KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » ufc/pride

ufc/pride
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (264): « First ... « 240 241 [242] 243 244 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

It's interesting that you brought up the HW division, because many think Jones needs to be fighting there instead. I have no idea what his walking weight is, but I saw him and Gustaffson standing next to Cain one time, and they actually looked larger lol.

Skill wise I think Jones could do well at HW, but the size issue remains. Some HWs, like Overeem, have to cut to make 265. These dudes are huge. I don't think Jones would be champ there, though we will probably never have the opportunity to see.

He did express interest in fighting at HW once though, so maybe he'll do an Anderson Silva and take a couple of fights outside of his division.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jan 7th, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2015 12:18 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KuRuPT Thanosi

If anybody watched PRIDE at its peak they would know it was superior to UFC then and now. It was on another level and way ahead of its time.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2015 06:57 PM
KuRuPT Thanosi is currently offline Click here to Send KuRuPT Thanosi a Private Message Find more posts by KuRuPT Thanosi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I was a major PRIDE fanboy back in the day. We had many Pride fans here, but they've all been mia for a while unfortunately.

It wasn't just the fighters either. The events had better atmosphere. As corny as it sounds, there was a certaic magic to it all.

I watch UFC, but I still don't like the cage and the "rawr we're just so hardcore badass underground" image they want to keep. Also, the shitty nu-metal they play and that terrible pre-fight music with the wanna be latin chorus chanting.

Cliche is a ****.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jan 14th, 2015 at 06:07 AM

Old Post Jan 14th, 2015 06:04 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

i'm not really a fan of MMA at the moment but, word, Pride was awesome! lots of memorable matches. Wanderlei vs Quinton, Quinton vs Chuck liddell, Sakuraba vs Carlos Newton (which to me is still the best display of technical brilliance.)

Old Post Jan 17th, 2015 12:30 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I miss the Grand Prix. Wish we could have tournament format here in the U.S.

Those were good matches. One of my favorites is Shogun destroying Arona. It wasn't the most technical or evenly matched fight, but Arona was really hated at the time. It was just great seeing him get beat up.

Remember when Crocop vs Fedor was the most anticipated fight in MMA? Whole different world back then.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2015 05:25 PM
StyleTime

Sooo.....Nick Diaz vs Anderson Silva.

Discuss.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 04:54 AM
appletonia
major studmuffin

Man Rumble is an absolute beast. I'm starting to think it's unwise to pick against Jones, but if anybody looks like they have a shot at just blasting him out of nowhere it's Rumble. Mousasi also with a spectacular performance against Hendo, would love to see a fight between him and Anderson depending on how Anderson looks against Diaz.

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 10:39 PM
appletonia is currently offline Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I am really surprised at the Rumble outcome. His striking is so....dare I say it, wild, that I can't believe he got that counter on Gustaffson. Surprised I haven't heard any "it was a fluke" comments yet.

I know we've said this before, after all Rashad has power too, but I think Rumble has a solid shot of blasting Jones. Rumble is outright more powerful, very fast, and Jones doesn't have one-shot KO power to return with.

On the other hand, Jones has improved his wrestling and strength if the DC fight is any indicator. He's also got Greg Jackson in his corner.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jan 28th, 2015 at 04:49 AM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 04:42 AM
YFZ 350

I hope Silva looses. I wonder if he's gonna be gun shy as far as using his leg?

"The 350 twin is still the king of the dunes"

Old Post Jan 31st, 2015 12:31 AM
YFZ 350 is currently offline Click here to Send YFZ 350 a Private Message Find more posts by YFZ 350 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Well, Silva won. His leg seems back to 100% as he was kicking with it pretty hard. Even threw in some spin kicks. I've never seen Nick so tentative around someone. I mean, he did his usual shenanigans, but in a much smaller amount than normal. He was a good sport afterwards though.

Silva cried after the decision. I guess this comeback meant a lot to him?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2015 10:32 AM
StyleTime

Really surprised there is so little talk about Silva's return. Not even a troll comment anyone?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2015 03:24 AM
final_blow
Beneath the surface

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
....Arona was really hated at the time. It was just great seeing him get beat up.

Not an avid fan of ring or cage fighting, but watching Arona pound Sakuraba probably turned off a lot of casual fans of MMA.

Arona had a lot of willpower and he performed as if he was fighting in an alley.

OTOH, Jake Butler (a light HW in OneFC) displays the same intensity as Arona. That is a match I'd like to see, however, Arona's ACL injuries keep him away from the ring.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 01:21 AM
final_blow is currently offline Click here to Send final_blow a Private Message Find more posts by final_blow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Man Benson looked absolutely awesome, really interested to see how far he can go at WW.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 04:56 PM
appletonia is currently offline Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Ronda finished Cat in 14 seconds. Cat was super aggressive for some reason and even willingly took the fight to the ground, where she obviously is at a disadvantage.

Apart from a rematch with Cat, Holly Holm is basically the only woman left to fight Ronda.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2015 02:52 PM
StyleTime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Fc2iEncOA

Jones and Rumble prank Dana at the staredowns. Weidman makes a friendly joke about Vitor too.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2015 03:21 PM
StyleTime

Well, this is huge news.

Jon Jones has been stripped of his LHW belt, and suspended indefinitely from the UFC for his alleged involvement in a hit-and-run accident that left a pregant woman with a broken arm.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/05/dana-w...the-camels-back

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 08:31 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Conor or Mendez, who we got?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jul 9th, 2015 10:45 PM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Chad. He's grown into a very good striker and is arguably the hardest hitter in the division. He's more explosive than Conor, he's very quick at closing the distance to find his striking range and is used to fighting guys who possess a reach advantage against him. He mixes his takedowns with his striking very well, and Conor would most likely be less inclined to use much of his kicking game in fear of the takedown. He's got the more proven submission game, and would have the advantage in the tight scrambles on the feet and in the clinch as well. And the closer the distance of the striking exchanges, the more likely we'll see Chad hurt him with a big punch, and possibly knock him out or finish him with a submission or TKO.

I'm not going to also say that Chad would definitely be able to take and hold him down with ease as we really don't know how good Conor's defensive wrestling is in that area, but it's certainly a possibility and something that's happened to a lot of great strikers in the UFC, and as it stands Conor's defensive wrestling is basically untested, and similarly we don't really know quite how much his striking will be inhibited by the fear of the takedown. He's literally going from never having fought a wrestler, to fighting possibly the best wrestler in MMA today.

Conor cuts an absolutely huge amount of weight as well and we haven't seen whether he'll have the cardio to perform in the championship rounds either if the fight gets there. We also haven't really seen him face adversity in the UFC, and don't know how he'll handle getting hit with big shots or being smothered on the ground.

And as Chad has been pointing out, he hasn't had to deal with an entire training camp of trash talk with Conor, which is something that seems to mentally break a lot of fighters going into the fight. And while he indeed hasn't had a full training camp, it is true, and as Chad's been saying, that often fighters overtrain themselves and are usually physically ready a few weeks into it. And Conor has been training for a compeltely different kind of fighter, and now has to completely change his gameplan against a guy who is probably the worst stylistic matchup for him in the division.

For Conor to win, he has to keep the fight standing and at his range, and if he manages to do that he'll probably finish Chad pretty easily (and Conor is similarly a very hard hitter and certainly has as good a puncher's chance as one might hope for - Chad does also get hit, not as much as Conor but Aldo was able to repeatedly rock him in their second fight, and of course KO'd him in their first), but I just don't see that happening. In every other position, Chad has the advantage imo, and he's got the explosiveness, vastly improved movement, experience with successfully combating superior reach and the wrestling to dictate the position of the fight and make it very uncomfortable for Conor.

Edit - not that I don't have huge respect for Conor's skills however. I think that right this second, he may very well be the best striker in MMA. He's simply going up against one of the best, most athletic and most well rounded fighters in MMA today (ever, even), and has an unproven defensive wrestling game. I have him at #4 in my rankings (Aldo, Mendes and Edgar being the top 3). I'd probably pick him over Lamas for example, who's a spectacular fighter.

Last edited by appletonia on Jul 10th, 2015 at 06:16 PM

Old Post Jul 10th, 2015 06:09 PM
appletonia
major studmuffin

quote:
And while he indeed hasn't had a full training camp, it is true, and as Chad's been saying, that often fighters overtrain themselves and are usually physically ready a few weeks into it.

This might have been wishful thinking. While Chad was a little tentative on the feet I found, he was definitely doing his thing with the wrestling, but simply didn't have the cardio to last long enough. The main thing the fight proved is that Conor has a pretty mediocre defensive wrestling game imo. You could probably argue that somebody like Clay Guida has a good chance to beat him based off of that fight. Though major props to that guy's chin, he was taking some serious bombs and didn't really look hurt once in the entire fight.

I think a full training camp Mendes would have probably taken it, and I think that Frankie Edgar is absolutely the toughest matchup out there for him. He's not got Mendes's power, but he's got the wrestling, and on top of that he is very active and moves very well, practically impossible to put away, the best cardio in the division, and the mental toughness and fight iq of a champ.

I think Aldo probably has the wrestling to deal with him as well, if he starts getting beaten up on the feet.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 04:16 PM
StyleTime

I too wonder if Chad's loss was due to the short notice of the fight. I don't think I've seen him gas like that before, and his wrestling took over that fight. Conor didn't have much of an answer for it. On a side note, I think if Mendes was taller, he could be champ lol. Dude is so damn short. I like him though.

Michelle Waterson looked fantastic last night too. Her armbar struggle was epic, and I thought she was done. Glad to see she came back and dominated. Her wrestling is much stronger than people think it is, and she was clearly the superior striker. Overall, she straight up outfought Angela at every range.

Lawler vs Macdonald was a fun fight. Once the feeling out was done, it went off the rails in the best way possible. I smell a third fight in the works for them. Lawler is one of those fighters that finds his peak later in life. He is so much better now in his 30's than he ever was in the past.
quote: (post)
Originally posted by appletonia
I think Aldo probably has the wrestling to deal with him as well, if he starts getting beaten up on the feet.

Honestly, I think Aldo's leg kicks are going to shred Ian. Without his mobility, I see Ian going down hard.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 13th, 2015 at 05:20 PM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2015 05:10 PM