KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » dumbledore

dumbledore
Started by: scurran

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
scurran

Question dumbledore

i know youve head this before but im absolutely sure tha DD has a horcrux, there are little hints that JK gives us:
1. he is very old, he is 150 so he could have one(every one has a past)
2. He opposes them alot, so that could mean he regrets it
3. in the first book he tells prof mc gonagall that he trusts hagrid with his life, could this mean that hagrid has it hidden?
4. fawkes is always there and could be IT!

(just a few thoughts)

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 06:28 PM
scurran is currently offline Click here to Send scurran a Private Message Find more posts by scurran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
undomiel
evenstar

dumbledore would never commit murder.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 08:35 PM
undomiel is currently offline Click here to Send undomiel a Private Message Find more posts by undomiel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by scurran
i know youve head this before but im absolutely sure tha DD has a horcrux, there are little hints that JK gives us:
1. he is very old, he is 150 so he could have one(every one has a past)
2. He opposes them alot, so that could mean he regrets it
3. in the first book he tells prof mc gonagall that he trusts hagrid with his life, could this mean that hagrid has it hidden?
4. fawkes is always there and could be IT!

(just a few thoughts)

1.) Where in the bloody hell did you get that he was 150?
2.) Tom got the idea for them. He didn't want any others to take interest.
3.) He said that because he wants the readers to see the extent of his trust in the half-giant, unwavering.
4.) The essence of Phoenixes never gets destroyed.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 08:38 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I've read that hes 150 numerous times.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 08:40 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Originally posted by exanda kane
I've read that hes 150 numerous times.

From where? Unless it's from J.K. Rowling herself or listed in one of the books, it's pretty much made-up stuff or rumors.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 08:43 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
undomiel
evenstar

JKR said he was about 150 in one of her interviews. cant remember which one.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2005 08:48 PM
undomiel is currently offline Click here to Send undomiel a Private Message Find more posts by undomiel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheSun

Originally posted by DarkC
From where? Unless it's from J.K. Rowling herself or listed in one of the books, it's pretty much made-up stuff or rumors.

He's definitely 150, Mcgonagall is in her 70s, Snape in his 30s.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2005 11:33 AM
TheSun is currently offline Click here to Send TheSun a Private Message Find more posts by TheSun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I'm sure its stated in the books.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Dec 13th, 2005 01:55 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scurran

Originally posted by TheSun
He's definitely 150, Mcgonagall is in her 70s, Snape in his 30s.

thats it!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2005 08:27 PM
scurran is currently offline Click here to Send scurran a Private Message Find more posts by scurran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

He's 150 then, but he's no horcrux. If that were the case, then Voldemort wouldn't have shot killing curses in their duel in the Department of Mysteries.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 12:25 AM
undomiel
evenstar

He's 150 then, but he's no horcrux. If that were the case, then Voldemort wouldn't have shot killing curses in their duel in the Department of Mysteries.

why not?

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 03:36 AM
dagurlhoolived

because once the original person is dead, its much harder to find his horcruxes, not to mention that if dumbledore did have horcruxes though, its not certain that voldy would know and know not to kill dumbledore. dumbledore is-sorry was-sniff-the most powerfull wizard, if anyone could conceal a horcrux, he could!

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 03:49 AM
dagurlhoolived is currently offline Click here to Send dagurlhoolived a Private Message Find more posts by dagurlhoolived Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Originally posted by undomiel
why not?

Because Voldemort would've been in a duel with a portion of his own soul. I hardly think he'd rashly destroy it so readily.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2005 03:36 PM
Council#13
The Omega Male

If Dumbledore had a horcrux, he wouldnt have needed harry to find out what it was from Sludgehorn

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 09:09 AM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
daeri

It's not so weird that Dumbledore is 150 years old, magic people just get much older then normal people...

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 11:25 AM
daeri is currently offline Click here to Send daeri a Private Message Find more posts by daeri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scurran

he did, but fawkes swallowed it

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 12:35 PM
scurran

Originally posted by Council#13
If Dumbledore had a horcrux, he wouldnt have needed harry to find out what it was from Sludgehorn

dumbledore already knew about the hocruxes, beacuse he had the ring and the diary

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 12:36 PM
Emerika

Dumbledore deafeated Grindelwald remember? On the chocolate frog card. So he did murder someone.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:12 PM
Emerika is currently offline Click here to Send Emerika a Private Message Find more posts by Emerika Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Originally posted by scurran
he did, but fawkes swallowed it

My point being, he wouldn't have attempted to kill Dumbledore if Dumbledore was a horcrux.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2005 12:23 AM
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

I think whats being said is not that Dumbledore WAS a horcrux, rather that he has one - so Voldermort could fight him, but if he killed Dumbledore then Dumbledore wouldn't really be dead (rather I guess he would be in the state Voldermort was before his resurrection.) One assumes no one would know this (who would think a great and good wizard would have such a dark secret?)

And Dumbledore does know about them, he just needed Slughorn's memory to confirm his suspicions and reveal Tom Riddle's intentions (the seven horcrux theory.) And he is old, probably battled and killed dark wizards at some point, so I guess there's a chance.

Still, I don't think he would have made one. It doesn't seem like something Dumbledore would do, after all, he has the whole thing about not being scared of death, about there being worse things then death (though that could refer to the horcrux unlife I guess) and it doesn't really fit in narratively, if it turns out Dumbledore is alive thanks to dark and evil magic utilised by people like Voldermort, well it's just not in character. Of course it could be asked why he is so against them if he hasn't one and seen what it's like, well I think if he fought and defeated at least one powerful dark wizard (Grindelwald in 1945) he may have seen them in action, perhaps Grindelwald had a horcrux? Perhaps Gridelwald was a Nazi, though that's beside the point, although it would be nice to think Dumbledore fought against the Nazis. That'll teach 'em.

And beside, doesn't the splitting of the soul have effects on the person, both physical and mental? Granted he wouldn't have done it enough to end up looking like Voldermort, but in terms of personality and physical appearance it just doesn't look likely.

As to Dumbledore's age, I too have heard it put at 150 or more, but then perhaps we can deduce it. We know he was around in 1945, and probably had finished school and was powerful enough to defeat a dark wizard (which warranted being recorded on the frog card, so a powerful dark wizard), I'm thinking at least 19 or 20 years of age, most likely a lot more. Likewise, he worked with Nicolas Flamel, who was 665 thanks to the philosophers stone, how long did he work with Flamel? Probably not for 600 years, but a few, he was called his partner after all, and there are no indications he worked with him while he was headmaster, or maybe even as teacher at Hogwarts, so prior to working there (how long has Dumbledore been at Hogwarts?.)

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Last edited by Imperial_Samura on Dec 22nd, 2005 at 01:12 AM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2005 01:08 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote