KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!

Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Faith No More,were really popular in Holland at one time.They had like three number 1 hits in the nineties erm

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:40 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lana
FNM are very much a little-known band, though.

As I said I saw them at Nottingham Rock city in 1990 or 1989, I don't dislike them, but they are not the Beatles to say they are is insane.

As I've gotten older it's sorta changed so that now I largely influence her tastes now. Like, she likes Incubus because she heard me listening to them 5 or 6 years back and thought they sounded good.

Thats fair enough my dad was born in 1928 and likes the Clash for similar reasons.

Originally posted by Slay
Faith No More,were really popular in Holland at one time.They had like three number 1 hits in the nineties erm

that would be about right they had some top 30 hits in the UK in the early nineties laughing out loud pop/rock

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:41 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

FNM are very much a little-known band, though.

They're not, they're a legendary band. Just not massively know legendary.

Originally posted by BobbyD
Whoa, whoa, whoa....whether I'm incorrect or correct about bands being underrated or overrated has nothing to do with my liking/disliking for them, AC. Generally speaking, it makes sense however that for someone you (anyone) think to be underrated, you have to actaully like/respect them.

"The King overrated? AC, he's one of my favourites."

So? He's still overrated. U2 are overrated, whether they're a favourite or not.

Now, it is possible that I might be misinformed or delusional, but to say that my opinion of someone being underrated or overrated is tied to my liking or distate for them is not necessarily true. It all depends....case by case scenario.

You said that The Who were UNDERRATED because they weren't rated as highly as you would like them to be. That's tied to how much you like them, not anything relevant.

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
As I said I saw them at Nottingham Rock city in 1990 or 1989, I don't dislike them, but they are not the Beatles to say they are is insane.

Nobody's saying they are.

They're just worlds better. In terms of talent (on instruments and creatively), more innovative and more influential genuinely. They're not a name to be dropped so therefore, when someone says "FNM influenced me" you know it's genuine. Pop idiots reference The Beatles to be cool.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:42 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Aye...sometimes AC, you see things too much the way you only want to see them, or the way it makes sense to YOU. wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:44 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So? He's still overrated. U2 are overrated

-AC

In your opinion AC.

Aye...sometimes AC, you see things too much the way you only want to see them, or the way it makes sense to YOU. wink

Bless him - he truly does smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:45 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You made a thread called "Most Underrated Bands", in it you cited The Who and Fleetwood Mac, two of the furthest bands from being underrated that there are.

You're very confused.

In your opinion AC.

Did I state anything else? "We're the best band in the world"-Bono.

Overrating.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:45 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

You made a thread called "Most Underrated Bands", in it you cited The Who and Fleetwood Mac, two of the furthest bands from being underrated that there are.

You're very confused.

-AC

Pot calling Kettle, come in Kettle.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:47 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Did I state anything else? "We're the best band in the world"-Bono.

-AC

In his opinion, I'll take the middle ground wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:48 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I understand you're bitter about me forcing you further and further into irrelvancy by smashing your points and exposing your hypocricy, but do you have anything else to add, or are you here to just massage the sphincters of those who attempt to challenge me?

In his opinion, I'll take the middle ground wink

You're not good at playing Devil's Advocate, Whirly.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

BobbyD
Animal Lover

As great as someone can be or is, someone can still be underrated, AC. Take for instance Tim Duncan of the NBA. If you follow the NBA, you know that he is on the path to being the greatest power forward in NBA history, yet is still incredibly underrated. This is a similar loop hole. erm

BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

As great as someone can be or is, someone can still be underrated, AC. Take for instance Tim Duncan of the NBA. If you follow the NBA, you know that he is on the path to being the greatest power forward in NBA history, yet is still incredibly underrated. This is a similar loop hole. erm

The Who are often regarded as "The Best Band in the World Ever" by many "official" polls and are often labelled as the best ever on their respective instruments.

The former is subjective, but I disagree anyway. The second is factually untrue and proves how much they get overrated.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:51 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

I understand you're bitter about me forcing you further and further into irrelvancy by smashing your points and exposing your hypocricy, but do you have anything else to add, or are you here to just massage the sphincters of those who attempt to challenge me?

-AC

Smashed my points laughing out loud best joke all day.

AC You tell enough white lies to ice a cake. Question: Does your train of thought have a caboose?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:52 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Smashed my points laughing out loud best joke all day.

AC You tell enough white lies to ice a cake. Question: Does your train of thought have a caboose?

You bailed out of the Radiohead debate faster than Road Runner and simultaneously managed to dodge everything I said WHILE providing cop out replies. A record indeed. Oh, no wait. Of course, your reply was something along the lines of me not understanding because I'm young and had to be there, right?

Question of my own: Do you have anything relevant to say? Last I checked it was me who holds the last on topic post.

Are you done swerving? Because there are two threads in which you've dodged me now.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:54 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

You bailed out of the Radiohead debate faster than Road Runner and simultaneously managed to dodge everything I said WHILE providing cop out replied. A record indeed.

Not really you get uspet when I quote reputable experts over your opinion and waffle on regardless. Of course the Beatles have influenced more bands than Radiohead and innovated more. You are obviously suffering from Clue Deficit Disorder.

Question of my own: Do you have anything relevant to say? Last I checked it was me who holds the last on topic post.

-AC

And there you were, reigning supreme at number two.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:57 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Alright guys, can we agree to disagree sometimes w/o ruining this forum? beer

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 08:59 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Alright guys, can we agree to disagree sometimes w/o ruining this forum? beer

agreed smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:01 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not really you get uspet when I quote reputable experts over your opinion and waffle on regardless.

Oh the hypocrisy is widerife. Reputable experts? It's still their opinion Whirly wink. Heed your own words buddy, heed them well. You always resort to Google, in every single debate. You can never do it alone.

Of course the Beatles have influenced more bands than Radiohead and innovated more. You are obviously suffering from Clue Deficit Disorder.

And you're obviously suffering from "Can't prove anything" disorder. You've still not replied to my last post about The Beatles innovation. You gave half-assed, pointless cop out replies and I called you out, you backed down.

Me: List everything innovative they've ever done.

You: Erm...lots of interesting instruments....sounds...in general.

Me: Go on.

*Car drives away*

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:02 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh the hypocrisy is widerife. Reputable experts? It's still their opinion Whirly wink. Heed your own words buddy, heed them well. You always resort to Google, in every single debate. You can never do it alone.

I always resort to secondary opinions from reputable experts who share my opinion agreed. I like to know my opinion is supported by evidence and not empty opinion - agreed. smile

Hypocrisy, I can tell that your charisma bypass was successful.

Short listsmile

Musical
- renders much of existing USA RnR (esp Rockabilly, Phil. Mach., doo wop, pre-Motown girl groups, etc) out of style during initial introduction in 1964
- intense appeal of music revives bland/stultified pop market, success set up environment for British Invasion
- lay foundation for "arena rock," with their 1965 performance in Shea Stadium (NYC) entertaining 55,000 fans, demonstrating their intense appeal
- Beatles helped set in motion a maturation process for RnR, ultimately ending with their contribution for establishing "Rock" by proving that RnR could be conduit for significant message re culture/society: in process they expanded to embrace topics and musical style formerly excluded from RnR genre
- expansion in full bloom on Revolver '66: "Taxman"--protest about rapacious taxation by UK govt, "Eleanor Rigby"-- reflecting on emptiness of life and religious ritual, melody set to string quartet (no trad. rock insts), "Love To You"-- introduction of subcontinent Indian musical style (raga) and instruments (tabla and sitar), "Tomorrow Never Knows"-- Lennon advocation for opening one's mind to new experience, exploiting technical innovations (see technical)
- music sets new artistic and commercial standards for future RnR (the "yardstick" by which every group will be measure in '60s and into '70s)
- sets trend for bands establishing and maintaining artistic control over their music:
- inaugurate era of "self-contained" band (inspiring thousands to pick up guitars and imitate them)
- help to reestablish trend that artists compose songs for themselves: bands now expected (by fans) to create own material; redirects song-writing trend away from centralized, production-line, professional song-writing concept indicative of Brill Bldg
- set trend for bands to record their music themselves
- in all, establishing many aspects of "DIY" trend, which becomes measure of authority
- accorded credit for creating new style of album with Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band: "concept album," in which songs can be seen to relate to one central topic or idea
- helps establish "album" rather than "single" as industry standard
- seen as pushing Beatle creativity into realm of classical music: Pepper's songs now contain stylistic diversity and artistic sophistication to be considered equivalent to Romantic "art-song" and album equivalent to Romantic "song cycle" by Schubert, Schumann, Wolf, etc
- seen as early pioneers of music video with promotional film for "SFF", also sections of HDN
- said to start (but re-introduce) concept of double A-side single

Music Technology/Creative Process
- begin to create exclusively in studio (retire from touring in 12/66)
- first successful band to do so, set trend for future bands
- pioneer new techniques to maintain creative/innovative musical style
- begin to rely on creativity of studio technicians/producer:
- E.g. ADT (artificial double tracking ["flanging"]) created to ease problematic vocal double-tracking process for JLennon, comes into wide-spread use on instruments in future albums
- E.g. Lennon's request that G Martin combine two "uncombinable" versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"
- E.g. subjecting voices, instruments to unusual electronic modifications (limiters, etc) to produce sophisticated, inimitable "sound"
- explore innovative, avant-garde techniques (formerly unused in RnR)
- E.g. musique concrete--modification of sound through unconventional techniques: tape loops used in "Tomorrow..", steam calliope 'wash' used to help create circus atmosphere in "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite"
- E.g. Aleatoric approach toward creating orchestral crescendos in "Day In A Life"
- E.g. avant-garde influence in "Revolution No. 9"
- experimentation is so pervasive that nearly every subsequent technique used in Rock can be traced to precedent in Beatles music
- first significant group to achieve "verticality" in business through Apple Corp. (i.e controlling all significant aspects of their business (from songwriting to recording to movies etc. through an in-house/self-contained entity)

case rested point proved.

I can't believe I'm arguing with a Faith no more fan laughing out loud

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Feb 6th, 2006 at 09:12 PM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:07 PM
Bardock42

I can't beliee you still post the exact same posts in two different threads....damn.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:23 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

They're not, they're a legendary band. Just not massively know legendary.

Not massively known - precisely my point.

*goes back to playing video games*

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:23 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote