KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...
Started by: Harvey Dent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Did you see The Penguin in that animated series?? wink

(please log in to view the image)

Tell me DeVito's Penguin did not inspire that.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 03:35 AM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

The animated series we got in the 90's was thanks to Burton and his Batman.
Looking back, it seems we were so glad his Batman was dark and not campy, that it was just good enough, we liked it too much. Looking at Burton's role in the failed Superman 5, I'm shocked at his lack of respect for comics; did he just do Batman because he loves German expressionism-style movies? The use of arms by Batman was different but not out of place; originally, the character was ruthless about fighting crime, and if he inadvertantly killed a hoodlum, oh well. Michael Keaton wasn't the best physical choice, but actualty convinced me. But its all water under the bridge now, because we have a great work in Batman Begins, which feels like the Batman I've truly waited for. Thanks to Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer and Christian Bale.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 06:03 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

His cape sucks. It somehow 'magically' allows him to glide.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 06:55 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bushwacker

I don't understand the argument here. ALL of the Batman movies suck for one reason or another. The real problem is that Hollywood can't make a movie based on comic books without changing the character and/or their history. Name any movie based on a comic book that this hasn't been the case. At least give Burton credit for taking what was at the time a risk and making a movie about a character who everybody remembered from a corny television show.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 02:35 PM
Bushwacker is currently offline Click here to Send Bushwacker a Private Message Find more posts by Bushwacker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bushwacker
I don't understand the argument here. ALL of the Batman movies suck for one reason or another.

Just out of curiosity,why do you think Batman Begins sucks???

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 05:25 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

yeah have you even seen Batman Begins? when you say ALL the batman movies suck,you must mean the Burton/Schuamcher Batman movies right? Because you would be correct on that point.Begins is the ONLY one that wasnt crap though.Hollwood finally redeemed themselves with the nightmare burton/schumacher batman franchise with Begins.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2005 07:49 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tron
Shinigami Rep.

Originally posted by Darth Zannah
His cape sucks. It somehow 'magically' allows him to glide.

The way his cape worked was explained the second time he went to see Lucious Fox. Just about everything in that movie had some kind of explaination in one form or another.

I don't understand the argument here. ALL of the Batman movies suck for one reason or another. The real problem is that Hollywood can't make a movie based on comic books without changing the character and/or their history. Name any movie based on a comic book that this hasn't been the case. At least give Burton credit for taking what was at the time a risk and making a movie about a character who everybody remembered from a corny television show.

Sin City's the only one so far, but I think it might've been easier to do the way the stories were originally done.

Visit my city, or die at the hands of my ninjas

Old Post Dec 17th, 2005 02:44 AM
Tron is currently offline Click here to Send Tron a Private Message Find more posts by Tron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

I hated Burtons Batman, nothing matches the Schwartz/ Austin Batman of the seventies. The reprints are in black and white, simply stated they are awesome.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Dec 17th, 2005 01:17 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Originally posted by WindDancer
And you fail to give credit where is due. Burton may have committed some errors in the film. However, give credit to the man for transforming and re-introducing The Caped Crusader as a dark and terrifying heroic character that Bob Kane had originally intended. Watch the documentaries of the DVD. Batman had many changes over the course of many decades. Burton's illustration of Batman did justice for the character.

Remenber! prior to the release of the 1989 film. Many people regarded Batman as the colorful and corny hero of the 1960's TV series. Thanks to Burton the franchise was re-born only to be flatten out by Joel in the 1997 film. And Thank the heavens Nolan for rescuing the franchise from falling into oblivion.

Wrong. Frank Miller did more for Batman's "dark" image than the overrated "I don't read Batman comics" Burton.

And did you really find the Burton Batman so dark ? confused

Old Post Dec 17th, 2005 04:42 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bushwacker

Originally posted by Doc Ock
Just out of curiosity,why do you think Batman Begins sucks???

One of the reasons why I like Batman is that he was a self-motivated guy who dedicated himself to be the best crime-fighter he could be. From an early age he pushed himself physically and intellectually until he developed himself into an Olympic class athlete and the world's greatest detective.

In the movie, Bruce Wayne is basically just a moody street thug until Ras al Ghul takes him from the prison and trains him to be a ninja assassin. At no time in the movie do I get the impression that Bruce is smarter than the average guy. This isn't a guy who can take on the level of criminals we see in the comics. To me the guy in the movie is more like Marvel's Nomad than he is Batman. That ruined it for me.

A couple of minor issues I had were his being trained by Ras al Ghul, the whole Katie Holmes thing when they should have had Harvey Dent, and the ending with the teaser about the Joker. One of the reasons why the Joker is one of Batman's main adversaries is because Batman is responsible for Joker looking the way he does.

As I said in another thread I don't expect the movies to follow plotlines word for word, but at least have a script writer who has some respect for the character's background. Hollywood always changes something whenever they adapt something to a movie. This is just MY opinion.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2005 05:52 PM
Bushwacker is currently offline Click here to Send Bushwacker a Private Message Find more posts by Bushwacker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

One of the reasons why I like Batman is that he was a self-motivated guy who dedicated himself to be the best crime-fighter he could be. From an early age he pushed himself physically and intellectually until he developed himself into an Olympic class athlete and the world's greatest detective.

In the movie, Bruce Wayne is basically just a moody street thug until Ras al Ghul takes him from the prison and trains him to be a ninja assassin. At no time in the movie do I get the impression that Bruce is smarter than the average guy. This isn't a guy who can take on the level of criminals we see in the comics. To me the guy in the movie is more like Marvel's Nomad than he is Batman. That ruined it for me.

A couple of minor issues I had were his being trained by Ras al Ghul, the whole Katie Holmes thing when they should have had Harvey Dent, and the ending with the teaser about the Joker. One of the reasons why the Joker is one of Batman's main adversaries is because Batman is responsible for Joker looking the way he does.

As I said in another thread I don't expect the movies to follow plotlines word for word, but at least have a script writer who has some respect for the character's background. Hollywood always changes something whenever they adapt something to a movie. This is just MY opinion.

Those are excellent points.

I agree on all.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2005 06:04 PM
Tron
Shinigami Rep.

Originally posted by who?-kid
Wrong. Frank Miller did more for Batman's "dark" image than the overrated "I don't read Batman comics" Burton.

And did you really find the Burton Batman so dark ? confused

You're right, but just how many people in the world are there that read Millar's work (or even know who he is), compared to those who saw the movie? Millar did good for the fans, but Burton did good for the mainstream.

Visit my city, or die at the hands of my ninjas

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:26 AM
Tron is currently offline Click here to Send Tron a Private Message Find more posts by Tron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I like Burton as a director, but as others have said, he didnt make the right choices with Batman, however I'm captivated by the idea of scary clowns running around in the snow, and guys falling through windows into a greenhouse of roses, as pathetic as that may be.

Batman Begins is a great film, the best i have seen yet this year, however I still feel i lacked that little bit extra, im not sure what but it just doesnt seem whole fto me for some reason.

I'm not to keen on the 'league of shadows' origin either, it all seems a bit cliché, but I dont actually no too much about Batman so...meh

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2005 01:59 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Doc Ock
Did you see The Penguin in that animated series?? wink

(please log in to view the image)

Tell me DeVito's Penguin did not inspire that.

They obviously got the idea of the costume and the 3 fingers for the penguin from devitos's penguin.Thank god they didnt make him like like a ghost though and didnt put all the stupid makeup on him that devito had in the movie.This penguin still looks human at least,Burtons Penguin looked like a monster,which was the intention of that idiot burton,to make him into a sewer dwelling monster.I really hope the rumors are true that Penguin is going to be in the next batman begins film,because he will do penguins character justice.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 11:23 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

heh, the Penguin hung out in the sewers with the Joker's old clown buddies and rode around in a rubber ducky boat LOL

Old Post Jan 4th, 2006 10:26 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Since people around here feel the need to resurrect old dead threads around here where the discussion ended ages ago,then I can play that game. big grin at least the last post for this one wasnt over two months aog or even longer like some of them are that have been brought back.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2006 11:11 PM
Cascador

more childish behaviour? lol...so funny actually but also annoying
you can't turn around what Burton did, you didn't like it...GET OVER IT!stick out tongue

"The greatest hero is the one who learns to face his fears and overconquers it!"

Old Post Jan 24th, 2006 11:22 PM
Cascador is currently offline Click here to Send Cascador a Private Message Find more posts by Cascador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

The 1989 Batman movie wasn't that great, and probably should have been called "The Joker" because it's obvious that's who Burton was telling the story about, likewise Batman Returns was a movie led along by villains as well.

Overall the movie sucked, the images and stuff were badass, scenery and all... what it came down to, is that Jack Nicholson is the shiznit.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:30 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I don't know how I missed this one:

Originally posted by Harvey Dent
Um Hello?! have you heard of a man called Frank Miller and a graphic novel called the Dark Knight Returns?! Burton wasn't the first one to do this 'dark and terrifying theme' with the Batman character. I don't care what Burtons intensions were with this character on the DVD, Keaton didn't play Batman as dark as terrifying as you think he did.

Err..HELLO BACK! Have you heard of a man called Bob Kane? He created Batman! He made the original Batman a darker and more intense character. Frank Miller re-invented actually... NO re-introduce the original Batman Costume. Nothing more!

quote:
"Wrong. Frank Miller did more for Batman's "dark" image than the overrated "I don't read Batman comics" Burton.

And did you really find the Burton Batman so dark ?

Look above will ya. In the comic book community Frank Miller gave us a re-introduction of a dark batman. He also gaves us an origin to the Batman. However, Burton made a dark Batman for the General Audience. You know the movie goers. The people that pay a ticket to go see a show. I'm sure you've heard of them. Tim Burton directed a movie NOT a comic book.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 05:09 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

"One of the reasons the Joker is Batman's greatest enemy is that Batman is responsible for the way the Joker looks"
Wrong, Bushwacker, that's 1 possible origin of the Joker, iin his sick mind he probably invents multiple origins. I'm guessing your the kind of guy who reckons another reason they're enemies is that Joker killed batman's parents (well that is sodding Burton only! And he never even read a comic in his life.)

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 05:09 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote