KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » ufc/pride

ufc/pride
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (264): « First ... « 249 250 [251] 252 253 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Actually just rewatched both fights and Coleman was completely dominated, I must be getting old.

thumb up Mark was hanging on for dear life, especially in the second fight.
Originally posted by S W LeGenD
In their primes and by today's standards, this is how I would have it personally:

1. Cain
2. Stipe
3. JDS
4. Werdum
5. Fedor
6. Big Nog
7. Overeem
8. Brock Lesnar
9. Mark Hunt
10. Cro Cop

It's difficult to rank sometimes, due to weird A>B>C matchups, but what's your reasoning for JDS so far above Overeem?
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn

8. Brock Lesnar- What could've been. If not for illness I have no doubt Brock at worst would've been number 3 all time.

Number 3? He was a gifted athlete for doing what he did, but Cain/Overeem would still beat him. There's just too many guys we never saw him face. I'd wager on guys like Werdum, or other good guard players submitting him. Stipe would probably lay him out cold. And Shane got cheated. That match would have been called for anyone else. The diverticulitis may have played a role, but it's also hard to say he'd jump to number 3 GOAT with the skills he showed.

Let's also not forget Brock was likely juicing the whole time.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 18th, 2017 at 09:00 PM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2017 08:45 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Overeem's losses hold him back from being too high up in my list personally. He lost to Rothwell, Travis Browne and Bigfoot Silva, none of whom you'd really say are great, and when he was supposed to be at his best. His offence is terrific, but he's shown a lot of defensive holes in his game.

JDS was clearly no longer the same fighter after the two Cain beatings, and yet he still knocked out Mark Hunt between those two fights, and beat Stipe in a close fight as well. True, Stipe has improved since but it's still a great win, considering he's no longer at his best. Prior to those Cain fights he had amassed one of the best resumes ever at HW, and only ever lost once early in his career by submission. He was a really explosive and powerful striker, had an iron chin and awesome TDD. In his prime I think he beats every fighter except for Cain and Stipe.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2017 01:01 AM
GM_Nebaris is currently offline Click here to Send GM_Nebaris a Private Message Find more posts by GM_Nebaris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
2. Stipe- Stipe outside of arguably JDS( Who I think is shot) and Ubereem who is very hard to gauge has no great victories.

He also beat Werdum and Mark Hunt.

quote:
9. Mark Hunt- Too high. Hunt is solidly outside of the top 10.

Nah. Even as an older fighter Mark Hunt still retained a lot of what made him a world class striker in his striking prime (hand speed, power in both his arms and legs, iron chin, general technique, experience), and had finally obtained a really solid defensive grappling game, being very difficult to take down and not bad on the ground either. He's better than the likes of Josh Barnett or Shane Carwin.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2017 01:11 AM
GM_Nebaris is currently offline Click here to Send GM_Nebaris a Private Message Find more posts by GM_Nebaris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

Originally posted by S W LeGenD
He also beat Werdum and Mark Hunt.

Nah. Even as an older fighter Mark Hunt still retained a lot of what made him a world class striker in his striking prime (hand speed, power in both his arms and legs, iron chin, general technique, experience), and had finally obtained a really solid defensive grappling game, being very difficult to take down and not bad on the ground either. He's better than the likes of Josh Barnett or Shane Carwin.

Barnett has an infinitely better resume than Hunt.

I'd place Carwin above Hunt as well.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2017 01:56 AM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Jones tested positive for steroids. Details still coming out, but I already feel bad for DC. His rivalry ends with a vicious KO, then we find out Jones was juicing.

Sucks too that this will probably put the kibosh on a potential Gustaffson/Jones rematch or Jones/Brock superfight.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 05:10 AM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:08 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

Originally posted by StyleTime
Jones tested positive for steroids. Details still coming out, but I already feel bad for DC. His rivalry ends with a vicious KO, then we find out Jones was juicing.

Sucks too that this will probably put the kibosh on a potential Gustaffson/Jones rematch or Jones/Brock superfight.

I don't believe Jones was guilty the first time and I ABSOLUTELY don't believe he is guilty now.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:12 AM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I don't know man. Anything is possible, but it's not like Jones hasn't screwed up before.

That might explain the OSP performance...

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 12:25 AM
StyleTime

Anyone else kinda hoping Conor surprises us and knocks Floyd's head off?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 03:35 AM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, not really, I have a great deal of respect for both sports but they are different. Conor did better than expected.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 05:05 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

It's not about disrespect, but about seeing the greatest sports upset in history. Conor would officially ascend to godhood had he done that.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 05:51 AM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's not about disrespect, but about seeing the greatest sports upset in history. Conor would officially ascend to godhood had he done that.
Yeah, I can't help wondering if Mayweather is so skilled he controlled how long the fight would go.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 06:15 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Personally no. I love seeing Floyd win because I love how he triggers racists and people who hold it against him for playing smart rather then treating boding like a Bloodsport.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 07:19 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I like triggering Stormfront as much as the next guy, but it's more fun when Andre Ward or Demetrius Johnson do it, since they're actually good guys.

Floyd is a legit violent criminal. Conor is just obnoxious. World of difference.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 27th, 2017 at 04:10 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 04:02 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Oh, you'll hear no argument from me there. Floyd is the definition of a garbage human being- cartoon villain tier.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 09:12 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

So, GSP/Bisping thoughts?

I think it's the best possible matchup for GSP to try this stunt on, but I also think GSP got out at the exact right moment. Few people retire before their inevitable decline, and I'd hate to see him get lit the **** up. Bisping is the larger guy, having been a legit contender at LHW. GSP walks around at like 190ish. I could see his takedown ability being severely diminished here, and Bisping can knock out Luke Rockhold under the right circumstances, as we saw. GSP became less of a striker during his run, and won't absorb damage as well being smaller the guy. Bisping is pretty technical as a kickboxer and has strong defensive wrestling.

I would love to be wrong. GSP is a legend and one of my favorites, but I don't see this going well for him.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2017 05:39 PM
LordofBrooklyn

So, GSP/Bisping thoughts?

I think it's the best possible matchup for GSP to try this stunt on, but I also think GSP got out at the exact right moment. Few people retire before their inevitable decline, and I'd hate to see him get lit the **** up. Bisping is the larger guy, having been a legit contender at LHW. GSP walks around at like 190ish. I could see his takedown ability being severely diminished here, and Bisping can knock out Luke Rockhold under the right circumstances, as we saw. GSP became less of a striker during his run, and won't absorb damage as well being smaller the guy. Bisping is pretty technical as a kickboxer and has strong defensive wrestling.

I would love to be wrong. GSP is a legend and one of my favorites, but I don't see this going well for him.

GSP WINS!

Bisping doesn't have greatness in him. Henderson had him in the retirement match and just ran out of gas. I think GSP has enough greatness left to beat Bisping.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 01:09 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Holy mother f***ing hell, what a finish by Mighty Mouse.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 04:05 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

^ Bandwagonning at its finest, lol

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 10:22 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 01:09 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

UFC 217 was the best MMA event I've seen this year.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Nov 7th, 2017 02:44 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote