I have seen many opinions on this subject on various forums but not being a member of any of these I can only watch in horror as some people slate the best films and let the awful films get away with....well being awful.
I have to say that OHMSS is one of the best. It is a bit different to the others, granted, but in a good way. It has the best music of any bond film and doesn't just rely on mindless action with no real purpose to make people watch it. Diana Rigg is also perhaps the best ever bond girl. Classy, elegant and sexy yet still vunerable and innocent.
So on all of the above points it stands to reason that the worst bond film is Die Another Day. Although bond films never have amazing plots this stupid sci-fi rubbish is pushing it a bit to far. The film has a few comendable moments like the begining part in which he is being tortured but these parts ae few and far between. The film is littered with faults such as a super powerful sunlight laser thing that can cut straight through hundreds of feet of solid ice but not vapourise a plane? Hmm nice and realistic. And I don't even want to think about the worst cgi affects ever on that wave. I mean they must of watched it before they released it did they not think "hang on this wave looks awful and like some cgi from a film 10 years ago" honestly pc games look more real! The music is the worst of any bond film. It's shocking. But all these faults still aren't as bad as Halle Berry's performance. She is the opposite of Diana Rigg in every way. Not elegant or classy in any way. She ismore of the films focus than Bond is! Bond women aren't meant to be hardcore like bond. Bond doesn't need a sidekick. He is the one man army.
Anyways come on guys how can you disagree?
No it's meant to be officially one of the best. If you can say any opinion is official. I don't think Lazenby was the best bond but he wasn't bad. Better than Timothy Dalton that's for sure (although I did enjoy his films). But what do you lot think of Die another day? Please don't tell me I'm on my own by thinking that it is pants.
Nah moonraker wasn't the most fantastic of the lot but you have to kind of love it because it is a classic. And although it wasn't the best bond film it was definately "a bond film". DaD could of been just another shit action film.
That goes without Question.He brought a lot of humor to the role and as much as I like Connery,I liked Moore the best. as far as the topic goes,yeah I would say either Die another day or On her majestys secret service would be the worst Bond movie ever.Reason being Halle Berry not only sucks as an actress but is ugly as hell as well and of course it has the horrible Pierce Brosnan as Bond.Lazenby was horible as Bond as well and the script was equally as horrible so yeah its a toss up between those two movies as the worst Bond movie ever.
After watching DAD again on tv today I think I can list about 5 reasons It sux'd...
1) Plot is almost identical to golden eye.. Satalite in space shooting death rays at us??? come on....
2) bond girl... No classy, average sexy, far to much of a tomboy agent... We need pretty girls who don't really do action... And crime of crimes Trys to rip off the Dr.no "Out of the water" shot... Dr.no was Perfect....Why try to re do it with a sub par one??
3) bond.... captured..... for a year???? Hes frickin J2daB!!!! He only lets himself get captured when he wants to sneak in...
4) no interesting gadgets... wows a disapearing car... Oh noes!! the one ring to rule all the glass!!! give me the exploding milk bottles the KGB had anyday!!!
5) too Much focus on the special effects... I don't need Computer graphics unless your trying to recreate middle earth... Sure..Touch up the bond gals to perfection.. but try to create some of the sceens... That way you can half believe that I might, 1/109909839 chance actually happen!
6) over exploading car chases... Soo many explosions, but no actual damage... lets have the car and boat chases like the old days!... Roger moore in the speed boat pissin off that backward hick sherif, Priceless...
6.... ok 5+1.... ah... the hate has been lifted... Bring on Casino royal...
And as much as I dislike DaD, I plan on refuting some of your points
1. They're not death rays. It's sun rays that he reverts claiming that crops can be grown all year long now to the best of my recollection.
2. Christmas Jones anyone? She's the biggest tom boy out there in all the bond films, I thought Halle was extremely sexy specially in the orange bikini
3. I thought that added to the appeal, he's not a super hero you know, him being captured makes him more appealing and human imo.
4. Umm the car, the surfboard, his knife that turns into a GPS transmitter, Jinx's cell phone that's a detonator, his sonic ring, and the device he uses to breathe underwater. They're more subtle this time around.
5. If you're talking about the car, I believe, am not too certain though, that it's actually possible for that to occur.
And as a side note, I really enjoyed the extreme sport stunts, like his snowboarding stint if you will, and the surfing aspect.
But yes, I quite disliked DaD, but having not seen all of the other bonds I can't really decide if it's the worst, it had some interesting moments imo. I was just so disappointed with Brosnan's aging, it was as if he was no longer trying
P.S bestest is not a word, best is the superlative
Last edited by silver_tears on Jan 5th, 2006 at 05:02 AM
errr... she can't... if she did, she would be breaking what she said
1. there are a lot of winks to other movies in it, Icarus being in it wasn't that bothersome to me at all. It wasn't really original but bond is cliché too from time to time
2. because it was a hommage to Ursulla, they said it during shooting already they would do that.
3. he also has failed to get shot.. a bit too unrealistic
4. like silver said: now they're subtle
6. they had to chose if they went with the faithful bondfans or went more hollywood, they picked the last, thus more explosions
Ahh how can you defend Dad? If it didn't have James Bond in it then it would of been a massive failure. The movie can't stand as a film in it's own right. It is really bad. Why must you all hate OHMSS? It's really good. Great music score and the story and action was actually half believable. The classic ski chase is legendary. Lazenby did quite a good job, better than Dalton. Dalton had all the suavness or a camel. And Sean connery and Peirce are the best Bonds without a doubt. Roger more is a bit too cheesy for me. Hell he's like a used car salesman!
Just as a further, I think the Actors who play bond have to have a certain X factor. All the actors other than Dalton had it and I don't think you can take that away from the others. Not even from Lazenby. (I don't actually hate Dalton, he's just nopt as good as the rest.)