KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Harry Potter Fiction » -Bedsheets-

-Bedsheets-
Started by: RaDiOdOrK

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
iluvhp1_7
Fourth Year

luved it <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Can't wait for more!

Take what you can from
your dreams, make them
as real as anything
-Dave Matthews

Old Post Mar 10th, 2006 12:52 AM
iluvhp1_7 is currently offline Click here to Send iluvhp1_7 a Private Message Find more posts by iluvhp1_7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emmy-xo
Emzilbooger

yeah...please write more soon...I can't wait!

Old Post Mar 15th, 2006 08:32 PM
Emmy-xo is currently offline Click here to Send Emmy-xo a Private Message Find more posts by Emmy-xo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaDiOdOrK

Sorry babies. Been sick and university is crazy.

Chapter Twelve- Between the Shattered and Burnt

Having been given no more direction than the slight invite offered the night before, Daniel decided to have Chris drop him at the hospital after filming that day.

Feeling brave, he stopped to say hello to Mindy that afternoon who was standing in her regular spot, the deserted elevator hall. As usual, she offered nothing but a heated glare. He observed her for a moment to see if her expression would dither, even for a moment, but she hardly blinked.

He’d never noticed the thick pressure bandages that swamped her tiny legs and disappeared up under her lengthy hospital gown. He also noticed that unlike the other children, her robe had long sleeves. Another thing he noticed about the other children, was that there weren’t any. In fact he’d never seen another soul with the wispy-haired child apart from Jhokai.

Shrugging it off and deciding there was no point in questioning her any further, he proceeded to the lift.

‘What’s on the menu this evening?’ He smiled warmly at Jhokai as he stepped inside the room. She fiddled almost compulsively with the fabric edges of a wicker picnic basket before answering him.

‘The hospital never ceases to surprise me, so I thought I’d do the same.’

‘Was I supposed to bring something?’ He asked, confused.

She picked up the basket, flattened the front of her skirt which appeared to be covered in an array of buttons, and offered her arm. ‘You came. I suppose that’s enough.’

He took her arm, and shuddered a little at her cold skin and wet sleeves.

‘Why are you wet?’

‘I went for a walk in the rain.’

‘But it’s sunny outside.. It has been for over a week.’

‘You ask too many questions.’

Daniel smiled as she practically dragged him outside to the waiting car.

Jhokai was unusually quiet on the way, much to Daniel’s confusion. She only spoke to give directions and gave no clue as to where exactly they were headed.
The basket lay beside her and her fingers gripped the seat behind Chris as she eagerly set her eyes out the front window.
‘Stop!’

Alarmed, Chris slammed on the breaks and they all jolted forward a little. Jhokai gave a tiny smile, picked up her things and opened the door.

‘Here will do thankyou Chris.’

Daniel followed her out of the car bewildered, and looked around at the colourless neighbourhood.

They had been walking, aimlessly is seemed for a few minutes before she spoke.

‘Any guesses?’

Daniel let his eyes wander across the passing houses, peeling, panelled walls, overcrowded clotheslines draped with colourful materials, the odd child stopping to observe.

‘No clue.’

She looked at him for what seemed the first time that day, and he saw fear in her eyes.

‘I haven’t seen it either. I’m not sure what to tell you.’

He slowed to an almost standstill. ‘You expect your house to still be there?’

She nodded, stepping briskly ahead of him. ‘I’m certain. Look around you. The government wouldn’t touch the area.’ She sounded almost bitter.

‘Out of ignorance, and nothing more. They think this is some sort of shanty town run by witches.’ Her statement brought a smile to her lips. ‘I believe it started with the accident in my family. Death scares people.’

She slowed her pace, beginning to take note of letter box numbers, but soon realised there was no need.

They stopped in front of a slightly larger block of land. A charred, high-set house stood before them, the front stairs lay blackened and splintering on its side, leaving a door-way set eerily in mid-air. A large shed was out the back, almost untouched by the fire; the childish paintings having left vibrant stains across its tin surface. An entire side wall laid spread across the lawn, leaving a clear view inside the house, and what remained of its possessions.

The entire silhouette was charmingly lit up by the dusk that had settled in behind it.

Jhokai stepped into the overgrown grass tentatively, walking around to the side to where the shed-like structure stood. She smiled back at Daniel, giddy. ‘You coming?’

He followed her, tripping a little on the high grass as he fixated his gaze on the house, instead of his footing. Underneath the structure, whether they had fallen through the floor or had always been there, lay several rusted wrought-iron candle holders, and blackened, but still impressive looking, intricately-crafted, heavy wooden chairs.

He looked up to the shed they approached. He could see now that the paintings were not mindless, childish artwork, but more mature, flowing pieces that seemed to represent memories and family.

Justice Hearts Of Karma And Innocence was written neatly through the centre of the wall surrounded by pictures of faces that were not recognisable, being slightly old and weather beaten.

His breath stopped short when they stepped inside the small room. Jhokai cheerfully set down the basket on an under-sized wooden table and grinned at Daniel once more.

Everything in front of him, apart from being dirty with age, lay completely intact. A bookshelf stood against one wall, an array of instruments: tambourines, plastic and colourful wind pieces made for children and other percussion implements, covering each shelf. A once-colourful rug lay on the floor, a tiny pair of worn out leather sandals left carelessly on it, and of course, a number of intricate pieces of jewellery strewn across the floor; threadbare cotton and scattered, painted wooden beads.

Every memory in the play room reflected what was once a well loved child, yet he couldn’t imagine Jhokai ever playing in here. It seemed too long ago.

He looked up to see her gently pushing the table closer to the worn sofa that sat against the opposite wall. Even though a light darkness had settled in, he could see a happy flush in her cheeks, and he smiled in return, glad he was sharing the memory with her.

She patted the cushion beside her and turned to what she’d brought with her. He held back a smirk as she set down cake, carrot sticks, juice boxes and sandwiches cut into triangles.

He smiled, reaching for some cake. ‘Is this birthday cake?’

She nodded, smiling. ‘The hospital always makes me one. I thought I’d share it this year.’

Beginning to feel sick, having not eaten since breakfast on set that morning, Daniel set down the cake, brushing the crumbs from his lap and watching her intently. He found it intriguing how she sat there, appearing as if she shared the company of only herself. She never seemed to feel the need to say anything, which suited him fine, at the end of a day.

Her hand swept along the arm of the lounge, picking up a small bracelet of different decorations.

‘Echo made me this.’ She said, in an almost whimper. ‘When I was born. I thought it’d been eaten by the fire.’

Daniel heard a slight sniffle and saw a watery glaze pass over her eyes. Instinctively, he brought a soothing hand to her shoulder, and leaned in. ‘Are you glad you came?’

She smiled at him through her tears. ‘I’m glad you came. I was too scared to come on my own.’

He thoughtlessly wiped a tear from her cheek and she flashed a look of gratitude. Just as she could make your eyes light up with a single statement or gesture, Daniel found Jhokai could just as easily tear down your happiness with a simple downward glance.

He scooped her hair back from the wet cheeks they clung to and let the mass fall loose behind her, leaning in closer and bringing an arm around her. Much to his relief, she let her weight fall into him, still clutching her bracelet.

Daniel felt his nerves take over, swearing that she could hear his heartbeat quicken in his chest, and taking deep breaths to try to slow the pace. He found the same thing happening as back in the studio, all reasonable thought left his mind.

‘Jhokai..’ He paused for breath, and she lifted her head to look at him questioningly.

He stared at her a moment, fearful, wondering if he sound ask. But the words came out before he got a chance to mull over them.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2006 09:12 AM
RaDiOdOrK is currently offline Click here to Send RaDiOdOrK a Private Message Find more posts by RaDiOdOrK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaDiOdOrK

‘Can I kiss you?’

She didn’t smile, or look away. Instead he saw a light panic pass through her eyes as she nodded, ever so slightly and closed her eyes.

Daniel could barely recall the next few seconds. Heat shrouded his body as he gently closed his lips over hers, carefully intertwining their fingers as not to startle her. She relaxed into him, slipping her hand out of his to cup one of his now flushed cheeks and concentrating on the warmth of his motions.

She gently eased her mouth away, much too soon, and continued gazing blankly at him, leaving Daniel wondering what it was she was thinking, which wasn’t unusual, and feeling his pulse rise at the closeness of their bodies.

The beam returned to her face after a short moment, despite her drying tears, and she picked up one of his hands. ‘Want me to show you around?’

He couldn’t help it, he laughed. He felt like a child after a very first kiss.

He was lightly dragged outside, pleased to find her street was lined with lamps, and they were shining a fair amount of glow onto the house.

Jhokai had stopped short and was staring up into one of the rooms made visible by the fallen wall. The skeleton of a child’s bed stood in the centre, with unrecognisable forms around it. The door was, of course, missing, probably dragged out and left elsewhere by emergency when Jhokai’s body was pulled out.

‘I don’t think I want to stay any longer.’ She stated simply, her shoes crunching through a stained-glass window as she returned to get her basket.

Daniel turned to follow, and stopped short, his eyes catching a glimpse of something else in her room.

He strained his eyes through the falling blackness, and stepped closer to the crumbling house. Behind the bed was another piece of furniture, another reason to ask questions, and another reason that kept Jhokai from almost never coming back.

A baby’s crib.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2006 09:13 AM
RaDiOdOrK is currently offline Click here to Send RaDiOdOrK a Private Message Find more posts by RaDiOdOrK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emmy-xo
Emzilbooger

omg that is so good! please keep posting! smile

Old Post Mar 16th, 2006 01:26 PM
Emmy-xo is currently offline Click here to Send Emmy-xo a Private Message Find more posts by Emmy-xo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iluvhp1_7
Fourth Year

aw young love. luved it cant wait for im gald you posted cuz i was like come on come on come on post already lol.

Take what you can from
your dreams, make them
as real as anything
-Dave Matthews

Old Post Mar 16th, 2006 09:42 PM
iluvhp1_7 is currently offline Click here to Send iluvhp1_7 a Private Message Find more posts by iluvhp1_7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emmy-xo
Emzilbooger

when are you gonna post more? i can't wait!

Old Post Mar 24th, 2006 03:55 AM
RaDiOdOrK

Alright alright. smile

Chapter Thirteen- Shadowed

It seemed that as soon as Daniel had left the thought of the burning crib out of his mind and finally fallen asleep, that Marcia was banging on his door, telling him to get ready for filming that morning.

Tumbling out of bed, he stepped out into the hallway and squinted at her as she wheeled back into her bedroom. Surely she wasn’t coming with him today.

‘Quickly Daniel. We’re leaving early this morning.’

He brought his hands groggily to his face as he stumbled under the hot shower, wondering how his independence had left him, along with his mother’s ability to walk.

She rapped on the door a mere two minutes later and Daniel wiped the shampoo suds from his eyes furiously when he heard the door creak open and his mother’s voice bark ‘quickly’ at him before it was pulled shut again.

Shaking his head in disbelief he whipped a towel around him and stormed back into his room to dress.

He almost tripped over Marcia as he opened his door, swinging his bag over his back. She eyed him fiercely for a moment, a look of impatience flickering over her face.

She angled her chair so the handles were facing him, and her over-shoulder expression softened. ‘If you wouldn’t mind..’

Daniel struggled to ease the wheelchair down each step, his arms shaking as he attempted a smooth descent.

Chris grinned at Dan from the entryway; kissing Marcia lightly on the cheek and pushing her out to the car with relative ease, Daniel noticed.

Mouthing a out in a sec to a tired looking driver, Daniel rushed into the lounge room to find yesterday’s script. He knew he wouldn’t need it, but he wanted to take all precautions when he knew his mother’s eyes wouldn’t leave his back all day on set.

He was startled by Alan’s sleeping form, slumped in an armchair. The liquor cabinet was unlocked, and the keys, as well as an empty bottle of whiskey and the mess that comes with it sat on the usually immaculate sofa table beside him.

Swallowing hard, Daniel leaned out to shake his father awake, but quickly retreated as the car horn sounded. Having only time to grab a pair of shoes, he forgot his script and paced furiously out to the car. Chris shot an apologetic look and glanced back to Marcia who would have been tapping her foot impatiently if she could.

The moment they stepped into Leavesden Marcia began bustling Daniel over towards the make-up room, despite his protests.

‘Look, mum, the schedule has changed since last time! I need to be in the conference room discussing today’s script changes or I’ll be completely lost.’

Marcia scoffed. ‘It shouldn’t matter one way or the other. If you know what you’re doing then scripting will only take a moment.’

‘Of-of course I know what I’m doing,’ he stuttered, attempting to protest again but she silenced him.

‘Morning Sarah’ she smiled pleasantly despite the surprised look the make-up artist gave in the direction of Marcia’s chair, but was quickly waved off. ‘It’s just temporary dear. I’ll be chatting with Mike for when you need me Daniel.’

‘I won’t need you.’ Daniel muttered, slumping in the chair and shutting his eyes.

Mike Newell entered the set looking a little groggy, a little irritated, with Marcia not far behind.

A violent hush spread over the room as he set a mug down nearby and brought his hand to a weary, lined brow, removed his thick-framed glasses and with his eyes closed, gestured to get into place for a run through.

They followed his silent direction as quickly as their respect allowed and a flush spread over Daniel’s face as he fought to remember the direction and glanced up to meet his mother’s piercing eyes.

He knew she’d struggled to convince Mike that Daniel was ready to begin filming again, as easy as she’d made it sound, and he wanted to maintain his perfect progress, more for his own self-satisfaction then to reassure Marcia.

Hermione entered the carriage looking a little disgruntled and squeezed awkwardly in next to Harry.

‘Well there are two fifth-year prefects from each house. A boy and a girl.’

Daniel sat as naturally as possible as the exchange between Rupert and Emma took place, lines whirring through his head.

’How Pansy Parkinson got to be a prefect when she’s thicker than a concussed troll..’

Emma spat out the words viciously, glancing at Daniel towards the end, after a considerable silence took place.

’Who are Hufflepuff’s?’ Harry questioned lazily.

Ron swallowed his chocolate frog and opened his mouth to speak. ‘Ernie Mac-‘

‘No!’ Marcia eased herself forward a little.

Daniel’s head shot forward to look at her. ‘I beg your pardon?’ He began to blush, despite his anger, as the cameraman looked over at Mike in utter confusion and the rest of the eyes came to rest on Daniel.

‘Well that wasn’t very clear now was it Daniel?’

Daniel heard the weary director’s gentle sigh from across the room, the silence overwhelming him. No one ever interrupted filming. But no one ever told Marcia off either, especially a paraplegic Marcia.

‘From the top.’

Mike didn’t even glance sideways at Daniel’s mother and it was all Dan could do not to wince after each line left his lips. He silently thanked Mike for skipping a few high-emotion scenes that were scheduled for the afternoon, and sent them all home early.

The ride home was silent and angry. ‘You know what I think Daniel?’

Daniel temper poured from his throat. ‘Yes I am well aware mother. And thank-you for making it painfully clear in front of the entire cast.’

He turned bitterly towards the window, his back to her and his mouth clenching with the words he had to hold back.

‘Chris would you mind taking me for a drive after we’ve dropped her back home.’

Marcia leaned forward, gripping her seatbelt. ‘Chris you are not taking him anywhere. He’s using his afternoon off to rehearse with me.’

‘Fine. I will get a cab.’

Marcia shot him a scolding glare but remained silent. When they got to the house she did not argue, but willingly let Chris help her inside while Daniel sat in the back seat, eyes forward, soaking in self-satisfaction. His temper rarely rose against his mother, but he was pleased at the outcome.

His phone sounded from his duffel. It was Jhokai.

Her voice seemed calm but her breathing was rapid. ‘Daniel.. Could you come to the hospital? The nurses will tell you where I am.’

‘Sure-’ His only word of reply was cut off as she hung up. His anger was overtaken by a swelling fondness and a bout of panic as Chris shut the door and drove a little too slowly down the driveway.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2006 09:26 AM
iluvhp1_7
Fourth Year

woah

Take what you can from
your dreams, make them
as real as anything
-Dave Matthews

Old Post Mar 24th, 2006 09:17 PM
Emmy-xo
Emzilbooger

that's really good!

Old Post Mar 24th, 2006 10:00 PM
~Dark_Dan_Fan~
Slytherin_Gryffindor

VERY GOOD!!!! wink

Old Post Mar 25th, 2006 02:33 AM
~Dark_Dan_Fan~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Dark_Dan_Fan~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Dark_Dan_Fan~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaDiOdOrK

*beams*

More later. I haven't been writing much lately since I work about 30 hours a week and am a full-time writing student at university.. But I still have a few chaps stored before I hit a dead-end.

*dies*

xx

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 07:36 AM
~Dark_Dan_Fan~
Slytherin_Gryffindor

Thats ok take ur time we can wait its awesome!!! wink

Old Post Mar 26th, 2006 03:45 PM
~Dark_Dan_Fan~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Dark_Dan_Fan~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Dark_Dan_Fan~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaDiOdOrK

Chapter Fourteen- Too Deep

The weary nurse glanced up to Daniel’s apprehensive face with a mere blink.

‘She’s in the coffee shop.’

Daniel flinched. ‘What?’

The nurse sighed and turned away, walking off quickly, obviously sharing Daniel’s thoughts- that he should have figured Jhokai out by now. That she would never call or ever let on that anything was wrong, and if she ever contacted him it was for an entirely pointless reason.

He hoped.

He was amused, but not surprised to find her in the most secluded booth wearing a vague expression and one of his t-shirts dressed up with a bright singlet over the top and a confusing amount of macaroni strings.

‘I stole it.’ She smiled, pushing a steaming cup over to his side of the table, signalling that he had to sit across from her.

‘And I admire you for it.’ He retorted, picking up the hot mug and sliding in next to her, daring to peck her lightly on the cheek.

She smiled.

‘Why the emergency?’ He felt his mood lift just being there next to her.

‘Thought you’d like your coffee hot.’

He threw back his head and downed a large amount of the smooth liquid, and instantly cheered, turned his head to face her.

‘Well thankyou. I think about you all the time as well’ he announced lightly. Jhokai grinned down at the table, fiddling with an empty sugar packet.

‘You do? I like that’ She whispered.

But Daniel didn’t hear her. He couldn’t hear a word over the image of a baby sleeping peacefully, lulled into unconsciousness as the sound of an infants’ trinket played a robotic, familiar tune in the background, and flames ate away at the side of the crib.

Daniel shivered and Jhokai glanced at him oddly with her playful eyes. ‘You cold? Want your shirt back?’

He smiled despite himself. ‘You keep it. Let’s walk.’

She didn’t get a second to argue as his hand found hers and lifted her gracefully from her seat.

Daniel liked to think he wanted to know about the crib for her sake, so he could help her heal, but he knew his real reason was driven by a yearning to know her better, be closer to her, and to put his curiosity to death. Finally.

Not accustomed to walking anywhere but the hospital hallways, they found themselves back in Jhokai’s room. Her new space hadn’t taken on the joyful childlike feeling that the old ward had, which is why Daniel had hardly spent time in there with her, he supposed.

She fell back on the bed and immediately reached for the folder that rested next to her and picked up a pencil. When he tried to look at what she drew, Jhokai squirmed away. ‘Sit there’, she ordered, pointing to the end of the mattress. He was quiet for a moment, bitter thoughts and endless questions raging through him.

‘Jhocky’ He started coolly, ‘You said you were an only child, right?’

Her head snapped up from her work. ‘I never said that.’

He nodded, waiting for her to put her head back down and stop shooting him suspicious glances. ‘So you have a sibling then? One you didn’t mention?’

She looked up to him again with fiery eyes. ‘That’s beyond your business Daniel.’

He scoffed. ‘Hardly.’ Daniel regretted this immediately as two steely pupils continued defending her mood.

He tried a softer approach. ‘You’ve shared so much with me, why not this?’

His soothing tone only made her more aggravated as she put down her work, eyes staring through him. ‘Don’t you think I would’ve brought it up if I thought it mattered?’

Daniel shook his head. ‘You can’t even say what’s on your mind, Jhokai. Let alone what’s happening in your life.’

She looked around her bare hospital room incredulously and then let her gaze, still steaming, fall on Daniel. ‘You are the only thing happening in my life Daniel. And right now, I don’t want to talk about that.’

He breathed in heavily, examining her. ‘Why?’

‘I think I’ve told you enough. You knew I was complicated, you know I’m going to be difficult so just. Don’t. Ask.’ Her teeth became more tightly gritted with each word.

Seeing Jhokai become more defensive and angered by the moment, Daniel’s curiosity was aroused, along with a lethal mix of temper rising in his chest.

‘You can stop hiding Jhokai! It’s pathetic! You know I care about you and would never use anything you say to hurt you!’ He thought that somehow his reassuring words were going on deaf ears as long as he was yelling them. Still furious, he dropped his tone to a harsh whisper.

‘For God’s sake.. I would die to protect you..’

He caught his breath for a moment, unsure of what he had just said. He could hear the brisk clack of a nurse’s heels as she came to see what the disturbance was.

‘Is there a problem Jhokai, honey?’

Still flushed, Jhokai diverted her eyes between the awaiting nurse and Daniel’s anticipating face. She leaned in closer, imitating his whisper. ‘I’ve watched my mother and some of my best friends lose their lives while sitting at their bedside. What makes you think I care about yours?’

She let it sink in a moment, before looking back at the nurse.

‘He can leave.’

Bewildered, Daniel stepped down off the bed and let himself be escorted out. He turned back to look at her but she’d returned to her artwork, and refused to look up. The only thing he could hear himself thinking between whirring, angry thoughts was, ’she didn’t mean it.’

Old Post Mar 30th, 2006 11:56 AM
iluvhp1_7
Fourth Year

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Take what you can from
your dreams, make them
as real as anything
-Dave Matthews

Old Post Mar 31st, 2006 12:28 AM
~Dark_Dan_Fan~
Slytherin_Gryffindor

GREAT!!!!!!!and sad...

Old Post Mar 31st, 2006 10:38 PM
Emmy-xo
Emzilbooger

amazing. i love it. keep posting please!

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2006 11:43 PM
RaDiOdOrK

Chapter Fifteen- Goes So Slowly Now

Jhokai continued on her sketch for a good hour before she even lifted her head. She inhaled deeply as she looked up, half expecting Daniel to still be standing there.

He wasn’t, of course.

Noting the time, she stepped down onto the freezing tiled floor and whipped the thick white duvet off her bed, fastening it around her shoulders with her tiny fist.

She nodded to the nurses in the Burns Unit, one with pursed lips at the sight of her bed clothes scraping along the floor, and continued down the silent hall.

There were few long term patients. Most were treated and then released, only to return regularly to work on the scarring, but Jhokai discovered, living in the children’s ward that many of those with severe injuries simply passed away; their tiny, deformed and confused bodies giving in to the grip of heat that tightened their skin.

But there were some who fought. And Jhokai had befriended them in the hopes that their struggle was made a little easier if she could make them smile.

She pressed her face against the first window, the child barely recognisable. The tiny boy had been submitted months ago and she was yet to see him move his limbs on his own accord. He was the victim of suspected child abuse and Jhokai had sometimes stood there, willing him to let go, because his life had already been destroyed, and more damage lay ahead if he was ever lucky enough to be released.

Shuffling down to the end of the hall, Jhokai slumped into the end doorway and peered in with a small grin. Mindy’s almost lifeless hand fell off the side of the bed, her fingers outstretched for comfort. Her eyes still closed, her lips moved upwards into a smile as Jhokai’s hand closed over hers.

Doctor Ryan looked up to Jhokai as he adjusted the frail girl’s pressure bandages and gave a warm nod.

‘What’s the news?’

The doctor looked up to her, wary. ‘Good or bad?’

Jhokai lifted an eyebrow from beneath her mess of locks. ‘I know the good news. She’s still breathing. What else you got?’

A thick cough erupted from Mindy before he was able to answer.

‘Her lungs aren’t getting any better, that’s the main reason I’ve ordered this much bed rest.’ He looked down to his clipboard almost as an excuse, it seemed, to not reveal any more information.

Jhokai stared.

‘Well. To be honest, her kidneys aren’t holding out very well at all and we’ve had to change her diet.’ He sighed, almost turning to leave before he was interrupted.

‘I have a spare kidney.’ The doctor smiled. ‘Yours, I think are in no better condition Jhokai. Not to mention the wrong blood type.’ He chuckled at her generosity.

The older girl sighed, her fingers leaving the loose clasp of the bed-ridden child.

‘But she’ll be fine in a few days, yes? I have plans for her.’

Doctor Ryan hesitated, letting a sigh leave his chest as he bent down and placed a hand on Jhokai’s shoulder. ‘You can’t tell me you haven’t noticed her lack of growth either.’ Jhokai bit her lip, hoping that no answer was the best one.

‘A child her age, well, she should be a lot bigger. She has barely grown in the past few years. We can’t begin skin grafts until she has grown somewhat. It’d be a waste. I’m sorry.’

After he had left Jhokai slipped a small packet of stickers from her robe pocket and began to place them delicately around the sleeping child’s eyes in a mask-form.

She looked down at her fondly and kissed her forehead uncertainly before getting up to leave. ‘Sleep tight, pretty.’

~

Daniel arrived back at the house with much the same feelings about the same people as he had when he left. Scared and angry.

Dinner passed without a sound. Alan didn’t say much lately and no one was in the right state of mind to know what to say to him either. Daniel helped clear the table in bitter-white silence and retreated to his room. His eyes glazed over with anything that was put in front of them, so he gripped his drumsticks tightly and simply lay, staring at the ceiling.

He was going to be eighteen in a week and he didn’t feel the least bit like a man.

He didn’t want his job. He didn’t want to lose the only thing that made him happy. He didn’t want to lose his temper. It was too late to not want what his family had turned into and he didn’t want to be rescued by anyone but himself.

Daniel had the next day off, and returned to the hospital in low hopes that everything was back to normal. Normal, for Jhokai, being a willingness to speak to him, at the very least.

He was there for a good hour. Fifteen minutes of trying to persuade the nurse to let him see her, another ten for making her promise that she’d pass a message along, a half hour of trying to think what to write and the last five minutes spent cursing the prison cell of a hospital as he left.

He had never been allowed to see her the day after a skin graft appointment, but today seemed awfully convenient, for some reason. And he imagined that another night without seeing her, with a question heavy on his mind, was going to go very slowly.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 12:56 AM
~Dark_Dan_Fan~
Slytherin_Gryffindor

Very good I luved it!!!! big grin

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 01:11 AM
Emmy-xo
Emzilbooger

that was really good!

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 01:30 AM