KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » NHL discussion thread

NHL discussion thread
Started by: Anth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

The thing about baseball though, there are double headers. and it is essentially America's sport. I do agree that the NHL doesnt do to much for promoting the sport, untill around playoff time.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2004 10:28 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

"the owners aren't interested in sharing. It seems they are only interested in helping themselves, not the league as a whole."

Exactly.

"I think the league doesn't know how to promote itself: talking up the skill of the players is fine"

We need another superstar as well. The league as of right now is trying to build up Crosby to be that kid...Now, I didn't watch hockey when Lemieux was in his prime but, I've seen videos and it is truely amazing to watch. Recently, the Pittsburgh area FOX Sports has been putting on "Classic Penguins" shows...Showing the best/most historic Penguins games in their history.

The last one I saw was in 1995 or 96, Lemieux scored 5 goals and should have had about 10 more. He was amazing and people that rarely watch hockey WOULD turn it on to see another player of his caliber. 89-the late 90's was when Lemieux was Le Magnifique and, for hockey to survive, we need another player like that...It would pull ratings up by the bootstraps if they could get a 19 year old that would be good enough to win the Richard Trophy or the Art Ross trophy...

Honestly, I think the length needs to be shortened slightly also...But, I would hope they let every team play each other at least once...I like that setup.

What I think they truely need to fix is the tie system. Teams "play for the tie" sometimes and, I think this is stupid...Set up a new points system...I had one figured out but, I forget it now...Or even go back to the shootouts(just for regular season). The shootout loser still gets a point but, the winner gets 2. If a team is obviously outmatched in individual talent, they'll play harder in the OT to get the 2...It would make for a better game and, hopefully more exciting game play.

Also, move the damn nets back to where they were! Thank you and have a nice day.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 01:43 AM
xeous is currently offline Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

so far it has been 70 days and the lockout is still on.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 10:09 PM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Hockey isnt much fun to watch without Lemieux. The Worlds greatest Hockey player. I dont know, the NHL defaintly needs to hack off some games from the 82 games season, that is entirely to many games, this is why the sport isnt as competitive.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 10:48 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

Wayne Gretzky is the worlds greatest hockey player.... if mario didnt have cancer and all these medical problems he would be the greatest but since he does wayne is the best.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 03:31 AM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Your theory on the tie system is exactly what the tie system is already.
Teams who win get 2 points, 2 points if they win in OT, and 1 point if they tie. And they made it 4 on 4. Most games that go to OT are shootouts with no D. Its great. Shoot-outs is a love-hate relationship. Its fun to watch, but heartbreaking to lose. I dont think it has place in NHL.
What they should do is take away the redline and have no touch icing.

On the lock-out though, its both parties fault. Owner's for being greedy and player's being greedy. i feel a salary cap is in ordered partly because the current system is not working and some different needs to be done.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 08:16 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DaRk Lotus
king of the underworld

Just bring hocky BACK mad mad smokin' Happy Dance

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 02:29 PM
DaRk Lotus is currently offline Click here to Send DaRk Lotus a Private Message Find more posts by DaRk Lotus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

quote:
Originally posted by Samas-adian
Your theory on the tie system is exactly what the tie system is already.
Teams who win get 2 points, 2 points if they win in OT, and 1 point if they tie. And they made it 4 on 4. Most games that go to OT are shootouts with no D. Its great. Shoot-outs is a love-hate relationship. Its fun to watch, but heartbreaking to lose. I dont think it has place in NHL.
What they should do is take away the redline and have no touch icing.

On the lock-out though, its both parties fault. Owner's for being greedy and player's being greedy. i feel a salary cap is in ordered partly because the current system is not working and some different needs to be done.

I think the tie system is good as it is...... and if you lose in OT the losing team gets 1 point while the winning team gets 2 points.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 10:16 PM
xeous
The Next.

In the old shootout version, the loser got nothing.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 11:14 PM
xeous is currently offline Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

shootout's suck... and i am glad that they dont have them in the nhl.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 11:21 PM
xeous
The Next.

That's hillarious you say that because they're almost GUARENTEED to be back in the next season(whenever that is). It's almost a done deal...

If you guys want me to start throwing out links for the CBA/Shootouts/etc I'd be more than happy to.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 11:40 PM
Shadow_King
-

its ok... i already know that their gonna bring in shootouts back in... which i think is a bad idea.....

Old Post Dec 15th, 2004 01:02 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

They're thinking about it. But nothing Guarenteed. Maybe they should work on bringing hockey back instead of thinking of shootouts.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2004 01:36 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

well its not gonna happen.... so we have to wait next season.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2004 03:07 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hopefully next season.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2004 06:57 AM
Shadow_King
-

well it looks like aboot 4 hundread and some thing games have been lost.... and when it hits the 468 mark of no game the season is offically cancelled.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2004 10:34 PM
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow_King
its ok... i already know that their gonna bring in shootouts back in... which i think is a bad idea.....

Why do you think shootouts are a bad idea? Do you know how many times i have watched a game that has gone into double and even triple over time? TO MANY!! And they are fu.ckin pointless. If it is only the 40th game in the season there is absolutley no point for over time to be dragged out for a period that ends up in no score any way.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 09:47 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Learn your hockey. Regular season does not go to a 2nd OT peroid. Replacing the shootout for decesions in the playoffs is the most stupid f**cking thing i have heard. The most intense games in the playoffs is when the game goes into overtime. Its shows who is the best team.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 12:20 AM
Shadow_King
-

thats how i think SA when it comes down to penalty shots all you have to do is deke the goalie... or sometimes you can get lucky by just shooting it and praying that it goes in.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 12:26 AM
xeous
The Next.

And that's where you need to learn your hockey, SA...They won't be implimenting Shootouts in the playoffs, only regular season so there will not be any ties. The main idea behind the one OT, game over is so that they avoid stress injuries of lenghty games. This way, they can avoid ties and the injuries.

I like the idea...If your team doesn't have a ton of individual talent and you're playing a team with a lot of individual talent, you'll try that much harder during the OT to get the 2 points...

Too many teams play for ties...I HATE that strategy...

Old Post Dec 21st, 2004 04:50 AM