KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect: Cyclops...

Respect: Cyclops...
Started by: Black Adam

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Black Adam
Badass from Kahndaq

quote: (post)
Originally posted by pr1983
They won't, its a permanent account... wink

i have those, i'll post em asap... im on dial up so i'll get to a net cafe n do it during the week... n x-men #44 is like 4 or 5 pages, but i'll get em anyway...

nice sig....you wouldn't happen to be a /co/tard would you?

sig by willRules

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 10:25 PM
Black Adam is currently offline Click here to Send Black Adam a Private Message Find more posts by Black Adam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jade Lightning

Originally posted by pr1983
They won't, its a permanent account... wink

i have those, i'll post em asap... im on dial up so i'll get to a net cafe n do it during the week... n x-men #44 is like 4 or 5 pages, but i'll get em anyway...

Breakworld?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 11:07 PM
Jade Lightning is currently offline Click here to Send Jade Lightning a Private Message Find more posts by Jade Lightning Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by manorastroman
it's heavily implied that cyclops is the x-men that will destroy breakworld...that's some power.

Really? where'd you hear that?

Originally posted by Black Adam
nice sig....you wouldn't happen to be a /co/tard would you?

I'm clueless as to what that means.... embarrasment

Originally posted by Jade Lightning
Breakworld?

Breakworld is from astonishing x-men... basically someone from another planet saw into the future and saw that their planet would be destroyed, most likely by an x-man... its a recurring storyline in astonishing x-men...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 12:39 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Re: respect Cyclops request...

K, here's what i do have...

* X-men #44, Sept. 1995 - Cyke leads the remaining Acolytes, pretty impressive how they found there way home by Cyke's exceptional leadership...

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...n_044_07-08.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...-Men_044_09.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...-Men_044_10.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...-Men_044_11.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...-Men_044_15.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...-Men_044_16.jpg

* Uncanny X-men #339, Dec. 1996 - wrestles with Havok and outsmarting him by blasting his "anti-grav unit"...

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...ges/__hr_14.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe...ges/__hr_15.jpg

* X-men #23, Aug. 1993 - fights the Dark Riders all by himself... i believe this comic was the first issue where the 3rd Summers brother was mentioned, c/o Mr. Sinister, correct me if i'm wrong...

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe..._11_rougher.jpg

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Membe..._19_rougher.jpg

I don't have these ones...

* Factor X #3, May 1995 - one-eyed Cyke cuts a monster in two, at point blank range...

* don't know the issue, but there's a comic where Cyke defeats the Mother Sentinel, Mastermold, by outsmarting it...

Any problems let me know...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 11:28 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Adam
Badass from Kahndaq

nice

This hasn't been posted yet has it?

(please log in to view the image)

sig by willRules

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 11:55 PM
Black Adam is currently offline Click here to Send Black Adam a Private Message Find more posts by Black Adam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

nice

This hasn't been posted yet has it?

I've no idea... but yeah, one of the goodies...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 12:03 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Alright, i know its a double post, but...

Your truly was asked to and just wrote the 'impressive feats' section on the Cyclops page on wikipedia...

Here's the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclop...mpressive_Feats

Now, i only linked to stuff i had posted the scans of, but if you guys dont mind i'd like to take some of the other stuff, or you guys could add it yourself...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 12:35 PM
yestinchong

I would definitely add in the scans/info about Cyke blasting a hole in Blob's shoulder as an entry in Wikipedia.

I'd also add some stuff in from his mini-series called Retribution where he takes on MasterMold and an army of drones.....and come to think about it, there's a great scene in X-Factor #14-ish where Cyke fights MM again all by himself (unless you count two cops with guns) as help. That issue really showed how tactical Scott was - he was literally going mad about Maddie at the time and was berating all sorts of people (including Prof X), but still came up with a way of saving one officer (the other one got zapped pretty quick before Cyclops could do anything) AND wiping out MM. Good stuff.

And nobody has mentioned or put in a scan of X-Factor 68-ish???

The issue where Scott plans for the team to be captured by Apocalypse and the Inhumans are there as back-up to pull off a surprise attack? In that issue not only does old Blue Lips praise Scott for his battlefield tactics (another multi-surface blast), he also gets decimated at the end by one hella big optic blast. When i think about it, i can't think of ANY one X-Man that has ever been able to do that to Apocalypse. Please correct me if i am wrong though.....

If only i had a scanner, would put them on myself....

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 09:40 AM
yestinchong is currently offline Click here to Send yestinchong a Private Message Find more posts by yestinchong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

I said it before and I'll say it again : Cyclops is a cool and underrated character.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 03:20 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

I've been thinking of a few other things that Scotty has done over the years.....once again, sorry i can't show the actual feats themselves, but at least i can remember the rough issues so people can have a look.

In the very same Proteus saga (just before Dark Phoenix saga starts in UXM) where Cyke gives Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler a "test-run", he also uses his optic blasts as a "pulse" to prevent Wolverine from splatting on the ground after being chucked off a cliff. A very inventive use of his blasts i think.

X-Factor issue 24-ish (the issue where the team have to fight a newly formed Archangel and the Horsemen) - Cyke demonstrates a remarkable agility - he flips off a statue to get into the air, lands on War's horse and then blasts directly into its mouth (he is aware that War's armour is immune to his blasts). While it certainly got rid of War, i also have to question Scott's tactics here.....he was gonna be a pancake on the fround if not for Jean's intervention....or maybe he knew she was there....

X-Men Unlimited:

Issue 1: shearing the Blackbird in half.....what a scene! Someone scan that one in if they can! Don't forget, when Sienna Blaze hit the Blackbird just before this, she didn't shear it in half, but took out it's engines (and other various systems). Cyke clean blows it in half. If i'm being objective, there is a proximity advantage though, but either way, that's an impressive feat, taking Storm (and arguably the Prof) by surprise.

Issue 40-something (ah, i can't remember): a very short story where Cyke is in the supermarket and is jumped by three mercenaries wearing rubyquartz armour (the backstory is that someone has paid a vast quantity of money to get hold of Scott's eyes). He quickly cottons on to them being immune and changes his tactics accordingly. One is taken out by a falling ceiling, the other is rendered useless as Scott blasts the right ingredients in the market to dissolve the armour (now that's impressive) and the final one.....well, i THINK what Cyke does is actually disintegrate the armour with his blasts anyway.....this issue also shows how he CAN fire off multiple blasts at the same time (he fires three thin beams at different parts of the merc's armour) - and this was with his glasses only.....imagine what he can do with his visor....

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 04:04 PM
yestinchong is currently offline Click here to Send yestinchong a Private Message Find more posts by yestinchong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

Some more....

Another X-Men Unlimited Issue (again, can't remember the number, sorry) that has been thrown around a lot in these forums: it's the one where Scott is walking home in the snow and gets jumped by 6 street thugs. he loses his specs, but instead of opening his eyes and laying waste to them, he fights them "blind". What is even more impressive while he does this feat is the fact that he is mentally keeping track of what movements he is making, so at the end of this very one-sided fight, he backtracks his stpes and picks up his specs. I think respect is most certainly due there.

More "blind" fighting: in his limited series where he fights Ullyses and that rather badluy named monster called the Visigon (oh dear), Scott takes a sword with him and does a good job of slicing and dicing the monster, all the while relying on his other senses (he was blinfolded again). This issue also demonstrates his athleticism again.

Initiative: as well as all the plans he as ever made in his time as leader, a few stand out to me. One is in the Onslaught saga. While Prof/Onslaught hybrid is gloating and toying with the X-Men (reverting Wolverine to a child like state, inducing claustrophobia in Storm), it's Cyke that takes the first proactive step and lets loose a blast in to Onslaught. Bear in mind that this is one of the most powerful telepaths out there - and yet still he comments on being surprised by Scott's attack. To me this shows:
a) Cyke's blasts are faster than thought itself
b) Cyke thinks pretty quick himself (although i think most people think at the same speed, it's their bodily reaction to the thought that dictates an action)
c) Both of the above
d) I'm plain wrong!

X-Men Volume 2, issue 7-8ish.....the X-Men help out Maverick and are breaking out of a building.....Cyke tells Beast to call the Blackbird into place, to which Hank's reply is something like, "Ok, but how will we get to it...?". He stops mid-sentence and says, "Oh", as Cyke is one step ahead and blasts a hole in the roof to allow for the Blackbird's entry....

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 04:14 PM
yestinchong

More!

There have always been examples of how hard Scott pushes himself in the Danger Room - more than any other X-Man.
- In the issue of UXM leading up to Onslaught being revealed, he is all on his own fighting off drones and (randomly) spiky balls falling out of the sky. It's a short scene, but the monologue by the writer tells us that Scott pushes himself more than anyone else...
- Another UXM, this time just before the Twelve climax.....Scott's once again staying up late and going through more training sequences....
- An older UXM, somewhere in the late 100s if i am not mistaken: Logan is waiting for Scott to finish a training session, and Cyke does this by firing off a multi-angled beam that hits the shut-off switch. Logan makes a backhanded compliment to this, but for the life of me i can't remember what it is. Actually, Scott has done this multi-bounce trick a number of times, people have posted pics on this thread already....
- In one of the more recent X-Men Unlimited issues (after it rebooted at #1 again), Havok is seen taking out a Sentinel in the Danger Room.....the Room, to Alex's disdain, tells him that the record for the quickest Sentinel destruction is held by his older bro....

Colossus Vs. Optic Blast: a big one for debate i think.....let's see.

In a very early issue of the All New, All Different team, a fake Angel removes Scott's visor and lets loose at Colossus. Although Colossus says it will not stop him, his internal thought bubble shows that Cyke's optic blasts are hurting/burning him.

In the Arcade/Murderworld run (UXM 120-ish), Colossus is brainwashed into thinking he is working for the Russian state as the "Proletarian". He fights Wolverine and Cyke.....and Scott is seen thinking to himself that if he went all out on Piotr he would "cripple him....or worse".

UXM 160-ish: a Brood infected Cyke develops a wider range of blast and lashes out at Colossus. Instant KO.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 04:45 PM
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

anybody can tell me how you get your images to show without having to click on the link?
You need to add [im.g] [/im.g] tags to the link. smile (remove the . in the tags)

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 04:46 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metalmanx
Illuminati Founder

Hey, yestinchong. Good job here with the Cyclops respect. I agree, he's very underrated. I've always loved Slim myself.

Kudos, dude. rock

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 05:55 PM
Metalmanx is currently offline Click here to Send Metalmanx a Private Message Find more posts by Metalmanx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

Yeah, it's probably a little obvious he's the X-Man i like the most. Let's see, a few more examples while i'm at work and it's relatively quiet...

Control:

- UXM: waaaay back in the first 5 issues or so (my money is on issue 5) Cyclops cuts a Birthday cake with his blasts for Jean (to which her comment was to say it was basically a bit of overkill).
- In another very early issue of UXM, where they meet and fight the Avengers for the first ever time (these are all re-issues that i own), Scott is asked by Prof to use his blasts to break the key mechanism in a huge bomb created by Lucifer. He has to create an extremely thin beam down the whole depth of this bomb (which happens be at least 20 feet high if memory serves me well) in order to knock out the one part....and does he do it? Haha, what do you think? The funny thing is that Prof really is talking crap in this scene, telling Cyke to adjust here, aim by a few degrees there.....hahah....
- Sabertooth: In The Red Zone: Scott pops a lock by pencil beaming his blasts, with glasses on (not visor).
- Cyclops Mini #1: he ruptures a car's petrol tank at the correct point to allow for it to explode. This is while he's doing a standing forward somersault....crazy.....

In answer to the "white" optic blast: that was an ANNUAL to UXM, one of the very early ones (ie maybe 4 or 5). Basically, while the X-Men are fighting on Arkon's world, Cyke effectively drains his powers out (if memory serves me well, this is actually the last time i have ever read about him draining his powers out through overuse - has he outgrown this now???). And because the solar power that allows him to channel the extradimensional energy better is NOT the same as Earth's, he can't recharge very quickly. Solution? He takes a full on lightning blast from Storm, uses that energy to catalyse the production of his optic blast energy, and thus produces this vaunteed "white beam". The monologue from the writer (Claremont?) suggests that Cyke being given that lightning bolt would be akin to "a fine petrol engine running on diesel". I know i am not fully right on that quote, but it was something like that.

As a side note, Arkon (who started off fighting the X-Men at the beginning of the issue) remarks that what Cyclops is doing was one of the most amazing things he had seen. Again, someone is gonna have to verify that for me, i don't have the issue at hand and my memory is crap.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 08:21 PM
yestinchong

Talking of Storm, i also read a lot about who would win in a fight between these two. The simple answer is the winner would be decided by the writer of the comic. However, these two have squared off in the past....

1. UXM # 155-ish: the issue where Scott finds out Corsair is his father and they face off the Sidri with Storm. Scott and O are having an impromptu game of patball - and by the looks of things, are very evenly matched. In the end, the score is tied, and Storm concedes that Scott is still "the best". What people can read into that (seeing as it was years ago) and the fact that it was only a game is entirely up to them.....but it does show how evenly matches these two are.

2. UXM #201: a Storm fan's favourite to quote when they want to lay a whole load of hate on Cyclops! Let's look at it a little more closely. Storm was powerless. Cyclops was using his lowest power beams. Storm could dodge his blasts, but my opinion (and it's only that) is that she was reading his intentions and dodging those. She isn't otherwise fast enough to dodge a blast. Scott was thinking about other things in that issue (Maddie for one) - and as we all know, it was revealed later that she was messing with his mind during that fight (this is where the Storm fans begin to call it "retconning".....ah well, it's all opinions). Storm "wins" the fight because she manages to remove his visor, thus rendering Scott unable to continue for fear of pulverising her. Would she do that in a real fight situation? I highly doubt it. If she did get that close to Cyclops, i am sure she would have opted for an incapacitating blow. Either way, there is balance in both arguments. Storm was powerless and still "won". Cyclops' wasn't going all out either and was affected by Maddies (a fact that Wolvering picks up on by saying something wasn't right).

3. UXM # 175: a Cyclops' fan's favourite to use when they want to lay a whole load of hate on Storm! Everyone knows the scene: the team think Scott is Dark Phoenix and so attack him, he has broken ribs already from Colossus, and he succeeds in nailing Ororo with a blast. Of note is that Storm is under MIND CONTROL and even Scott notes she hesitates a bit. Nevertheless, he tags her. My opinion is this - if a Storm fan uses the fact that Scott hit her because she was being influenced, then it is only fair to say the same when they have their battle in #201. Heh. So go figure.

4. Inferno Saga: a brief skirmish between the two. This time both Storm and Cyke are either:
a) Not under mind control by the influences of Maddie
b) Or they both are

(ie. As far as i am concerned, they are on equal ground)

Storm has her powers back at this point. Wolverine and Archangel are fighting (might i add that Logan's getting beaten IMO), and Cyclops tells Warren to back off while Storm does the same to Wolverine. They then shout at each other a bit, and then Storm opts to use a gust of wind to knock Cyclops back. Bear in mind, from the way that they were arguing with each other, i don't think they were necessarily going to come to blows, but Storm takes the initiative and attacks first. Despite this, and while in the air, Scott successfully tags Storm again.....

To me, this is the only real fair reflection on how these two might fight if all parameters were equal (ie. NO MIND CONTROL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!). Either they were both affected or they weren't....

5. X-Men volume 2, #65-ish: Scott, once again UNDER MIND CONTROL (can't these X-Men stop it???) atacks Storm, who promptly kicks his ass. no doubt about it.

So, these are the times the two main leaders of the X-Men have come to blows. A lotta mind control in there though.....who would win? My money is on Cyclops. I have a natural bias, but i feel that the nature of his powers is always more instantaneous than Storm's. People may quote that she can produce weather effects in the blink of an eye - but to that, i say that it has been written in the Dark Phoenix saga that Cyclops fires his beams at the speed of thought. So go figure. Are the writers engagign in hyperbole? Almost certainly. And when you rationalise and look at how their powers work, i still think Cyclops has a speed advantage with is powers, and thus takes the win.....

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 08:46 PM
yestinchong

More cool uses of his power.....

- Judgement War (a run of about 8 issues in the 50s of the first X-Factor run): about to be trodden on by a Celestial (and realising his optic blast ain't gonna do diddly-squat against something so powerful), Cyclops improvises and blasts a mini trench which he can fall into instead of being flattened by a Celestial foot.

- UXM #280 (or the issue or two just before the start of the Blue and Gold teams): Gambit gets nailed by Cyke's blast. Nothing special you might think, and don't forget Gambit was under control by the Shadow King - but it's the comment that Jubilee makes "Never seen anyone tag him before" that stands out.....Cyclops must be pretty damn accurate with those blasts.

- X-Men: The Hidden Years: similar to the feat he performed in X-Men #44 (where he makes a massive pathway through the mountain), Scott is seen doing this again to create an upwards sloping passageway for everyone to escape from a lava flow. This feat knocks him out though.....whereas something similar in Australia didn't - suggesting he has improved in energy output over the years? Who knows?

- UXM 144-ish: the title of the issue is "Cry D'spayre!". Cyclops improvises very very well to beat D'Spayre, who was previously intangible and able to make a person feel as fearful and "in despair" as they can - not only does Scott pull through that low (haha, i think he did this by jumping out of a window and getting out of proximity of the effects), he also draws on his past loss of Jean to attract D'spayre into physical form, thus allowing him to be rugby tackled by Scott.....

- Post Onslaught, UXM #335 or 336: in this issue we see Scott destroy his alarm clock, bounce a beam off a mirror twice (once to accidentally hit Beast, and again on purpose to hit Iceman). How he decides when he wants a beam to bounce insted of pulversise i have no idea, but he seems very capable either way. Best line in this issue comes from Hank - "I think you are going to have to consider blasting the tub".

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 11:00 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

kudos for simply writing that much... seriously...

and it never hurts to have another cyclops fan showing what they know...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 7th, 2006 08:58 PM
Accel

Originally posted by yestinchong
Issue 40-something (ah, i can't remember): a very short story where Cyke is in the supermarket and is jumped by three mercenaries wearing rubyquartz armour (the backstory is that someone has paid a vast quantity of money to get hold of Scott's eyes). He quickly cottons on to them being immune and changes his tactics accordingly. One is taken out by a falling ceiling, the other is rendered useless as Scott blasts the right ingredients in the market to dissolve the armour (now that's impressive) and the final one.....well, i THINK what Cyke does is actually disintegrate the armour with his blasts anyway.....this issue also shows how he CAN fire off multiple blasts at the same time (he fires three thin beams at different parts of the merc's armour) - and this was with his glasses only.....imagine what he can do with his visor....

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2006 02:16 AM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Accel

After being captured, Scott uses his intelligence to get out as painlessly as possible.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2006 02:16 AM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote