KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Favourite Book Quotes

Favourite Book Quotes
Started by: Council#13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flameback
Pathology

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity."
- 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' by Phillip K. Dick

"I ain't no fraggin' hero. I'm th' main man. I booze.
I womanize. I swear. An' I beat th' living crap outta
anybody I fraggin' feel like."
- Lobo

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 05:39 PM
Flameback is currently offline Click here to Send Flameback a Private Message Find more posts by Flameback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miiih

Hope you don't mind that most of these are from nonfiction sources. The last work of fiction I finished completely was the play "Galileo" by Brecht and even -that- was for class. Everything else is half-eaten at the moment.

This I found in my chem book while I was studying. It made me laugh, which was surprising:

"While reading a textbook of chemistry, I came upon the statement, 'nitric acid reacts upon copper,' and I determined to see what this meant. Having located some nitric acid, I had only to learn what the words 'acts upon' meant. In the interest of knowledge I was even willing to sacrifice one of the few copper cents then in my possession. I put one of them on the table, opened a bottle labled 'nitric acid,' poured some of the liquid on the copper, and prepared to make an observation. But what was the wonderful thing which I beheld? The cent was already changed, and it was no small change either. A greenish blue liquid foamed and fumed over the cent and over the table. The air became colored dark red. How could I stop this? I tried by picking the cent up and throwing it out the window. I learned another fact; nitric acid reacts upon fingers. The pain led to another unpremeditated experiment. I drew my fingers across my trousers and discovered nitric acid reacts upon trousers. That was the most impressive experiment I have ever preformed." ~ Ira Remsen

This is from a letter written by Galileo to his friend Castelli. In it he's replying to a letter from Castelli, and elaborating on the point that the Copernican theory is compatible with the Bible. (Coincidentally, the letter was written on Dec 21st, which is my younger brother's birthday smile

". . . on the other hand, nature is inexorable and immutable, and she does not care at all whether or not her recondite reasons and modes of operation are revealed to human understanding, and so she never transgresses the terms of the laws imposed on her; therefore, whatever sensory experience places before our eyes or necessary demonstrations prove to us concerning natural effects should not in any way be called into question on account of scriptural passages whose words appear to have a different meaning . . ." ~ Galileo Galilei

(That's one massive run-on sentence, and it wasn't even the entire thing!)

Okay, okay. Let me give you something from fiction.

" When Mr Hosokowa put the CD in the player and sat down in his chair to listen, he did not go back to work that night. It was as if he was a boy in those high seats in Tokyo again, his father's hand large and warm around his own. He set the disc to play over and over, skipping impatiently past anything that was not her voice. It was soaring, that voice, warm and complicated, utterly fearless. How could it be at once controlled and so reckless? He called Kiyomi's [his daughter] name and she came and stood in the doorway of his study. She started to say something -- yes? or, what?or, sir? -- but before she could make out the words she heard that voice, the straight-haired woman from the picture. Her father didn't even say it, he simply gestured towards one speaker with his open hand. She was enormously pleased to have done something so right. The music praised her. Mr Hosokawa closed his eyes. He dreamed." ~ Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

I think I'm done for now. Good question, and enjoy your star.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2011 06:29 AM
miiih is currently offline Click here to Send miiih a Private Message Find more posts by miiih Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VickyRough

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2012 05:19 PM
VickyRough is currently offline Click here to Send VickyRough a Private Message Find more posts by VickyRough Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robby001

Your life is yours alone, Rise up and live it. Richard Rahl - Sword of Truth Books

"God created Arakis to train the faithful."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2012 05:35 AM
Robby001 is currently offline Click here to Send Robby001 a Private Message Find more posts by Robby001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

How wonderful it is that no one need wait before they start improving the world! Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank.

"Mr Bennet, Netherfield Park has been let at last!" Mrs Bennet, Pride and Prejudice."

Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... The Grandfather, The Princess Bride.

"And now a few words before we go off to our beds. Nitwit. Blubber. Oddment. Tweak." Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 11:22 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flameback
Pathology

“In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people, they have no lawyers.”
¯ Edgar Rice Burroughs, A Princess of Mars

“I do not believe that I am made of the stuff which constitutes heroes, because, in all of the hundreds of instances that my voluntary acts have placed me face to face with death, I cannot recall a single one where any alternative step to that I took occurred to me until many hours later.”
¯ Edgar Rice Burroughs, A Princess of Mars

“We are, all of us, creatures of habit, and when the seeeming necessity for schooling ourselves in new ways ceases to exist, we fall naturally and easily into the manner and customs which long usage has implanted ineradicably within us.”
¯ Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Beasts of Tarzan

"I ain't no fraggin' hero. I'm th' main man. I booze.
I womanize. I swear. An' I beat th' living crap outta
anybody I fraggin' feel like."
- Lobo

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 06:15 PM
Flameback is currently offline Click here to Send Flameback a Private Message Find more posts by Flameback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

From 'Troy: Shield of Thunder' by David Gemmell.

Odysseus: 'You could be the grandson of the king of Nubia. You could be heir to a vast kingdom, with golden palaces and a thousand concubines'

Bias: 'And if my prick had fingers it could scratch my a**e'

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2012 08:56 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maham

'We mortals, men and women, devour many a disappointment between breakfast and dinner-time; keep back the tears and look a little pale about the lips, and in answer to inquiries say, 'Oh, nothing!' Pride helps s; and pride is not a bad thing when it only urges us to hide our own hurt- not to hurt others.'
- Middlemarch, George Eliot

'...when a woman is not contradicted she has no motive for obstinacy in her absurdities.' - Middlemarch

Old Post Jun 4th, 2012 04:07 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Yurika

"Tomorrow is another day" I often use it to encourage my friends in trouble.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2012 09:26 AM
Yurika is currently offline Click here to Send Yurika a Private Message Find more posts by Yurika Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Obviously my sig quote, though since I'll change my quote in the future I'll post it here:

quote:
"Know whats here? M Soul. Ever heard o that? Th hell y have. Been shapin words t fit m soul. Never told y that before, did I? Thought I couldnt talk. I’ll tell y… Th form that’s burned int my soul is some twisted awful thing that crept in from a dream, a godam nightmare, and wont stay still unless I feed it. An it lives on words. Not beautiful words. God Almighty no. Misshapen, split-gut, tortured, twisted words…This whole damn bloated purple country feeds it cause its going down t hell in a holy avalanche of words."
-Kabnis's speech from Jean Toomer's Cane

quote:
"Rus! Rus! I see you, from my lovely enchanted remoteness I see you: a country of dinginess, and bleakness and dispersal; no arrogant wonders of nature crowned by the arrogant wonders of art appear within you to delight or terrify the eyes... So what is the incomprehensible secret force driving me towards you? Why do I constantly hear the echo of your mournful song as it is carried from the sea through your entire expanse?... And since you are without end yourself, is it not within you that a boundless thought will be born?"

-Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

quote:
"Dear Mrs., Mr., Miss, or Mr. and Mrs. Daneeka: Words cannot express the deep personal grief I experienced when your husband, son, father, or brother was killed, wounded, or reported missing in action."

-Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

quote:
"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano BuendÃ_a was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

-One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

quote:
"He believed he was safe."

-Tar Baby by Toni Morrison

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Dec 1st, 2012 at 05:24 AM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 05:12 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarlet Fox
Gun Slinger

"What? So I like your Grandma. Is that a Crime?" - Aphrodite
"You know I am beggining to think that somewhere deep inside you there is a nice Aphrodite" - Zoey
"Well don't get all warm and tingly. As soon as I find her, I'm going to drown her in the bathtub." - Aphrodite

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 10:37 PM
Scarlet Fox is currently offline Click here to Send Scarlet Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Scarlet Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote