KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!

Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Funkadelic

Thanks, I guess.

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:20 PM
Funkadelic is currently offline Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually agree with Prince.

Elvis is disgustingly overrated, but I guess you had to be there right? Isn't that just the best "Get Out of Jail Free" card there is?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:21 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

I don't know how influential Prince is or was. But he is regarded as one of the best songwriters ever, and is apparently a decent, not great, musician with MANY instruments.

...very impressive, no doubt.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:22 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

The King overrated, AC?

...is one of my fav's. sad

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:23 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

50 Cent easily, oh, and Jessica Simpson.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:24 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I actually agree with Prince.

there you go wink you can get it right

Elvis is disgustingly overrated

-AC

In your opinion wink

but I guess you had to be there right? Isn't that just the best "Get Out of Jail Free" card there is?

-AC

Nah... Diplomatic immunity is the best get out of jail free card, the one you quoted has the drawback that "you had to be there" for it to work smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:26 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Prince is great on every instrument he plays. He's impressed some of the world's best guitarists.

Originally posted by BobbyD
The King overrated, AC?

...is one of my fav's. sad

So? Him being one of your favs doesn't make him not overrated.

You really need to look up the definitions of over and underrating. You've got it so confused.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:26 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
there you go wink you can get it right

In your opinion wink

Nah... Diplomatic immunity is the best get out of jail free card the one you quoted means you had to be there for it to work smile

A) I always get it right.

B) Nah, he is overrated. The amount of praise he gets is in no way equal to what he actually did for music.

C) No need for that part, what I said was true. If you're old and you're losing a debate that you can't back up, it's "You're young, weren't there."

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:27 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

So? Him being one of your favs doesn't make him not overrated.

-AC

And you saying he is doesn't make it so either smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:28 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Wow, Whirly, your ignorance of music astounds me.

Especially your comments about growing out of something when you get older.

My mother is 44 (today is her birthday), 24 years older than I. Guess who it was through that I started listening to a lot of the music that I like? My mother. I remember listening to bands like Nirvana and Faith No More when I was 3-4 years old. My mom's told stories of my brother dancing to the Sex Pistols and Ramones when he was three years old. That's what I grew up on. I had Radiohead, Tool, System of a Down, RATM CDs when they came out, even though I was a kid. 20 years later, what does my mom still like and listen to? Faith No More, System of a Down, Black Sabbath, and Weezer are her favorite bands. Apparently she didn't 'grow out of it' as she got older, as she and I still have the same tastes in music.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

laughing

Ha! Whatever, AC.

...just making sure us old timers don't get "kicked to the curb".

Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lana, let's be fair. Three or four? I actually remember you telling me that you knew your Mum liked them and that you hadn't bothered listening to them until I started speaking about them.

And you saying he is doesn't make it so either smile

No, you're missing the point.

Bobby thinks that because he likes someone, they are either underrated or overrated. He believes The Who are UNDERRATED just because they aren't generally rated as high as he would like.

They are factually overrated.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:31 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lana

My mother is 44 (today is her birthday), 24 years older than I. Guess who it was through that I started listening to a lot of the music that I like? My mother. I remember listening to bands like Nirvana and Faith No More when I was 3-4 years old. My mom's told stories of my brother dancing to the Sex Pistols and Ramones when he was three years old. That's what I grew up on. 20 years later, what does my mom still like and listen to? Faith No More, System of a Down, Black Sabbath, and Weezer are her favorite bands. Apparently she didn't 'grow out of it' as she got older, as she and I still have the same tastes in music.

Well I would say most peoples taste changes if your mum likes listening to the same music she used to thats cool. Music will always be subjective. Faith No More truly are not a great band. Lana I hate to say it your mum is 5 years older than me and you are really very young, your taste will probably change, but if it doesn't that's cool you'll save a fortune in buying Cd's, Downlods or whatever format music format exists then. So you share a taste in music with AC. Thats cool, It's your fashion. wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:31 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

My mother is 44 (today is her birthday), 24 years older than I. Guess who it was through that I started listening to a lot of the music that I like? My mother. I remember listening to bands like Nirvana and Faith No More when I was 3-4 years old. My mom's told stories of my brother dancing to the Sex Pistols and Ramones when he was three years old. That's what I grew up on. I had Radiohead, Tool, System of a Down, RATM CDs when they came out, even though I was a kid. 20 years later, what does my mom still like and listen to? Faith No More, System of a Down, Black Sabbath, and Weezer are her favorite bands. Apparently she didn't 'grow out of it' as she got older, as she and I still have the same tastes in music.
Parental Influence eh?

I dunno.My dad likes SOAD,he got me into Metallica after a while.Then again,he also like's James Blunt.It's my moms fault.She popularized him no expression

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:32 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Lana, let's be fair. Three or four? I actually remember you telling me that you knew your Mum liked them and that you hadn't bothered listening to them until I started speaking about them.

No, you're missing the point.

Bobby thinks that because he likes someone, they are either underrated or overrated. He believes The Who are UNDERRATED just because they aren't generally rated as high as he would like.

-AC

That's not what I said and you know it - what I had said is that I hadn't listened to them in years, not that I had never liked them before.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:32 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

-AC

The same could be said of Faith no more AC in your opinion. You think they are underrated, I cannot believe you have them in your mind on a level with the Beatles.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:33 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's not what I said and you know it - what I had said is that I hadn't listened to them in years, not that I had never liked them before.

We are all influenced to a point by our parents Lana so your into your mums music, thats cool I hope my baby is into my music as well. wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:35 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The same could be said of Faith no more AC in your opinion. You think they are underrated, I cannot believe you have them in your mind on a level with the Beatles.

I never said they are underrated, they're under-recognised for their influence, and they are. You don't realise the extent to which they influence and the proof is that you don't listen to much modern music. Your tactic? You pass it off as fashion. You're ignorant and contrary to your own belief, you're not too well versed on music as I've proven many times before. You're just bitten that a young guy such as myself continues to upstage you.

Lana, barely anyone appreciates music by name at 3-4 outside of subconsciously and even then it's just rhythm. You didn't dance to FNM and think "Oh mad, FNM, truly credible music by great musicians" at 3 or 4. You may very well have liked the music, but anything else is just an overstretch.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:37 PM
Peach
mordrem

FNM are very much a little-known band, though.

We are all influenced to a point by our parents Lana so your into your mums music, thats cool I hope my baby is into my music as well. wink

As I've gotten older it's sorta changed so that now I largely influence her tastes now. Like, she likes Incubus because she heard me listening to them 5 or 6 years back and thought they sounded good.

Though we both equally hate many things - like Coldplay.

quote:
Lana, barely anyone appreciates music by name at 3-4 outside of subconsciously and even then it's just rhythm. You didn't dance to FNM and think "Oh mad, FNM, truly credible music by great musicians" at 3 or 4. You may very well have liked the music, but anything else is just an overstretch.

Well, duh, and I'm not saying anything else. Just pointing out that for the most part, I'm still listening to the same stuff I have since childhood, and that I was listening to that stuff because of my mom.

I have my 4 and 2 year old siblings dancing to SOAD all the time stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:37 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Whoa, whoa, whoa....whether I'm incorrect or correct about bands being underrated or overrated has nothing to do with my liking/disliking for them, AC. Generally speaking, it makes sense however that for someone you (anyone) think to be underrated, you have to actaully like/respect them.

Now, it is possible that I might be misinformed or delusional, but to say that my opinion of someone being underrated or overrated is tied to my liking or distate for them is not necessarily true. It all depends....case by case scenario.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:38 PM