KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Any other bands like Radiohead?

Any other bands like Radiohead?
Started by: o kiMMii o

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by exanda kane
No it doesnt. And for someone he judges me on my opinion of a very small and unimportant band (i.e. Fightstar) your really not going out of your way to prove anything apart from immature chantings of "Radiohead are Leg." with no questions asked, nor have you even tried to concede with my view.

I know I'm not going out of my way. There are many, many smarter music fans here who agree with me. Converting you isn't something I need for confirmation.

I'm sure there's bands that many other people call Legendary that you hate or as some people like you say "overrated". I like Radiohead, yet I dont think they'll ever be accpeted as Legendary. It's sad to say, but more people would probably say Robbie Williams is greater than Radiohead.

The question isn't who the mainstream consider great. It's "Are Radiohead Legendary?" The answer is yes. You need only look constantly over their albums reviews, live show reviews, critical and fan reviews, critic and fan voted polls respectively.

You don't have to agree, but agreeing or not doesn't change the fact that they are legendary. I hate U2, but they are legends (if only by reputation).

And I don't think I've heard all there albums being called great, some reviews I've read have said that overall Radiohead have a hit or miss apitude, just like ian Brown say.

Yeah but Ian Brown hasn't been worth listening to since The Stone Roses. Musically or in an opinionated way.

You haven't heard it, so? Does this mean it's never happened? Radiohead aren't for everyone. They're not a band everyone can get into so therefore your average Lostprophets fan isn't gonna think th....oh wait.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 06:20 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

meh

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Last edited by exanda kane on Dec 21st, 2005 at 08:53 PM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 08:47 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

[QUOTE=5609734]Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I know I'm not going out of my way. There are many, many smarter music fans here who agree with me. Converting you isn't something I need for confirmation.

When did I even mention you were trying to convert me. I already said i like Radiohead for what they are and for there experimentational music. And the way you seem to be categorising music fans seems rather strange to me, smarter music fans?

The question isn't who the mainstream consider great. It's "Are Radiohead Legendary?" The answer is yes. You need only look constantly over their albums reviews, live show reviews, critical and fan reviews, critic and fan voted polls respectively.

Yet its by the mainstream that most things Legendary are given there place. The fact that they have constantly good reviews, live shows etc. does not necessarily make them Legendary, I understand what you are trying to say, but on my definition of Legendary lots of good reviews dont make Legends. Hell you could probably say blink 182 are legends based on some of there album reviews (and they are terribly bad live).And btw you sound horribly conservative in those first 2 lines.

You don't have to agree, but agreeing or not doesn't change the fact that they are legendary. I hate U2, but they are legends (if only by reputation).

It's quite clear I'm not agreeing with you, purely because you got childish even before me (which is rare I assure you), yes there are bands which you should dictate as Legendary without any obligation from yourr own opinions, but Radiohead arent one of those. Maybe oneday, but I just dont believe they'll reach it.

Yeah but Ian Brown hasn't been worth listening to since The Stone Roses. Musically or in an opinionated way.

Have you not heard 'Fear?'. But thats not the point, even something King Monkey does will manage to embed itself in someones playlist, just likes Radiohead, but also like Radiohead there will be some stuff that is just too far out there for the average person.

You haven't heard it, so? Does this mean it's never happened? Radiohead aren't for everyone. They're not a band everyone can get into so therefore your average Lostprophets fan isn't gonna think th....oh wait.

I have no clue what your on about here. And finally you concede to one of my points that Radiohead arent for anyone, although infact its probably not for most

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 08:52 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

When did I even mention you were trying to convert me. I already said i like Radiohead for what they are and for there experimentational music. And the way you seem to be categorising music fans seems rather strange to me, smarter music fans?

Yeah, because there is such a thing as some music fans being smarter in their choices than others. If you fail to see this consider yourself not a member of said group.

I've never tried to debate that you like Radiohead either. I don't care if you like, love, hate or dislike them. That was never my argument.

Yet its by the mainstream that most things Legendary are given there place. The fact that they have constantly good reviews, live shows etc. does not necessarily make them Legendary, I understand what you are trying to say, but on my definition of Legendary lots of good reviews dont make Legends. Hell you could probably say blink 182 are legends based on some of there album reviews (and they are terribly bad live).And btw you sound horribly conservative in those first 2 lines.

I never said those reviews made them legends. I said that it contributes to. The fact that so many people worldwide, credible sources, fans, critics, magazines, a broad spectrum of people mainstream and underground, consider them legendary.

You couldn't say Blink 182 are legends cos they get good reviews. They're never realistically hailed as the greatest ever anything, Radiohead are. Admittedly by some sources who also make bad decisions, but Radiohead have done things with music never before heard and that which will never be heard again.

It's quite clear I'm not agreeing with you, purely because you got childish even before me (which is rare I assure you), yes there are bands which you should dictate as Legendary without any obligation from yourr own opinions, but Radiohead arent one of those. Maybe oneday, but I just dont believe they'll reach it.

You don't believe they'll reach it. Right, yes. This has been established. It doesn't remove from the fact that they are a legendary band though. What part of this are you not getting? There's never any case where I'm obligated to call a band legends. I think U2 make lame music and are lame people. Their reputation is legendary though, by definition. As is Radiohead's. This isn't deniable.

leg·en·dar·y
Of, constituting, based on, or of the nature of a legend.

Celebrated in legend.
Extremely well known; famous or renowned.

Yes, both of these apply to Radiohead. Legendary band, in both senses. End of case.

Have you not heard 'Fear?'. But thats not the point, even something King Monkey does will manage to embed itself in someones playlist, just likes Radiohead, but also like Radiohead there will be some stuff that is just too far out there for the average person.

Ian Brown does nothing to the level of Radiohead and to use your own point against you, the average person who doesn't truly grasp Radiohead is usually the one who doesn't think they are legends, or great for that matter.

I don't believe you have what it takes to comprehend why they are as lauded as they are, purely based on what you've given me to work with.

I have no clue what your on about here. And finally you concede to one of my points that Radiohead arent for anyone, although infact its probably not for most

Exactly. Because most people are too stupid, this doesn't mean they're not legendary. Infact it makes them more able to be tagged as such.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:26 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Look, i'm sorry I can't match the arrogance of your post you must be living under a rock if you think everyone considers Radiohead legendary. Yes, this forum will obviously go against me now, but outside of KMC and Jonathon Woss who calls them Legendary!

You need a doctor

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:51 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Look, i'm sorry I can't match the arrogance of your post you must be living under a rock if you think everyone considers Radiohead legendary. Yes, this forum will obviously go against me now, but outside of KMC and Jonathon Woss who calls them Legendary!

You need a doctor

I see you mentioned your definition of legendary a few posts back.

Perhaps you could outline it.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:03 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I think you can gather, thankyou, from my previous posts. Infact I'd take a rough estimate its the same most peoples, maybe including AC's. It's where Radiohead are placed upon that definition that is important.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:12 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

I think you can gather, thankyou, from my previous posts. Infact I'd take a rough estimate its the same most peoples, maybe including AC's. It's where Radiohead are placed upon that definition that is important.

This is what it seems like to me-

A) Being old;

B) Being recognised by Joe Sixpack.

Of course, you may mean something else and be poorly expressing it.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:22 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Well its probably the lattter, although the points you pulled out are tenuously linked to anything considered Legendary. wink

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:26 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Well its probably the lattter, although the points you pulled out are tenuously linked to anything considered Legendary. wink

So by that logic, Robbie Williams is more legendary than the bands you cited.

Interesting analysis. Although to be fair you did say he was more legendary than Radiohead.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:31 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

And we come full circle to my original true, but dismissed claim, that this man has no clue what the hell he is talking about.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:33 PM
exanda kane

Ahh. this this is how much you are up your own arses.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
This much.

Fact is, or I hope so, as you must understand what I am talking about or your sincerly lacking alot of intellectual workings, you can't stand the fact that a fellow fan is saying that Radiohead will never be accpeted as Legendary.

No mattter how much I try to explain, although i did get sidetracked by just how much AC is up his own arse to be fair, you just cannot concede what i am saying. i have no idea why. Do you have any social porblems?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:46 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah, you genuinely are stupid and making the effort to appear intelligent through typing isn't going to aid your debate any more.

You are implying that Robbie Williams is more legendary than Radiohead. You have a very misunderstood view of what legendary means.

I've accepted that YOU don't call Radiohead legendary. I've said this. What YOU don't get is that regardless of whether you believe they are or not, they are legends. This is the crucial part that you are not grasping.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 10:50 PM
exanda kane

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Nah, you genuinely are stupid and making the effort to appear intelligent through typing isn't going to aid your debate any more.

You are implying that Robbie Williams is more legendary than Radiohead. You have a very misunderstood view of what legendary means.

I've accepted that YOU don't call Radiohead legendary. I've said this. What YOU don't get is that regardless of whether you believe they are or not, they are legends. This is the crucial part that you are not grasping.

-AC

So now i think Robbie Williams is a Legend. Riggghhht. (sorry for the hint of americansim there, but it was needed.)

And thanks for the insult it warms my heart to see the plebes struggling to overcome there masters.

Anyways, as I always said "I believe" and not "They are" (well this was the genuine conception) unlike you, it leaves me suggesting something whether you are not allowing any opinions whatsoever. As you probably DONT realise, something are for sure and some are not. Of course The Beatles are Legendary becasue there old, or decaying, and recognised by the average Joe Sixpack, if you go by how Dr.Doom (term of endearment my friend rolling on floor laughing ) interpreted my deifnition of Legendary. That is a fact.

Radiohead arent up there too much, so only there fans and people up there own arses like you A.C will say there Legendary. Most other people will say yeah, there alright. i liked Creep, of course, but by the time Blow Out came about I didn't like it too much anymore, but there still good.

p.s. A* for A.C for villainising me smile

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:15 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

So now i think Robbie Williams is a Legend. Riggghhht. (sorry for the hint of americansim there, but it was needed.)

And thanks for the insult it warms my heart to see the plebes struggling to overcome there masters.

By your rationale, yes. You say many things then go back on them. I'm not even sure YOU know what you mean anymore.

Also, you can't hope to be taken seriously with literacy such as yours.

Anyways, as I always said "I believe" and not "They are" (well this was the genuine conception) unlike you, it leaves me suggesting something whether you are not allowing any opinions whatsoever. As you probably DONT realise, something are for sure and some are not. Of course The Beatles are Legendary becasue there old, or decaying, and recognised by the average Joe Sixpack, if you go by how Dr.Doom (term of endearment my friend rolling on floor laughing ) interpreted my deifnition of Legendary. That is a fact.

So much of that quote made absolutely zero sense. I'm not even sure if it's because of your grammatical butchery or the fact that you really have no clue. Possibly both.

Either way, by the definition of "legendary" that the dictionary goes by (aka the true one) then Radiohead are legendary on both counts. They are famous, revered, critically acclaimed and celebrated. Whether or not there are bands MORE legendary doesn't matter, it's the fact that they are legendary. I think this is what you are confusing. Nobody is saying they are more legendary than any band ever, only that they are legendary.

Radiohead arent up there too much, so only there fans and people up there own arses like you A.C will say there Legendary. Most other people will say yeah, there alright. i liked Creep, of course, but by the time Blow Out came about I didn't like it too much anymore, but there still good.

Ahh, so you're one of the fans who couldn't hack the more complexed stuff eh? Interesting.

Moreover, you are again missing the point. Though I'm not sure you could get a point if it walked up and slit your throat. Here's the point, catch it if you can:

Radiohead are legendary. This is a fact. Going by dictionary definition, they are legends and legendary. Nobody to my knowledge has said they are the most legendary band ever, or more legendary than The Beatles. They ARE better, but nobody said they were more legendary. Just that they were legendary.

Now, YOU have the right to believe otherwise. Nobody is taking that from you. However, you are wrong.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:24 PM
exanda kane

Complexity is a matter of opinion. And did I say iI was that someone that didnt get into Blow Out? No. Infact my favourite album happpens to be there last. Yet again you have shown your lack of thought.

And I do apoligize for the numerous typos in there. This is really going nowhere now.

You've ceased to look at my opinions with any thought purely because I like one band (again a small and unimportant band at that) that you dont like. I understand yours opinion, but thats out of neccessity that you really are quite stubborn.

You've even understood what i have meant, but quite easily found a nice loop hole, made by my spontaneous writing, that allows you to just sit there, mouth open, merely repeating yourself in defense, than do it out of conviction like me.

-STFU smile

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:35 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Complexity is a matter of opinion. And did I say iI was that someone that didnt get into Blow Out? No. Infact my favourite album happpens to be there last. Yet again you have shown your lack of thought.

No, complexity isn't a matter of opinion. Complexity is provable. Nobody can say Pablo Honey is more complex than Kid A.

Do yourself a favour, don't talk about lack of thought, intellect and so forth. You have pathetic grammar, musical judgement and rationale. My thought process is the least of your worries.

You've ceased to look at my opinions with any thought purely because I like one band (again a small and unimportant band at that) that you dont like. I understand yours opinion, but thats out of neccessity that you really are quite stubborn.

No, not necessarily. You have proven yourself to have a shit musical opinion, I never made that decision until you gave me reason to. Sorry. You have yourself to blame. The fact that you keep bringing it up proves my point.

You've even understood what i have meant, but quite easily found a nice loop hole, made by my spontaneous writing, that allows you to just sit there, mouth open, merely repeating yourself in defense, than do it out of conviction like me.

Bullshit said with conviction is still bullshit, kid. A lesson you would do well to learn.

Your opinion is that they aren't legendary. Fine. Nobody is taking that away from you, you have a right to think that. The fact of the matter is, as proven, they are legends and they are legendary. There's no debating this. They are legendary down to definition.

YOU are implying that if they aren't massively well known to the point that everyone everywhere knows them, then they aren't "legendary". Which is bullshit, because that's not what legendary necessarily means. Although to be fair, I'm willing to bet that most people on the street know of Radiohead.

You said that only their fans and "people up their own arse" would consider Radiohead legendary. So what's your point?

I've already proven that your definition of legendary is pointless, though still applicable to Radiohead being legends, and proven that they are legendary by definition.

What exactly are you trying to prove? You don't believe they are legendary therefore they aren't? That's bs isn't it? Because they are. Not because I say they are, but because every definition of "legendary" that exists, applies to them.

You're an idiot and I refuse to debate with you anymore until you sort out what you're bringing to this debate. Preferably something I haven't already steamroller'd.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:45 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

why do people dislike 'Kid A'. i thought it was great thumb up

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:48 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Basically, after OK Computer (their most famous and often most critically acclaimed album) they obviously wanted to do something in a complete other direction, as only Radiohead could.

A lot of fans tried to pull the old "If you don't play in that style again, we won't buy your records." card. Radiohead just said "F*ck off" and continued on their path to being the best British rock band of all time.

As pretentious as it may sound, those too stupid to keep up after OK Computer, decided to turn their backs.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:51 PM
exanda kane

I'm sorry. But now your going along for the hell of it. Please keep patronising me. the "kid" bit realy made me feel loved.

smile

Btw you've almost turned me away frm Radiohead (the thought that someone like you enjoy them is not pleasing) so as a closing cmment because you'll continue to whore this form whatever i do...

RADIOHEAD ARE STILL RIDING THE WAVE OF CREEP!

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2005 12:40 AM