KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Animations / CGI » King Kong: Best CGI character ever

King Kong: Best CGI character ever
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spartan005

Am I the only one that thinks Godzilla (1998) looked Amazing?

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 11:04 PM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan
It looked very real. His size didn't vary. You're just trying to nitpick. Not even good nitpicking, either.

His size in comparison to Ann did vary throughout the film. It's all I concentrated on as the film was abysmal. Of course I'm going to nitpick an outlandish claim such as King Kong: Best CGI Character Ever. Golum is far better.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2006 04:24 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Spartan005

Yes.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 16th, 2006 05:02 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

You can do anything to these creatures...it's completely legal!

Old Post Nov 18th, 2006 12:06 AM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal of Krypton
Lois's Lover

Davy Jones, head from POTC 2 was...phenomenal!
Originally posted by Spartan005

I agree w/ ya

Old Post Nov 29th, 2006 01:05 PM
Kal of Krypton is currently offline Click here to Send Kal of Krypton a Private Message Find more posts by Kal of Krypton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

I watched Starship Troopers again last night and i was impressed at how impressive the bugs were in that movie.
Seeing as its nearly ten years old they are outstanding.
I hope they improve the Spidey fx this time round...theres no realism to him when hes doing his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Nov 29th, 2006 01:21 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
office jesus

Re: King Kong: Best CGI character ever

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
King Kong is currently the best CGI character I have ever seen, topping Gollum and Ep. 2-3 Yoda. I've never seen a more convincing piece of CGI ever in my life and it's actually the 1st time I couldn't really tell the difference between it being CGI and looking fake. It felt good. With Yoda and Gollum I found micro flaws but with the CGI Kong I saw none. I was as if he were 100% real down to Gorilla mannerisms, the hair, the skin it's shine, the way he convincingly handled Anne and how she so perfectly moved in sync with his movement. And Kong didn't look like the monster type, he looked like a genuine Gorilla unlike other Kong reflections where they make him look like a monster on 2 legs or the typical "Guy in a Kong suit" look. It's the feeling I've been looking for since Jurrasic Park. Convingcing looking computer graphic imagry. Peter has raised the bar on CGI once more this time flawlessly. At last.

Nope. That doesn't float. Davey Jones in Pirates II gets my vote as the best CG ever.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2006 11:21 AM
office jesus is currently offline Click here to Send office jesus a Private Message Find more posts by office jesus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kayne Archeron

Originally posted by §P0oONY
His size in comparison to Ann did vary throughout the film. It's all I concentrated on as the film was abysmal. Of course I'm going to nitpick an outlandish claim such as King Kong: Best CGI Character Ever. Golum is far better.

i agree about the size comparison. at first i thought it was because of the changing enviroments (jungle to city) but then it did seem like his size was changing alot.

but as for best CG... i'm gonna have to say either Davey Jones or Master Chief in the new Halo 3 commercial

Old Post Dec 8th, 2006 08:53 PM
Kayne Archeron is currently offline Click here to Send Kayne Archeron a Private Message Find more posts by Kayne Archeron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

I'll watch "Pirates 2" sometime today for the 1st time and see what the hoopla is with this "Davey Jones" guy everyone seems to be talking about alot on here.

I'll see how he fares against '05 "Kong"

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 12:14 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AttentionPlease
every1 stay calm

I got a question did that black guy die when he fell to the ground on Kong island??

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 09:36 PM
AttentionPlease is currently offline Click here to Send AttentionPlease a Private Message Find more posts by AttentionPlease Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

yeah hes still there pining for the kid out of Billy Elliot as we speak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 03:10 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kayne Archeron

Originally posted by trademark
I got a question did that black guy die when he fell to the ground on Kong island??

well, if the fall didn't kill him, I'm sure the giant creatures at the bottom did

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 03:26 PM
Kayne Archeron is currently offline Click here to Send Kayne Archeron a Private Message Find more posts by Kayne Archeron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

So i finally saw "PotC II" and i will admit that the movie was good. In fact I liked it alot. I obviously thought it better than pt.1 and I'll definitely see pt. 3 "at worlds end" when it comes out in early 'o7.

The parts i liked alot that had astounding special effects:

-- When Capt. Jack fell off that cliff that he front flipped onto with that fruit-pole on his back. Excellent cgi occurred during that scene. That fall looked as if it was really him. It just about looked to real. Which is how I think CGI should look.

-- The pirate ship that was sucked under water in like 1 second by that Kraven, that looked surreal, once again, very convincing cgi. The splashy water effects after the attack didn't fool me much, though.

-- When that witch lady goes "The hands...........Of Destiny" and lays and spreads out small bones on some large table map then the scene just smoothly morphs right into the ocean with enormously exposed sea rocks, with the scattered bones on the table map precisely matching the huge sea rocks in the rainy scene with the pirate ship in it. The morbid tunes help too.

Now, Davey Jones. I thought his character looked real good. But since I cannot compare it to anything I've seen that looks like Davey Jones, in order to see the realism between the two, real and fake, like I can with King Kong (cgi Gorilla and real Gorilla), then it would be a bit more difficult saying Davy Jones looks real or looks better. He looks better than what. There obviously is no real version of him like there is with many other cgi characters, like King Kong for instance.

So ok, to me his face looked similar to a squid or an octopus/jellyfish hybrid. If the makers of Davey Jones' face were to create an actual squid/jellyfish hybrid using the Davey Jones cgi effects, i wouldn't be convinced that they were sea creatures. Or at least not as convinced as I was with Kong. Where as King Kong was just about real looking as real looking can get. And that's why cgi Kong dominates.

My cgi realism score is:

Davey Jones: 8

King Kong: 10

And to reiterate, King Kong is the best CGI character ever, even still after 1 year. And there's has been a ton of stuff that's come out this year, out of the cgi dept.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 11:20 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vrempire

I think King Kong CGI is very good.
But the dinasour in it still have the CGI feeling and not so real.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2006 03:17 AM
vrempire is currently offline Click here to Send vrempire a Private Message Find more posts by vrempire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

They looked alright but they could've used just a bit more work.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Jan 27th, 2007 11:38 PM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insomniatric
The Spider

Sorry for the resurrecting a dead topic, but I was bored and wanted to talk about something.

I don't think Kong is the best. The T-Rex in Jurassic Park looked absolutely real, it didn't look CG at all. And that movie was made 13 years before King Kong. IMO no movie tops Jurassic Park's CG.

King Kong looked almost real, but there were a couple things about him that looked CG, but nothing looked animated about the Rex in JP.

Sig and Avatar made by Steverules_2 (Thank you!)

Last edited by Insomniatric on Aug 8th, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 11:16 AM
Insomniatric is currently offline Click here to Send Insomniatric a Private Message Find more posts by Insomniatric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Others I think that looked perfectly (or almost...) authentic:

* Ironman
* Optimus Prime (+ Others, the physics was perfect)
* Yoda
* Venom
* Gollum
* Davy Jones
* Nightcrawler

Edit: And yes the T-Rex as stated above.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 11:41 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToyChop

The Balrog from LotR.

Best CGI monster AND coolest giant monster design.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 03:12 PM
ToyChop is currently offline Click here to Send ToyChop a Private Message Find more posts by ToyChop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Originally posted by Placidity
Others I think that looked perfectly (or almost...) authentic:

* Ironman
* Optimus Prime (+ Others, the physics was perfect)
* Yoda
* Venom
* Gollum
* Davy Jones
* Nightcrawler

Edit: And yes the T-Rex as stated above.
...Nightcrawler wasn't CGI.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 06:22 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
...Nightcrawler wasn't CGI.

Most of his opening scene was.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 04:10 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote