KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Coded Speak - The New PC?

Coded Speak - The New PC?
Started by: PVS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Coded Speak - The New PC?

-I'm sure not all homosexuals are peadophiles, but you cant deny that when a man rapes a little boy, he's a homosexual. (homosexuality and peadophilia are directly linked)

-many people died during ww2, jews were a fraction. im not denying that many were killed. (the jews were never systematically killed, they were just casualties of war)

-many blacks are decent people, but just look at them all looting and killing after katrina. they were out of control and i support the decision to shoot first and ask questions later. (black people who are not obedient should be shot, white people who have committed the same crime were simply 'looking for food')

im talking about coded speak. a recent mutation of the dreaded PC, which the right claims to never use, and is soley a tool of the left. but is it? i have found in reading and listening to those of the extreme right, that they weild the art of PC like a samurai master weilds a katana. a tool which allows them to not directly admit their beliefs, but at the same time not deny them in the least.

i find that when the left decides upon PC terms, its just that. terms. no hidden meaning, but rather a dillusion of true meaning. a clumsy attempt to sophisticate our terminology, when in fact it only tends to delete any meaning from the subject of the term. of coarse i refer to the ridiculous side of PC. the side which calls black people "african american" when i have yet to meet a single black person who is offended or affected in any way by being called "black". but is there really a change in message behind these terms? or just a load of unnecessary syllables and hyphens? its annoying, but i honestly dont feel threatened by this manner of control.

what prompted me to make this thread was a budding off-topic debate on mel gibson in the holocaust denier thread. mel weilds PC in a way which allows him to dodge the question of "do you believe the holocaust was real?" and escape without a scratch. (response was similar to the above paraphrased example).

i have seen a growing trend in coded speak over recent years. it seems commonplace in debates over homosexuality, terrorism, racism, and all other hot button issues. seek and ye shall find.

anyone care to elaborate/confirm/deny my observation?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 05:43 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Coded speak has always been around and all sides use it liberally.

This is my largest concern with media yesterday, today and tomorrow. You need a PHD to understand and pick it apart as all media has an agenda.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 05:48 PM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

I really don't think it matters; we all know what they mean. Its just like calling marijuana "weed" or "bud". Slang would be a fitting word for PC, but its slightly more "sophisticated" slang.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 05:48 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Perhaps but at least now they can deny ever saying it, and they can say it without pissing so many people off.

But Soleran is right on the first part, coded speak has always been going with popular people and or politics, they need to talk like that to make sure they don't piss anybody off.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 05:52 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Wouldn't the term "coded speak" be coded speak?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 06:37 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

ummm....no

thx

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 06:39 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm guessing you are talking about speaking out both sides of the mouth to a certain issue. Like insulting with a compliment.

I think it's human nature. Or at least the human nature involved with people who are a little more eager to be accepted. If you don't give a definite answer, you can defend or debate the merrits of your contribution to the conversation.

It's like saying: "I'm not a bad guy, I know lots of gays...I just think it's a sin and they will die repeadedly and forever in the fires of hell....but I don't have anything against them....so you can't call me anti gay or a homophobe" or the whole :I f*cking hate gay pride parades, why do they have to be so "in your face" about their sexuality?...I don't have a problem with queers, I just don't want to see them walking down the street like I HAVE to look at them" Well, most people here know I disagree with pride parades, but I undersatand the reason for them. If you don't wanna see them, then treat us like equal PEOPLE!

This is one reason I gravitate towards people who say what they think. Even the people I despise because of their POV, I appreciate more than the person who gives two answers to one question.

As for political correctness, it is a terrible result of a good effort. It's an example of good try, bad execution. The integration of society isn't going to come about due to changing the language we use to speak to each other, it will come from being educated to teh point where we no longer used certain words. There's no need to change the word 'n*gger' to "african american", when the person using it says it and thinks it with such disdain.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:18 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think PVS means "spin"

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:20 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I think PVS means "spin"

no i dont mean spin. i mean pretty much what capt fantastic described.
disguising one's true opinion and encoding it within your speaking, leaving the conclusion to be made by the listener. kind of an intuitive baiting for like minds,
while trying to stay under the radar of your opponents.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:23 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
no i dont mean spin. i mean pretty much what capt fantastic described.
disguising one's true opinion and encoding it within your speaking, leaving the conclusion to be made by the listener. kind of an intuitive baiting for like minds,
while trying to stay under the radar of your opponents.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this, it seems a bit far fetched, what sort of person would do that? confused

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:28 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

did you even read the initial post?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:35 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
did you even read the initial post?

? This seems silly confused Yes!

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:41 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually I agree totally with PVS. Coded speak is a bit like subtle flaming I guess!

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:45 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

at kmc, yes. but it goes far beyond simple internet debates.
its pretty much become protocol among those who's agenda is viewed
by the majority as less than savory. a way to influence those who you wish
to influence and dodge a question simultainiously.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:47 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Actually I agree totally with PVS. Coded speak is a bit like subtle flaming I guess!

I think he's talking about political correctness being used by people who don't subscribe to the idea of political correctness....A form of stating your disdain without pulling a kidrock and saying that blacks are stupid or something.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:48 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

and capt, i found your example to be the best one. i wish i thought of it.

and just so you know, i admire and respect you. so it pains me to know that baby jesus will cast you down into the fires of hell for all eternity.

which brings about the factor i left out. false sentiment. "my heart goes out to all the african american victims of katrina...but...(see initial example)" things of this nature

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 07:53 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Indeed, you are right. False sentiment, however, is something that I don't really get sick over. I don't do it myself, but I accept others do. False sentiment is almost an American way of life, and has been for some time. It's so deep rooted that people are actually expected to display it in regards to anything bad. I think that also lends itself to people being so self assured that they will recieve that false sentiment, that they post crap simply to get it. I broke up with my boyfriend, I lost a distant relative in a car accident, this guy at school is dying of cancer. Look, people, I hate it for you, but no one honestly cares.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:26 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
so it pains me to know that baby jesus will cast you down into the fires of hell for all eternity.

If that is the baby jesus' will, then I was never going to escape that fate.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:30 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Indeed, you are right. False sentiment, however, is something that I don't really get sick over. I don't do it myself, but I accept others do. False sentiment is almost an American way of life, and has been for some time. It's so deep rooted that people are actually expected to display it in regards to anything bad. I think that also lends itself to people being so self assured that they will recieve that false sentiment, that they post crap simply to get it. I broke up with my boyfriend, I lost a distant relative in a car accident, this guy at school is dying of cancer. Look, people, I hate it for you, but no one honestly cares.

well, im just pointing out part of the method. placate and console the opposition while driving a knife through their back.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:32 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
at kmc, yes. but it goes far beyond simple internet debates.
its pretty much become protocol among those who's agenda is viewed
by the majority as less than savory. a way to influence those who you wish
to influence and dodge a question simultainiously.

I agree with this also, your Mel Gibson example was pretty good

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:38 PM