KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Character Ownage

Character Ownage
Started by: Null

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5119): « First ... « 3048 3049 [3050] 3051 3052 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
krisblaze

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -K-M-
Tom breevort speaks on the beyonders!

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.co...ders-could-wipe

Breevort's a ****.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 04:38 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

Originally posted by zopzop
ROFLMAO!

Starbrand DIED fighting ONE Beyonder. Thor and Hyperion went down like champs vs HUNDREDS (thousands?) of Beyonders! FAIL. Still think Hickman's SB is beyond herald level Carver? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Starbrand was snuck attacked. Wasn't a head on kill. Starbrand killed the same Beyonder that was toying with Thor and Hyperion. Killed him in a single attack. So yes, he is far above Herald levels.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 04:57 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Starbrand didn't actively kill him you dolt.

All of the energies he had were released.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:06 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by krisblaze
Breevort's a ****.

Such a political answer lol.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:29 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Breevort's a hero for that answer. You do realize that he has an incredibly delicate balance to manage, yeah? He has to defend those he works with, the company he works for, but answer fans in a way that will appease the harsher elements of the fandom. Or rather, the more casual elements of the fandom. Because the fans calling him a **** on internet forums are rarely going to be appeased on anything long-term, and they're the least of his concerns. We're not the demographic. We're the ones who are following this stuff regardless. Breevort's only worried about not f*cking up the answer to create a bigger sh*tstorm, and making sure he's doing nothing to upset the bottom line (money) which, let's be honest, is primarily targeted at the 16-year-old kid who recently watched the Thor films, and just got to see his hero die heroically against legions of abstract beings. F*ck power levels, that kid just went to bed last night dreaming of taking on a thousand Beyonders in glorious battle.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

thumb up

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:38 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by Digi
Breevort's a hero for that answer. You do realize that he has an incredibly delicate balance to manage, yeah? He has to defend those he works with, the company he works for, but answer fans in a way that will appease the harsher elements of the fandom. Or rather, the more casual elements of the fandom. Because the fans calling him a **** on internet forums are rarely going to be appeased on anything long-term, and they're the least of his concerns. We're not the demographic. We're the ones who are following this stuff regardless. Breevort's only worried about not f*cking up the answer to create a bigger sh*tstorm, and making sure he's doing nothing to upset the bottom line (money) which, let's be honest, is primarily targeted at the 16-year-old kid who recently watched the Thor films, and just got to see his hero die heroically against legions of abstract beings. F*ck power levels, that kid just went to bed last night dreaming of taking on a thousand Beyonders in glorious battle.

I'm not following his stuff regardless.

I dropped all my marvel books in protest of their shit-tanic.

This is the dime-a-dozen answer you always drop whenever people pick up on consistency errors.

It's entirely possible to write a good comic and be consistent in power levels. Having no clue when it comes to internal consistency has nothing to do with making sales or whatever. It's bad writing, plain and simple.

P.S. Breevort's a **** because he acts like one.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:43 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'm not following his stuff regardless.

I dropped all my marvel books in protest of their shit-tanic.

This is the dime-a-dozen answer you always drop whenever people pick up on consistency errors.

It's entirely possible to write a good comic and be consistent in power levels. Having no clue when it comes to internal consistency has nothing to do with making sales or whatever. It's bad writing, plain and simple.

P.S. Breevort's a **** because he acts like one.

There are instances where this is true, so I'm not in total disagreement, but many more where the power levels can - and should - serve the narrative, not the other way around. My leniency for such matters is far greater than most others, because I don't invest much into definite power levels for characters. But I don't think it's that they're unaware of internal consistency. It's that I think they don't care...rightly so, in many cases.

Nevermind that we don't actually have an explanation for the feat(s). As others have posited, there are potential explanations that, while they may not please you, at least put the showing in an appropriate context.

Back to Breevort, I won't speak to the entirety of his work. But on this particular answer, I can't imagine an answer from a PR perspective that would do any better.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:47 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

The tantrums spanning the last 6 pages are hilarious.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:51 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

I disagree. There are instances where this is true, so I'm not in total disagreement, but many more where the power levels can - and should - serve the narrative, not the other way around. My leniency for such matters is far greater than most others, because I don't invest much into definite power levels for characters.

Nevermind that we don't actually have an explanation for the feat(s). As others have posited, there are potential explanations that, while they may not please you, at least put the showing in an appropriate context.

Back to Breevort, I won't speak to the entirety of his work. But on this particular answer, I can't imagine an answer from a PR perspective that would do any better.

I was the first one to point out that they looked more like drone-beyonders and not the real deal, that's not the point though.

The point is that you shouldn't just forgive terrible internal consistency "because of the narrative". It eventually kills any sense of suspension and like I said, speaks to poor planning/writing.

Breevort's explanation was not that. His explanation was "weaknesses!", which only applies to the Ex Nihilio/Abyss incident.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:53 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I was the first one to point out that they looked more like drone-beyonders and not the real deal, that's not the point though.

The point is that you shouldn't just forgive terrible internal consistency "because of the narrative". It eventually kills any sense of suspension and like I said, speaks to poor planning/writing.

Breevort's explanation was not that. His explanation was "weaknesses!", which only applies to the Ex Nihilio/Abyss incident.

Fair enough. I don't want to get too deep into this, because I'm not too concerned over it. My only point is that, on the whole, the hardcore elements of the fandom aren't his first concern, and that there are personal and political forces in play that mitigate any response he gives to such questions. Obviously he could have put the feats in more context. But my contention is that there are good reasons for him not to do so, and many of them are likely ones we're not privy to.

Outside a guy like Morrison, who will wax philosophic on his own creations at length, I'm not sure why we expect much out of these writer blurbs anyway.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:57 PM
krisblaze

Fair enough. I don't want to get too deep into this, because I'm not too concerned over it. My only point is that, on the whole, the hardcore elements of the fandom aren't his first concern, and that there are personal and political forces in play that mitigate any response he gives to such questions. Obviously he could have put the feats in more context. But my contention is that there are good reasons for him not to do so, and many of them are likely ones we're not privy to.

I agree.

Outside a guy like Morrison, who will wax philosophic on his own creations at length, I'm not sure why we expect much out of these writer blurbs anyway.

I have no expectations of that fat turd, I just don't think Hickman's terrible writing should be excused with "the narrative!".

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:59 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I also think we're a bit too reactionary. We shouldn't be able to get upset about something until, say, 3 more issues have come out. The number of times characters have been declared abstract/Skyfather/etc. following a feat, only to have context added later that brings it back down, is lulz-worthy. I'm not saying everyone is at fault with doing that, and this may not be one of those times. But still.

There was a Spidey comic years ago (somewhere around Civil War) that had an obvious continuity error where Mary Jane healed from something that should have lasted months, but was gone and forgotten the next issue. So after ridiculous fan backlash, they put a panel in the next comic about how she managed to heal so fast, followed by Pete and Tony staring at the reader with sort of a roll eyes (sarcastic) look. Hilarious stuff.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 06:05 PM
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

As somebody who used to read Tom Brevoort's posts 1-2 years ago, I can safely say he is just a lapdog with no backbone, disguised as a troll.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 06:11 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Ninja law is real

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 06:20 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

His analogy(or w/e you want to call it) makes no f*cking sense.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 07:22 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeusExMachina

quote:
If you throw kryptonite at Superman, he’s going to double over and collapse.

If you throw kryptonite at Batman, he’s going to laugh at you and then beat the hell out of you.

Does this mean that Batman is more powerful than Superman?

We need to stop thinking of these power relationships in such simple linear and black and white terms. if real life worked like that, there’d be no need for sporting events of any kind—you could tell which person or team was going to win without a game, from just looking at the stats.

Is he trying to say Earth based Physiology>>>>>>Cosmics/ abstracts?

Is he high or what?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 08:34 PM
DeusExMachina is currently offline Click here to Send DeusExMachina a Private Message Find more posts by DeusExMachina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Originally posted by Galan007
His analogy(or w/e you want to call it) makes no f*cking sense.

No it makes complete sense. Another example, if I throw logic at you, you will understand as you use logic yourself. If I threw logic say...oh I don't know at...carver? He was curl up in a puddle of his own Urine screaming he's not listening. Makes sense to me

What was my point again? Oh right...carver sucks. Yeah that's what it was

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 08:54 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Existere
The tantrums spanning the last 6 pages are hilarious.

lol thumb up

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 09:08 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Thor abstract+ confirmed

Old Post Mar 27th, 2015 02:40 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote