KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » ufc/pride

ufc/pride
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (264): « First ... « 253 254 [255] 256 257 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

Rose Namajunas vs Jessica Andrade : I picked Rose to win. I figured her length, movement, speed, and technique would be too much on the feet. We already saw how Joanna broke down Jessica's striking, and Rose is definitely Joanna's caliber in MMA striking. Grappling wise, I figured Rose's ability to instantly threaten submissions would neutralize the takedowns. To my credit, I was totally right. Rose messed up Jessica's face with the first 30 seconds and her kimura attempts made the slam attempts futile. Alas...it only takes one slip up against martial artists of this caliber. Jessica countered the "anti-slam Kimura" by switching to the high crotch, and slammed Rose right on her head. Rose needed to release the kimura but I'm not sure if they drilled that adjustment or if Rose didn't recognize the threat in time. I still think Rose wins that fight 8 out of 10 times, but my hat goes off to Jessica. She has earned the belt. I look forward to the rematch though, and other matchups if she can hold on to the belt.

Bj Penn vs Clay Guida: I picked Guide to win, but I figured the wrestling would come into play more. He demonstrated great use of low kicks. Even if they weren't the best kicks, they did slow Bj down. Additonally, his cardio was better than Bj's and he landed great punches once inside. It's sad watching Bj fight well past his prime years, but I guess that warrior spirit just never leaves some guys. I wonder if we could ever have some kinda master's division/ senior circuit for fighters past their prime. There's still older folks I'd be willing to watch, but I hate seeing them get battered.

Viviane Araujo vs Talita Bernado: Viviane has arrived. On four days notice and her UFC debut, comes in and KO's a veteran like Talita Bernardo. And she usually fights at Straweight. I am really interested in seeing how she develops in this division.

Anderson Silva vs Jared Canonnier: Similar to Bj, I think Anderson just has fighting in his blood. It's just hard to watch sometimes though. Even before the finish, Silva took 4 unanswered hooks to the face. He was eating low kicks all day before the final one blew out his knew. Never checked a single one. I guess it's impressive he still has a chin, but I don't know what to say. I will probably tune in regardless, but I wonder what is in it for these older guys. They are already legends. They have nothing to prove.

Jose Also vs Alexander Volkanovski: Aldo didn't look terrible, but he just plain got outlanded. His corner kept telling him he was ahead, but that was probably the wrong move. Jose looked to be coasting, only landing 1 or 2 shots here and there while Volkanovski was putting in work. Up against the fence, Jose needed to move his hips to either side more so Volkanovski couldn't just control him like that. Stopping the takedowns are great, you're still up against the fence. That's costing you energy and looks bad to the judges. And Volkanovski was landing knees and such too. It's unfortunate, as Aldo has looked pretty good recently. I was hoping for a better outcome for him here.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 12th, 2019 at 09:58 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2019 09:51 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Got it recorded to watch this weekend, I haven't had time yet sadly.

Old Post May 16th, 2019 03:17 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

To be honest ST your commentary of the card above is spot on. Good breakdowns mate. My MMA comment, I'm bored with the WWE style hype atm and don't enjoy the women's section.

Old Post May 27th, 2019 04:34 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

The drama era of MMA is definitely obnoxious to most of the hardcore fans. We're forced into a weird spot though, because this same drama brings in a larger audience. I want MMA to continue it's already incredible growth, so hype monsters like Conor/Ronda may be a necessary evil. I have so many friends uninterested in MMA, but they throw a viewing party whenever Conor fights. Every once in a while, that will get one of them hooked on the sport. I hate it too, but it might be a necessary evil.

Then again, GSP and Gina were the biggest stars of their day and they were incredibly humble and professional. Maybe we'll see a return to that with future stars.

What puts you off to the women's divisions? I find them super exciting tbh. The female talent has jumped by so many leaps and bounds recently. Compare them to Men's LHW, which is boring AF at the moment, especially with DC at HW. We're basically holding out hope Johnny Walker will live up to expectations and be Jon's only challenge.

Well, women's featherweight is boring too but the whole division is basically Amanda and Cyborg. And Amanda is just too far above everyone there.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 27th, 2019 at 09:09 PM

Old Post May 27th, 2019 09:03 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/5/...point-in-brazil

Jessica Andrade got robbed at gunpoint in Brazil.

Old Post May 31st, 2019 03:08 AM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

This seems to be a common trend in Brazil.

Don't think I'll be visiting anytime soon.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2019 06:29 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

LORDOFMMA'S PREDICTIONS

ADESANYA VS WHITTAKER- WINNER ADESANYA RD 5 TKO

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 03:58 AM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Adesanya Rd 2, good footwork.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 01:44 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just finished Bispings biography, "quitted never win". Excellent read!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2019 01:50 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can't help thinking Duaz should have been allowed to fight in. It wasn't a cut like Tyson Fury's recent one.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2019 08:51 AM
Trocity

Always thought Colby was a douche, but I gained respect for him tonight. Broke his jaw halfway through the fight and was still swinging and going after it. A lot of guys would have crumbled quickly after that.

Great fight. Usman is a bad man.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2019 08:47 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Trocity
Always thought Colby was a douche, but I gained respect for him tonight. Broke his jaw halfway through the fight and was still swinging and going after it. A lot of guys would have crumbled quickly after that.

Great fight. Usman is a bad man.
Yeah he's tough no doubt. It was an excellent fight to be honest.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2019 08:04 AM
Araan Eligis

Who does everyone here have as the fighter of the decade out of curiosity?

Demetrious Johnson would be my pick though it's very hard to make the argument against Jones.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 10:18 PM
Araan Eligis is currently offline Click here to Send Araan Eligis a Private Message Find more posts by Araan Eligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jones for me, followed by Bisping for what he achieved with ****ed up depth perception.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2020 07:31 PM
Trocity

Yeah, has to be Jones.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2020 09:01 PM
Araan Eligis

I'd pick Mighty Mouse mainly for the fact that during his 5 year long 13 fight win streak (still the record for title defences) he was the best fighter we've ever seen imo, and unlike Jones he never failed a drugs test. Jones is undefeated, but people would argue he lost a couple of those decisions he was given as well. I also think Jones's competition has been arguably the weakest out of all the champions, especially in recent years.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2020 12:51 AM
Araan Eligis is currently offline Click here to Send Araan Eligis a Private Message Find more posts by Araan Eligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

McGregor has shut me up over his ability at 170.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2020 12:13 PM
Trocity

If McGregor wants to fight as much as he says he does this year then he will need to fight again before the potential Khabib rematch.(Provided he gets by Tony)

While I would love to see McGregor fight Masvidal, that kills off a potential title challenger. I propose that McGregor fights Gaethje in the meantime while Khabib/Tony fight and Masvidal/Usman fight.

Gaethje is a very credible but very winnable fight. A stand-up style almost tailormade for Conor, but he is tough and can mix in wrestling. Then if Conor wins that, he can challenge for the 155 title and then maybe down the line challenge for the 170 and take over the fookin world or whatever.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 06:54 AM
LordofBrooklyn

You think the UFC and Mcgregor would be stupid enough NOT to make a title bout his next fight?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 03:10 PM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity

Depends on how long he wants to wait.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 07:53 AM