread starter of this thread hit the nail right on the head,Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman.Best thread ever made here in the Batman section. Happy Dance rock thumb up thumb up

I'm not the one who resurrected this thread. It was someone else.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2010 03:25 AM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote