KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Protoss Federation battlegroup (Brood War) vs. Venator-class ship

Who will win?
This poll is closed.
Protoss battlegroup 5 83.33%
Venator-class Guarlara 1 16.67%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Protoss Federation battlegroup (Brood War) vs. Venator-class ship
Started by: Twilight Janick

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Twilight Janick
Minor victory, maybe, but the rules of the forum are such that the dogfighting engagement is only a what if option. Granted, in boarding actions, they would win, with droideka-style shields and lightsabers (in the case of Zealots and Dark Templars) or otherwise heavy-caliber plasma weapons, but Scouts are pretty hard to hit even with the light turbolasers (250 TJ yield). If light turbolasers in ANH didn't succeed to even hit a X-Wing (whose dogfight speeds are much slower than 20 km/s), then imagine even computer-controlled turbolasers hitting a Scout flying at 20 km/s, firing their photon cannons upon the guns of the Venator.

If they were to use the heavy turbolasers, maybe two or four intensity-7 shots (20,000 TJ each) can destroy the Carrier (assuming it isn't flying at its top sublight speed, which is 10 km/s). I don't know if ARC-170s or V-Wings can even think of flying at 10 km/s. If they can, they are a match for the Scouts.
If light turbolasers have trouble hitting targets manuevering at 20 km/s, then I think it stands to reason that a Venator's heavy turbolasers will have difficulty hitting a Carrier moving 10 km/s. This seems significantly faster than the capital ships Venator usually engage.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2006 04:27 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Originally posted by Acrosurge
If light turbolasers have trouble hitting targets manuevering at 20 km/s, then I think it stands to reason that a Venator's heavy turbolasers will have difficulty hitting a Carrier moving 10 km/s. This seems significantly faster than the capital ships Venator usually engage.

How fast are they? All ships in the game (at least according to the game mechanics) are capable of atmospheric extraction. The top sublight speed of Venators are about 10 km/s as well (how could Yoda's Venator fly from the surface of Coruscant to the surface of Kashyyyk without going fast enough to go out of the gravity well?)

How fast are ARC-170s?

Name a number between 1 and 10
Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 9th, 2006 04:33 PM
FE Expert is currently offline Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

How fast are they? All ships in the game (at least according to the game mechanics) are capable of atmospheric extraction. The top sublight speed of Venators are about 10 km/s as well (how could Yoda's Venator fly from the surface of Coruscant to the surface of Kashyyyk without going fast enough to go out of the gravity well?)

How fast are ARC-170s?
confused I dunno. I thought I was using your numbers for ship speeds, but I must have misread something. Wheeee! big grin

Still going with the Scouts based on maneuverability, firepower, and range.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2006 06:09 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Maybe if we magnify the ISD figure (from which I estimated the Venator's shield capacity) by five (because the first method was assuming I used one shot of trench guns per second during 30 minutes) then it would give (5*1800*250TJ=2,250,000 TJ) then the Venator's shields are between 500-1500 PJ (119,61-358,85 megatons). It would require more volleys, assuming a 475-kiloton rocket, but the Protoss still have a chance.

Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 10th, 2006 12:55 AM
FE Expert is currently offline Click here to Send FE Expert a Private Message Find more posts by FE Expert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Maybe if we magnify the ISD figure (from which I estimated the Venator's shield capacity) by five (because the first method was assuming I used one shot of trench guns per second during 30 minutes) then it would give (5*1800*250TJ=2,250,000 TJ) then the Venator's shields are between 500-1500 PJ (119,61-358,85 megatons). It would require more volleys, assuming a 475-kiloton rocket, but the Protoss still have a chance.
Do what you like, however, chances are that the Venator's shields are going to be significantly less powerful than an ISD. Venators are an older version of an Imperial Class SD, correct?

Old Post Feb 10th, 2006 03:18 AM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Correct. I know Venators have less powerful shields, but I assumed so only because of volume. Venators are 1,137 meters long and Imperators are 1,600 meters long (if not contradicted by the movies) and have the same general outlines (though basic examination would determine that they have significantly different volume, Imperators being more voluminous, don't know by how much)

Anyway, the battle takes place in open space, in Hiigara's high orbit. In high orbit, you don't need to fly at 10 km/s to fight accurately. And 10 km/s is too fast to make Interceptors take off.

Sorry if I used game mechanics again. Carriers' shields can withstand eighteen rockets. They can withstand 18*475 KT = 8,550 KT (2 shots at setting-7 from the heavy turbolaser)

Pandemonium

Last edited by FE Expert on Feb 10th, 2006 at 02:31 PM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2006 02:25 PM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Link to fan fiction

I finally started a story about the Galactic Empire invading Protoss federation space.

Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 10th, 2006 04:45 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Link to fan fiction

I finally started a story about the Galactic Empire invading Protoss federation space.
Finally? Have you been thinking about this for a while? I've heard of the Empire vs the United Federation of Planets, or Star Wars vs Babylon 5, but the Empire vs the Protoss is new to me.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2006 05:27 PM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

Before I started the entire Starcraft vs. Star Trek and Starcraft vs. Star Wars thing, I was in the Star Trek vs. Star Wars circuit in the pro-Trek side, but I didn't have many wins.

The next move may be Zerg vs. CIS. I already did a thread about Dark Templars vs. Sith, called Zeratul vs. Bastila Shan.

Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 11th, 2006 12:15 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

I was in the Star Trek vs. Star Wars circuit in the pro-Trek side, but I didn't have many wins.
That's a shame. ST tech rules SW's tech. SW only has greater numbers. Are you familiar with this site?

http://st-v-sw.net/STSWcompare.html

It's a great resource and highly detailed.

Last edited by Acrosurge on Feb 11th, 2006 at 05:07 PM

Old Post Feb 11th, 2006 05:02 PM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

But I did debate alongside the creator of that site. The foes were rabid Warsies, and quite rabid at that. One may compare the pro-Trek and the pro-Wars debaters to radiation. The pro-Trek are like alpha rays, slightly positive (they are lightly biased), the pro-Wars are like beta rays, massively negative (they are heavily biased). Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 12th, 2006 04:49 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

But I did debate alongside the creator of that site. The foes were rabid Warsies, and quite rabid at that. One may compare the pro-Trek and the pro-Wars debaters to radiation. The pro-Trek are like alpha rays, slightly positive (they are lightly biased), the pro-Wars are like beta rays, massively negative (they are heavily biased). Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Wrong? Dude, you're like my new hero! Happy Dance

Old Post Feb 13th, 2006 12:24 AM
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

I never saw anyone else debate here about Protoss vs. Star Wars. I don't know why, Starcraft is a sci-fi game and Star Wars is a sci-fi movie. They can fit together in a debate.

Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 14th, 2006 12:20 AM
Aliies
Art-type-person-thingy...

What would you like help with in regards to your SW vs. SC story as im a Huge fan of both... (though mainly Starcraft... Entaro Adun, Entaro Tassadar, though isn't Aldaris 'extinct'?)

Zoe: "Shoot them sir?"

Mal: "...Politely"

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 02:02 PM
Aliies is currently offline Click here to Send Aliies a Private Message Find more posts by Aliies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FE Expert
Fire Emblem expert

This is set between the Overmind's death and Aldaris' demise (in the SC storyline).

Pandemonium

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 02:15 PM