KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Any other bands like Radiohead?

Any other bands like Radiohead?
Started by: o kiMMii o

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well whether you don't think they should or not, they are. Because they are legendary.

This is the crucial point you are missing.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 08:26 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

quote: (post)
Originally posted by exanda kane
And to be honest AC I don't care what other people think about my opinions, however this is a forum so I can say what i like. I do not think Radiohead should be called legendary, not yet.
If Radiohead were to stop making music right now, and have absolutely no more opportunity for any further progress.. you wouldn't consider them legendary?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 08:42 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Hmm No. I dont think I would. I just dont believe they've made a big enough impact. If there really went somewhere new and people took too it, as if this was even beyond Radiohead terriotory, I would think of them as Legendary.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 10:00 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

What do you mean "If there really went somewhere new"? Radiohead are one of the most innovative bands of all time.

You are clearly just not of the right brainial capacity to understand it.

You can sit there and say they're not legendary, that's fine. They are though, this is fact.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 10:08 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Let's take a second to judge Radiohead on the level that most ''legendary'' bands are appointed on; the ability to create signature songs, i.e. Zeppelin's Immigrant Song, Kasmir etc, Metallica's One, Enter Sandman etc.

- Creep
- Exit Music
- Karma Police
- No Suprises
- High & Dry
- Fake Plastic Trees
- My Iron Lung
- Street Spirit

All of the above are songs/singles that have burned themselves into rock music memory. Play the most boneheaded, crunk-loving, musically illiterate moron you know the chorus from High & Dry, the fade-out from Karma Police, the final verse of Exit Music or the riff from No Suprises or Street Spirit, and I gurantee they will recognise most of them. They probably won't know the band, but the fact that they'll recognise the music anyway is a testament on it's own to their status. Even people who don't know them, know them. If you get my meaning. That's legendary. Come back and post here in 20, 30 years, when radio stations are still playing OK Computer, and say they aren't.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 10:32 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StinkFist462
Your Mom

I just dont believe they've made a big enough impact.

big enough impact on what? mtv?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:13 PM
StinkFist462 is currently offline Click here to Send StinkFist462 a Private Message Find more posts by StinkFist462 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Actually wait a mo while I gloat in the whole irony of AC's last post. *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam*.........................

Well the last time Xfm played Ok Computer was....I can't remember actually. Creep came on yesterday though. I understand what your saying Deathblow, but most of those songs are just played in the indie discos in London, no where else.

The fact that you said yourself that not too many could name that Radiohead that created songs like Karma Police, does partly justify what i have been saying. When people where the opening chords of Whole Lotta Love they instantly join in with the bass, and they could probably put a band to the song. Ok, maybe Radiohead arent on the same plane as Led Zeppelin but you understand my point. (btw I met Robert Plant on Saturday!)

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:18 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StinkFist462
Your Mom

this one guy thought Metallica did Immigrant Song. my friend also thought Stairway to Heaven was Guns and Roses.

so, no. not everyone can spot Led Zeppelin during the opening chords.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:26 PM
StinkFist462 is currently offline Click here to Send StinkFist462 a Private Message Find more posts by StinkFist462 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Oh how strange that you take what I said about one song and apply to another. and it doesnt work

I didn't say the opening chords apply to other Led Zeppelin songs, although many do.

And dont just take Led as the only example, there are many others as you can probably guess.

All in all, I just dont think Radiohead are Legendary and if I'm allowed to say, I dont think they ever will be, maybe to a select group of music lovers, but the same applies to Metallica. And god damn i hate Metallica.

Last edited by exanda kane on Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:14 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 12:10 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, so let me reiterate, because you clearly are the most simple person ever to dwell here.

Radiohead...still with me?....are legendary....whether you like it.....or not. You can not think they are...but they are.

Are we clear on this? This will never be a debate about if they are legendary or not, because they are.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:34 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I think what AC is trying to say, can be expressed in this little forumla I've come up with all by myself:

Radiohead = legendary

Am I correct, AC?

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:41 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

*Examines formula*

I can say this is correct, Krunk'd.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:44 AM
black_rock
she loves a ROCKER boy

SMASHING PUMKINS ALL THE WAY

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:56 AM
black_rock is currently offline Click here to Send black_rock a Private Message Find more posts by black_rock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Sweet! I knew I was on the money that time!

All this Radiohead talk has got me listening to 'Kid A' again...Whata****ingamazingalbum; 'The National Anthem' is incredible!

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:57 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

VVD and I have been cuing that album a lot recently, both separately and in sync. He raised the notion that Everything in Its Right Place probably has the most epic intro.

I'd likely agree with this.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:37 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I also concur. It's amazing that they can make absolute gibberish sound like the words of a god..."bleh, bluh-bleh bleh bluh..." - Yeah, Radiohead! I agree!

How about those magical strings on 'Motion Picture Soundtrack'? It's just an incredible album from start to finito.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:46 AM
exanda kane

Radiohead = Just Short Of Legendary. (aimed at AC, the person most up his own arse here). smile

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 03:26 PM
Df02

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Yes, so let me reiterate, because you clearly are the most simple person ever to dwell here.

Radiohead...still with me?....are legendary....whether you like it.....or not. You can not think they are...but they are.

Are we clear on this? This will never be a debate about if they are legendary or not, because they are.

-AC

as simple as you think that person is, you cannot really confirm Radiohead's legendary status atm... in a few years i garuantee they will be widely accepted as legendary... atm they aren't in the same way as Zepellin or Metallica etc.

they may be to you... but can garuantee they won't be to a huge swathe of other people.

usually you actually produce decent arguments to back yourself up, but on this thread you've just started to sound like a kid with his hands over his ears chanting the same thing again and again.
you saying theyre legendary doesnt make it so, no matter how many times you repeat it

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Last edited by Df02 on Dec 21st, 2005 at 03:49 PM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 03:47 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Radiohead = Just Short Of Legendary. (aimed at AC, the person most up his own arse here). smile

Says who? The guy who claims Fightstar are a good, creative talented band? Same for Lostprophets?

When they have albums that are continually rated as one of the best albums of all time (As Radiohead have) then you can make that claim.

Radiohead's OK Computer is constantly rated as one of, if not THE best rock album of all time and in my opinion it's not even their best. Radiohead, regardless of whether you think they are or not, are legendary. I'm not saying you have to agree, I'm saying that whether you agree or not is irrelevant.

Originally posted by Dfo2
as simple as you think that person is, you cannot really confirm Radiohead's legendary status atm... in a few years i garuantee they will be widely accepted as legendary... atm they aren't in the same way as Zepellin or Metallica etc.

they may be to you... but can garuantee they won't be to a huge swathe of other people.

usually you actually produce decent arguments to back yourself up, but on this thread you've just started to sound like a kid with his hands over his ears chanting the same thing again and again.
you saying theyre legendary doesnt make it so, no matter how many times you repeat it

The reason I'm not attempting to make any kind of "decent" argument is because there is none needed. I'm not going out of my way to proof Radiohead are considered legendary worldwide to a guy who thinks Fightstar are great. He/She's obviously got an idiotic musical opinion so no, I'm not about to waste my time.

The fact (because it is a fact) that Radiohead are constantly cited as one of the best British rock bands ever, heralding an innovative touch second to none more or less, whilst also wielding candidates for best album ever (many things reflect this) says to me that they are legendary. Among their peers and listeners.

Me saying they are legendary doesn't make it so, no. They are legendary though, that's what makes it so.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 04:42 PM
exanda kane

No it doesnt. And for someone he judges me on my opinion of a very small and unimportant band (i.e. Fightstar) your really not going out of your way to prove anything apart from immature chantings of "Radiohead are Leg." with no questions asked, nor have you even tried to concede with my view.

I'm sure there's bands that many other people call Legendary that you hate or as some people like you say "overrated". I like Radiohead, yet I dont think they'll ever be accpeted as Legendary. It's sad to say, but more people would probably say Robbie Williams is greater than Radiohead.

And I don't think I've heard all there albums being called great, some reviews I've read have said that overall Radiohead have a hit or miss apitude, just like ian Brown say.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 06:08 PM