KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » ufc/pride

ufc/pride
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (264): « First ... « 209 210 [211] 212 213 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by batdude123
MMA is a "what have you done for me lately" sport. I'm sorry, but I don't see a two fight win-streak over mediocre fighters as being worthy of a title shot. As far as Dos Santos beating up on the same guys; hey, if they've earned it, they've earned it. Throwing a variety of fighters at Dos Santos just for sheer variety's sake isn't something I agree with.

Come on now. That's ridiculous.

I think Werdum reaching to a position where most agree that he is top 5 UFC HW is to some extent earning it.

But after having won just once since losing spectacularly in case of Cain? Granted Cain won in spectacular fashion but Werdum's certainly done more to earn it than Cain and hasn't recently been beaten by the guy.

It's not for variety's sake, it's for the sake of keeping the champion active and producing fights for the fans at championship level. Ultimately there has to be some degree of variety, nobody wants to see a fighter fight someone much more than a few times really if ever. Mix it up with the top guys/rematches against them, as well as people who are on big streak/wins. Fabricio is good choice in this scenario.

UN...LIMITEEEEEEEED...VOTES!! THAT IS HER TRUE POWER!!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 01:28 AM
Darth Ray Park is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Ray Park a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ray Park Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by Darth Ray Park
I think Werdum reaching to a position where most agree that he is top 5 UFC HW is to some extent earning it.

But after having won just once since losing spectacularly in case of Cain? Granted Cain won in spectacular fashion but Werdum's certainly done more to earn it than Cain and hasn't recently been beaten by the guy.

It's not for variety's sake, it's for the sake of keeping the champion active and producing fights for the fans at championship level. Ultimately there has to be some degree of variety, nobody wants to see a fighter fight someone much more than a few times really if ever. Mix it up with the top guys/rematches against them, as well as people who are on big streak/wins. Fabricio is good choice in this scenario.

Which is why I said Cain/Werdum for a title eliminator.

Producing a variety of contenders for the champ is great... if they've earned it. At this point, Werdum hasn't beaten anybody in the UFC's top tier yet. As far as his prolific career and longevity are concerned? Basically, as far as his name power, yeah, Werdum is right up there. But, in a vacuum, having wins over two mid-tier guys doesn't mean you should get a title shot.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 01:36 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Which is why I said Cain/Werdum for a title eliminator.

But why should JDS have to wait for that? This kind of attitude simply means that we'll see the top level fighters fight less than they should, and could lead to ring rust. Less fights, less activity for champion and top level fighetrs. And I personally think it is mroe a matter of Champion being constantly tested, then a matter of someone having earned the shot. Ultimately the glory lies at being the champion,, not at getting to face himn. So if you beat him, great, you deserve to be champion. If you don't you have failed. But who gets that shot, should be based on the best/most deserving of people who are available to fight the champion as soon as the champ is ready. And yes, some variety will be needed to prevent constant rematches which nobody wants to see. So sometimes people you may feel haven't truly proven themselves will have to be called in in place of top guys who have recently lost to the champ. The champ should really have to fight two people before rematching a guy he beat, unless it was a super close fight.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 01:44 AM
Darth Ray Park is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Ray Park a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ray Park Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

It's not just at the champ's convenience. There are #1 contenders in this sport for a reason. Unless your name is Randy Couture, or you're filling in for somebody who's injured, title shots aren't something that are gifted. Dos Santos isn't just going to fight whatever chump they throw in front of him because he needs to fill some arbitrary quota. I'm not saying Werdum is a chump by any means, but your logic is a slippery slope. The champ is at the top of the mountain, and the onus is on the guy challenging him to climb up the ladder to fight him.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 02:15 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Everyone has to climb up the ladder to get anywhere anyway. All climbing up the ladder, and you have the peopl that have climbed the furthest. Give the person who is ready and has climbed the furthest the chance, assuming no recent and kind of one sided losses to the champ already. Simple. I'm not saying we throw someone who isn't at least top 15 up against the champ, and coming off at least a win (would need a win streak at lower end of that I'm thinking).

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 02:45 AM
StyleTime

Which is my point. It doesn't matter that Wanderlai is weight class below him.

Disagree. He's much better than Demian Maia who was a long time top 10 MW. He's also better than Frank Mir who's a two time HW champ and has been top HW for a very long time now. Naturally BJJ guys often fight at disadvantage to striking or wrestling guys, but Werdum's striking really isn;t that bad that combined with his elite Jits makes him a very impressive fighter imo.

Are you going to deny that his TK down defence is a massive hole in his game that any elite MMA wrestler should be able to exploit? I don't care that he doesn't possess great offensive wrestling, but that he lacks great TK defence means that his ability to keep the fight where he's best is diminished, and while he is dangerous on the ground he's hardly an elite threat from that position. Compare that to Machida, JDS, Aldo etc who have great stand up, but are also very, very good at keeping the fight that way. If Anderson had faced more elite MMA wrestlers, his record wouldn't be half as good. If someone like Rashad dropped down he would probably be champion.

Compare him to Georges St-Pierre for example. His striking is arguably best in division, he outstruck BJ Penn and most of the people who have stood with him, and anybody that could even possibly threaten him with that he could likely just take down and dominate them on the ground.

There are several HW who can match Silva's technicality(which isn't that high anyway), so I still say the match is significant. If we're being honest, Werdum still had the reach advantage too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZ_2cGK8Kc

I don't think Werdum is better than Maia. Maia has outgrappled people outside his weight class, like Gonzaga. Even still, I think Maia's old ranking was due to MW being a little less deep back then. He's rarely ranked top 10 now, and Werdum wouldn't be either. Frank Mir is a HW, and that was the division I said isn't as talented as the others. I also think Mir could beat Werdum.

I'm not denying his lack of wrestling. I'm saying it doesn't matter because he is winning. If Chael beats him with wrestling, then I'll admit you're on to something. Until then, he's a candidate for GOAT.
Come on now. That's ridiculous.

Nope. 30.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jun 28th, 2012 at 04:30 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2012 04:16 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I'm saying it doesn't matter because he is winning.

Against people who are stylistically good matchups for him, and most people agree that the Sonnen fight was a fluke.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2012 09:25 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Against people who are stylistically good matchups for him, and most people agree that the Sonnen fight was a fluke.

You''re either going to be very right and look well knowledge in the area or you're going to look like a complete *******, if Silva beats his ass into the ground, as Silva's claiming. Even if it's just to sell tickets.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 28th, 2012 11:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

We will see in 8 days. My money's on Chael by at least 50-45.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2012 12:24 AM
Bouboumaster

GSP is back at 100% and he's already training. Hope he gets back and continue his incredible strike of victories in aguarbly the weight class with the deepest talent pool.
So that someday with see George "Rush" St-Pierre vs Rory "Ares" McDonald.

As for Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva: Last time they fought, Sonnen was on the "Juice", like big time. If he's clean this time, Silva will destroy him.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2012 03:04 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think they already said that they'd never fight eachother.

And Sonnen was fine last time his testosterone levels were normal what was off was his testosterone to estrogen ratio which the commision falsely penalised him for. Chael has medical condition where has has low levels of natural testosteropne so he uses testosterone replacement therapy to get it to normal levels. That's it.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2012 03:18 PM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Don't distort the common misconceptions with facts and knowledge, sir. HE WAS ON TEH ROIDZ!!!111

Old Post Jun 29th, 2012 03:22 PM
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is what Robtard listens to when he watches Adnerson Silva fight.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2012 12:01 AM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 11:37 PM
StyleTime

Chael: "I thought if you tapped, it ended the round. I did not know that the contest as a whole would come to a conclusion." laughing out loud

Chael has grown on me. I believe that Anderson will destroy him this time around, but I like the humor Chael brings to this sport. Once you realize he's just joking, it's kinda hard to hate him.

On a side note, it's unfortunate that Darth Ray got banned. He did generate some discussion, if nothing else.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 4th, 2012 at 01:08 AM

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 12:58 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Chael "the Ultimate Male" Sonnen is a God damn legend. He's the best. Anybody who still takes his persona seriously is a f*cking moron.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 01:19 AM
I-Drop
Privateer

Hey, remember when I-Drop tried arguing that Clay Guida was an exciting fighter? Good times.
laughing out loud Somebody missed me. I remember. We were debating about Guida & Fail. Numbers don't lie tho. How many times has he been in FOTN? How many times has Fail? Guida went for a decision & I'm glad he lost as I've said elsewhere. Let's not be fools tho. Guida is known for being exciting & is popular because of it. This is one fight folks. How ya'll been?

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 06:41 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by StyleTime

On a side note, it's unfortunate that Darth Ray got banned. He did generate some discussion, if nothing else.

Agreed, but IMO, he did it on purpose, he doesn't want to be using that account when Silva wrecks Sonnen for a second time and comes off looking like a complete *******.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 5th, 2012 at 09:52 PM

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 09:46 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Robtard
Agreed, but IMO, he did it on purpose, he doesn't want to be using that account when Silva wrecks Sonnen for a second time and comes off looking like a complete *******.

You are already thinking ahead to Silva v Sonnen III? Because Sonnen's going to grind out a decision this week. evil face

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 03:04 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vaderdeljisung
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StyleTime
Chael: "I thought if you tapped, it ended the round. I did not know that the contest as a whole would come to a conclusion." laughing out loud

Chael has grown on me. I believe that Anderson will destroy him this time around, but I like the humor Chael brings to this sport. Once you realize he's just joking, it's kinda hard to hate him.

I'm sure eh'ss still aroudn somewhere... in spirit at least. big grin

Old Post Jul 7th, 2012 07:45 PM
vaderdeljisung is currently offline Click here to Send vaderdeljisung a Private Message Find more posts by vaderdeljisung Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote