KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Fight Club, Memento, and The Machinist.

Fight Club, Memento, and The Machinist.
Started by: Mando

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bksdrums

For me it would have to go 1. Fight Club
2. Machinist
3. Memento

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 02:42 AM
bksdrums is currently offline Click here to Send bksdrums a Private Message Find more posts by bksdrums Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
On the special edition DVD you can view the film in chronological order and many people find it supperior, and it still has the same message, outcome and tone, in short, it worked just as well.

I know of people who did it like that and still loved it. However, all the people that did that whom I know already loved it from watching it the first time and their opinion was already made up about the movie. Remember, the first time is the most important watching.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 05:57 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

But "Memento" wasn't even reverse chronology. It was present, past, future..then present again, and then "what if". The movie lost itself a couple of times. I think it was too ambitious to begin with, throwing out a guy who had short term memory loss, on top of putting the beginning at the end, then offering the same beginning in the actual end, with a different twist.

It's just a really busy movie overall.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 10:16 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, being a massive Memento fan, I hugely disagree with some of the ideas presented here. The backwards chronology is essential for understanding the main character's reasons and is also essential for the dramatic presentation of the characters within.

Forward, it's just another story. I do actually find it extraordinary that anyone could say it works just as well forwards.

Gimmick it is not.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 4th, 2005 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 10:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I agree. Watching it in chronological order certainly works, but you lose the sense of disorientation which is essential to understanding the character's motivation. It's feels 'busy' and confusing because that's what it feels like for the character.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 10:30 PM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, being a massive Memento fan, I hugely disagree with some of the ideas presented here. The backwards chronology is essential for understanding the main character's reasons and is also essential for the dramatic presentation of the charatcers within.

Forward, it's just another story. I do actually find it extraordinary that anyone could say it works just as well forwards.

Gimmick it is not.

I'd also like to add. That If shown in Chronological order, I would have almost immediately lost interest. Some scenes require reverse order, because the fun of the film is seeing what happens for what reason. For example: When Natalie gets out of the car, and says she was beat, we want to know why. But afterwords, we see that that wasn't true and she didn't give Leonard the chance to write it down. But as far as leanord knows, She did get beat. It shows the resolution and then the problem being fixed because that's all that Leonard's character knows. Christopher Nolan's goal was to see things the way Leonard did, and as far as I can see he succeeded

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 10:38 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Meanwhile, the film is also a mystery as to why he shot his friend at the 'start'- because it very soon becomes apparent that this was probably a mistake. The twist is that it is not a mistake, he did it on purpose; this revelation of course must be at the end of the film.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 4th, 2005 10:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Well, I couldn't judge these films accurately, considering I haven't seen the Machinist. I can say this, however: I saw Memento once and that was enough for me. I didn't enjoy this movie or find it that intriguing, for mostly the reasons Cine mentioned above. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad movie, but I just never understood why everyone liked it so much. I did enjoy Fight Club, however. It's a great movie.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 12:24 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Well, I couldn't judge these films accurately, considering I haven't seen the Machinist. I can say this, however: I saw Memento once and that was enough for me. I didn't enjoy this movie or find it that intriguing, for mostly the reasons Cine mentioned above. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad movie, but I just never understood why everyone liked it so much. I did enjoy Fight Club, however. It's a great movie.

If you liked 'Fight Club' I will have no dobt you'll like 'The Machinist'.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 12:30 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
But "Memento" wasn't even reverse chronology. It was present, past, future..then present again

No, it just started and ended at the same location, not the same time. The beginning was the present where he shot Joe Pantoliano. The ending was the past where he got mad at Joe and made him his new John G.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 08:59 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nay sayer

I was actually unimpressed by the Machinist- of course the end brought it all together but for me, it was just too little too late-I had slightly lost interest somewhere in the middle of the movie

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 06:11 PM
Nay sayer is currently offline Click here to Send Nay sayer a Private Message Find more posts by Nay sayer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Originally posted by Dusty

Well, it's been nearly 2 years and I've finally got around to seeing The Machinist.

Needless to say, I thought it was great. I'm a huge Bale fan, and seeing him lose that much weight for the role was just amazing. That's devotion, right there.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2007 03:52 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Wow this is an old thread. I haven't posted on it yet so here it goes....

1. Fight Club
2. Memento
3. The Machinist

Fight Club and Memento are very close but I think I have to go with Fight Club as the first rank for the fun factor of it.

I've watched the movie in chronological order and didn't find it nearly as effective. It made more sense, but that wasn't the point of the movie. We were supposed to be just as confused as Leonard was. He finds himself sitting on a toilet in a bathroom with a bottle in his hand. The audience, along with Leonard, are wondering why. Then we find out in the next scene.

Also, the twist is at the beginning (Teddy becoming Leonard's next John G.) so the beginning made for a better ending.

Anyway, I liked The Machinist too, but not as much as the above movies.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2007 04:08 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

apparently, when bale had to lose all the weight, he just drank whiskey and smoked cigarettes for like two weeks. no solids. i believe he was hospitalized.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2007 06:41 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I haven't seen the Machinist, but Fight Club and Memento were highly enjoyable

Old Post Jan 29th, 2007 07:29 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i thought fight club was the most accessible of the 3 and as a piece of entertainment it is better...Bale's performance and what he did to achieve his appearance in the machinist is definitely up there with Deniro in raging bull but the film lacked punch although i thought the use of an obvious twist to disguise a less obvious one was well carried out.

memento is something i just have never thought was a great film...i think that both 21 grams and irreversible both worked the changed chronology to a more effective finish

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 29th, 2007 12:30 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

I haven't seen The Machinist yet. Of Memento and Fight Club I'd have to say Fight Club is easily the better experience. Memento was a fun, intelligent movie. Fight Club was a socially and culturally twisted movie that has actually changed the perspectives and lives of lots of people.

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 06:19 PM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eis
androgynous mind

Originally posted by Mando

I disagree. I really enjoyed Fight Club but I couldn't bring myself to finish The Machinist.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2007 12:19 AM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

Haven't seen Machinist.

Fight Club and Memento are very close.. I think Fight Club might just shade it.. but it is very close.. watched Memento today in uni come to mention it..

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 09:43 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

memento is undoubtedly a "better movie" than fight club, regardless of people's preferences. no slight on fight club (as a viewer, i think i prefer it), but memento is practically flawless.

frankly, machinist isn't even in the same league, though it's quite good.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 11:11 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote