KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » ufc/pride

ufc/pride
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (264): « First ... « 236 237 [238] 239 240 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

UFC have been making ridiculous cuts and I hope it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Okami, Shields and Fitch were all for sure top 10 in their divisions when they got cut, and I'm sure there are others I can't recall right this second.

I kind of want there to be another promotion that rivals the UFC again, just like back when we had Pride.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 18th, 2014 06:49 PM
Astor Ebligis is currently offline Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Shields got cut? I-Drop must be throwing a parade right now. laughing out loud

I need to go look at who else has been dropped when I get a chance. Yeah, I do kinda want another big organization back. If only for some different presentations. The "deadly spartancagebloodsportrawrman" image of the UFC gets old. On the plus side, it's easier to get the fights we want to see when 1 organization is the "big" one.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2014 07:27 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

That is true. But in some ways, it's nice to sometimes have a bit of mystery as to who's really the best between the champs from the two different promotions, and the idea that it could happen, or probably will happen, gives you something to look forward to. And the anticipation builds up the longer it is, and the more likely it looks like it's going to happen, and the more dominant each champ is over their respective divisions at each promotion.

It's similar to superfights between fighters that are only ever separated by a single division. Just look at GSP and Anderson for example. Is it a shame that we never got to see them fight? Absolutely. On the other hand, the prospect of the two of them fighting was something that always kept you excited, and in many ways having two separate promotions is just another way of having those hypothetical superfights.

And sometimes they do happen.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 18th, 2014 07:57 PM
Astor Ebligis is currently offline Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also, totally surprised Kennedy was able to do that to Bisping. Thought Bisping's defensive grappling would be too good for that.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 18th, 2014 07:59 PM
COG Veteran
Teh GrOovY 1

I knew Browne was screwed after the second round ended. Verdum had a tough fight tho.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2014 04:25 AM
COG Veteran is currently offline Click here to Send COG Veteran a Private Message Find more posts by COG Veteran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Totally shocked Werdum was able to do that to Browne; I really thought Browne would be too powerful and athletic for him and finish him with strikes. Werdum seriously impressed with his stirking, and I'm now thinking a fight between him and Cain is closer than I originally thought. Though Cain more than likely still destroys him, he's simply way too fast, powerful and mixes things up so well, and his wrestling and GnP can totally overpower Werdum's BJJ imo if he takes him down and he also has the option of pushing him up against the cage and beating him up there as well. Browne on the other hand I could envision possibly pulling off the upset, either by elbowing Cain to death if he takes him down, or by landing a shot that hurts Cain while they're standing.

Werdum's definitely gotta be one of my favourite fighters at HW though, his trolling is literally world class. Glad he beat Browne the way he did as well, not a fan of his cocky attitude and thinking he's a lot better than he actually is.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 21st, 2014 04:59 PM
StyleTime

Still don't understand how you liked Werdum before this fight, but we've already had that discussion lol.

In all honesty, I think Browne's striking is a wee bit overstated. He's not bad any means(he's in the UFC afterall), but his power is huge, which helps him a lot.

And yeah, Kennedy is a beast, but bless him if he ever loses. With fights like that, he'll be cut just like Shields was. The crowd simply doesn't like that smothering wrestler style.

Any thoughts on the women? Miesha took Carmouche like I thought, although Carmouche made it a hell of a fight. Miesha was too relaxed in the first round. Anyways, I am looking forward to Davis vs Rousey. Davis gets overlooked a lot, but she's shown better striking than Ronda, and actually has a ground game that could thwart Ronda's armbars. Of course, Ronda will totally control the transitions and probably wind up in whatever position she so chooses. Not saying Alexis will definitely win, but I think Ronda will be forced to display far more of her judo skills than we usually see.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 24th, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Old Post Apr 24th, 2014 11:44 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Still don't understand how you liked Werdum before this fight, but we've already had that discussion lol.

I don't even mean as a fighter but as a person. His troll exploits are the stuff of legends. Plus, he does have world class BJJ and pretty decent striking. What he did to Browne and Nelson was pretty damn impressive.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 25th, 2014 08:35 PM
StyleTime

I expected Jones to beat Glover(didn't everybody?), but I didn't expect Jones to dominate the close range fight so hard. His head movement is much improved, and I guess the Gustafsson fight was an eye opener for him.

Rumble basically destroyed Phil Davis, so good stuff. Rumble/Jones is likely to happen in the future so what is y'alls take on it? Rumble is beast mode, but I worry that Jones could just stand on the outside and poke him to death.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2014 05:58 PM
BruhMan
World Champion

Yo I flipped this on just to check it out and was shocked to see my dude Anthony "Rumble" Johnson back. I always knew that dude should be competing at the highest level and that he should have been middleweight or Light heavy for a long time. Really glad to see him admit his mistakes and grow as a fighter. Dude was my favorite up and comer he's always been a beast, now he's a power player in the LHW division.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2014 09:03 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

As for Jones/Rumble, Rumble has looked into himself and had his Gohan moment where he became the beast we all knew he was. I still don't know if it's enough to top Jones who possesses so many tools, but Rumble always has a shot with that instant fight ending KO power.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2014 09:07 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
I don't even mean as a fighter but as a person. His troll exploits are the stuff of legends. Plus, he does have world class BJJ and pretty decent striking. What he did to Browne and Nelson was pretty damn impressive.

Yup. I gotta say, as a semi spectator and former wrestler and bjj guy, the dude is a wily beast. Werdum is refining his technique but I really think Cain is gonna get a decision.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2014 10:18 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep

Originally posted by JayDaDon
As for Jones/Rumble, Rumble has looked into himself and had his Gohan moment where he became the beast we all knew he was. I still don't know if it's enough to top Jones who possesses so many tools, but Rumble always has a shot with that instant fight ending KO power.

I hear you. Ill watch the fight but I really doubt Johnson is the guy that's gonna ko Jones.

Last edited by meep-meep on Apr 28th, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2014 10:23 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Daniel Cormier is the man to dethrone Jones imo. Jones' only shot at beating him is keeping the fight at range and out pointing him, as he has a significant reach advantage and is clearly very skilled at fighting from distance. But Cormier has the wrestling, speed and power to close the distance and either dominate Jones or knock him out, and Jones doesn't really threaten guys closing the distance with crazy ko power or anything so I think Cormier will be able to do it.

Gus still has a chance, but sadly I think their last fight was really the best fight Gus was ever going to have, and that the next time they fight, Jones will fight more his kind of fight, and do something similar to what he did to Glover in getting up close and using his wrestling to control him as he lands strikes.

Certainly one of them will beat him if the other doesn't imo.

I knew Rumble was going to do that to Phil Davis and was simply a terrible matchup for him, being such a powerful wrestler. Possibly Jones' third biggest threat, simply because of his wrestling and power, though Rashad and Glover and probably on par with him in that sense.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 28th, 2014 12:06 PM
meep-meep

I agree that Cormier is probably Jones' biggest challenge. Even just the wrestling matchup itself would be interesting. I dont think Cormier would ragdoll him. And dont forget those freakin elbows of Jones.

Jones definitely got his hands full in that division though.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2014 05:41 PM
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

edit

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post May 10th, 2014 11:00 PM
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

God Chandler's so good. Would love to see him and Josh Thomson go at it.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post May 18th, 2014 03:54 AM
Insomniatric
The Spider

Boring main event at Bellator 120.

Michael Page is awesome though.

Sig and Avatar made by Steverules_2 (Thank you!)

Old Post May 20th, 2014 10:59 PM
Insomniatric is currently offline Click here to Send Insomniatric a Private Message Find more posts by Insomniatric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
God Chandler's so good. Would love to see him and Josh Thomson go at it.

Might have spoken too soon...

Still think he should have got the decision, and he probably overlooked Brooks more than anything else.

Old Post May 24th, 2014 12:13 AM
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jesus quite possibly the biggest upset in MMA history, at that high a level at least... TJ literally made Barao look like he didn't belong in the same cage as him.

Cormier continues to prove how much of a beast he is. The slam followed by the trip in the third round was a thing of beauty.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post May 26th, 2014 05:31 AM