KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?

Albert Einstein Quote
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I Agree. 75 78.95%
I Disagree. 20 21.05%
Total: 95 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King of Blades
The King

say again?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 01:41 AM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

homo sapiens: "wise man."
Almost like jumbo shrimp.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 02:04 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

oh, I see. Oximorons. Well we can be wise, don't get me wrong. We've just grown lazy over time..

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 02:38 AM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Re: Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
This was verbatim from Albert Einstein himself.

Think it's true ..?

Yes. War is the result of selfishness or a necessary personal gain. Humans didn't always go to war, archeology suggests that it only began about 10,000 years ago. Hmm, about the time of the beginning of agriculture, isn't it? People start owning stuff and wars start. Coincidence...?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 02:58 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe women only fight for men but they really love each other. Men are very isolated from each other, they kiss themselves only father to son and from there the purpose of being idealistic=war. Today I had a wonderful experience and a perfect proof of that statement. A man gets a female friend and is a girlfriend in most cases and a male friend for support=pals not including homo because that's a very different subject. A man can be jealous from the other for missing a proper attention but that only comes from childhood, brother-like and very long time pals. In other words the majority of men hate each other and the only remedy for that is being flexible and cooperative.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 05:53 AM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No, hopefully there will come a time when we grow up and learn to live in piece.

That is the most unlikely thing that could happen.

I agree with Einstein - as long as there are men there will be struggle for power and wealth and thus war.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 01:16 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

hey , its the nature of men to fight, we only think that its changed as we have gotten ' civilized', but its still their nature

They may not fight hand to hand any more, but in other ways .

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 01:28 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

I don't know what the future holds for man and neither did Einstein and because of that, what I'd say to Einstein's quote in return is "So long as there have been men, there have been wars."

Maybe he thought that the past equals the future.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 03:04 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I don't know what the future holds for man and neither did Einstein and because of that, what I'd say to Einstein's quote in return is "So long as there have been men, there have been wars."

Maybe he thought that the past equals the future.

I think he was just saying, we will never learn.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 03:40 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

I think he was just saying, we will never learn.

Possibly so.

However, I find it intriguing that Mr. Einstein would say such a comment but yet played a rather significant role in the creation of the Atom bomb.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 06:24 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eis
androgynous mind

Then China will take over the world. eek!

Likely. happy

I agree, as long as there are men there will be wars. yes

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 06:29 PM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Mindship
Einstein also said this:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm beginning to have my doubts about the former."
Based on this, I would answer Yes.

Oh, I love Albert....and my answer would also be YES!

Got to be a realist of human nature.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 09:15 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Al...tres cool wit de hair.

Until human beings undergo a profound degree of evolution, there will "always" be people killing other people because, ultimately, we fear death. In the deepest pit of every person's psyche is Death Terror. This is the source of all motivation. Every other need--for food, love, sex, money, respect, etc, etc, etc--all percolates up from Death Terror.

While most of us are cool with this (because of healthy ego defenses in unconscious operation) for some--by ilk or circumstance--normal defense mechanisms aint enough. So they kill.

"I so fear my own death, the only way I can feel truly godlike is by killing others."

Until this changes, there will always be war.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 10:03 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

This is like to ask if there will be a time where squirrels will use the toilet, perhaps they will... monkeys did...

It is the nature of the man, perhaps there will be a time where people will learn to live in peace, but then we will not be man anymore, but something different.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2006 12:31 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Taranis
Angry Gorilla

So long as men have the will to fight, there will be wars.

Although, I'd be quick to ask what exactly does Einstein mean by wars. I'm sure that he means wars between two nations, but I think that you could analyze this with broader scope. People will always think differently. It's humanity's strength (or weakness, depending on your point of view). All things great (and terrible, perhaps) have come from this daring to think differently. At the same time, everyone wants to defend what they think is right. And if they're willing to fight, then they will. Wars, in this sense, will last forever. Humanity has never been one to accept the hive mind attitude.

Wars in the sense of battles between nations? This is a bit more difficult to tackle. So long as men have the will to justify his ends with the means, there will be this sort of strife. World peace is a utopic goal to try and achieve. It's a goal that I can't truly discern whether or not it can truly be attained or not.

One thing I think I'm fair in saying is that peace will not rise in this generation. Nor will it rise in the next, or the one after it. Despite this grim vision, I think (or hope) that one day humanity will as a whole will see what its internal strife has gotten it. And maybe, after everyone is tired of war and fighting, maybe we'll all sit down and settle our differences through peaceful discourse. But even then, that seems utopic as well. Look at our history. Have we ever been without war? Has anything great ever been built without war? As long as man is possessed with ambition towards self-gain, he will always be able to take from others. All he needs is a little justification.

I guess what I want to say is that I don't want to give up hope in humanity just yet, even though I've seen the horrors it's capable of commiting. A few thousand years of history in wars is discouraging, but as I said before, man's sole power to make change arises from his ability to think differently. Could we not try and fight against the chain of actions which dominated our ancestors?

Old Post Jan 18th, 2006 03:11 AM
Taranis is currently offline Click here to Send Taranis a Private Message Find more posts by Taranis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fruits
Regenbogenfarben

yes it is true, because we will always have wars with others, it is in our nature, and if we fight the urge to war with others, we are having a war within ourselves, and their is still war.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2006 05:32 AM
fruits is currently offline Click here to Send fruits a Private Message Find more posts by fruits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Some philosophers have argued that the death and destruction of war are necessary components to a meaningful life or even the ability to love.

Life as mere existence isn' t very important. Instead, what is important is a life worth living. It is in people' s interests to preserve their life, but also aspects of life which give it significance: land, family, ideas, value, religion, etc.

Meaningful existence for human beings entails a willingness to preserve those aspects of human life which give it meaning. People are willing to fight, die and kill for their values.

A similar argument is made in defense of the idea that the willingness to engage in violence, even to the point of war, is part of our capacity as humans to love one another.

The ability to love someone requires that we be willing to defend that person. Defending another person whom we love may entail doing that which is otherwise abhorrent to us. One example might be to die for that person - to accept their fate as our own, in other words. Another might be to kill for that person - to act in their defense by killing a person who threatens to kill them.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2006 09:16 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Uberking Robert
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?

This was verbatim from Albert Einstein himself.

Think it's true ..?

Anybody who knows anything is aware that women are as aggressive, vicious and violent as we are; they're merely raised from birth to hide it. And men basically invented the concepts of right and wrong. If women ran the show and there were no men, there wouldn't even be a human race left.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 08:49 AM
Uberking Robert is currently offline Click here to Send Uberking Robert a Private Message Find more posts by Uberking Robert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BeachBunny
Creme De la Creme

Re: Re: Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you a

Originally posted by Uberking Robert
Anybody who knows anything is aware that women are as aggressive, vicious and violent as we are; they're merely raised from birth to hide it. And men basically invented the concepts of right and wrong. If women ran the show and there were no men, there wouldn't even be a human race left.

Hard, but true, I think you are right.
I think that as long as there are strong feelings like: hate, frustration, jealousy.. etc all can happen.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 04:58 PM
BeachBunny is currently offline Click here to Send BeachBunny a Private Message Find more posts by BeachBunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beckspistol

I think humans will never get ride of wars, as long they exist. To cushion other people is a part of humanity the same like to love your woman/man. humans can´t get ride of that, cause even when all humans will have the same standard about living(means work, healthy, religion, love and food and what ever is important for people) there will be always someone who wants to rule above all. and that other people will dislike his leadership what will end in forces again.

Even when we could make it that we get ride of all weapons one day, there will be man who wants to use the chance and they will cushion us with wood pieces with nails inside. and then we have to arm us with bigger wood pieces with bigger nails inside, to defend us. and when we toked down the attackers we will try to cushion other or other will come to try to cushion us again. is all a circle we never can ride of, so i can say it is completely true what albert einstein said.

Last edited by Beckspistol on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 05:20 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 05:18 PM
Beckspistol is currently offline Find more posts by Beckspistol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote