KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » NFL Talk

NFL Talk
Started by: DeNiro

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (497): « First ... « 491 492 [493] 494 495 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flameback
Pathology

I never stated Aaron Rodgers or anyone else that does or does not deserve the MVP this season but I do see where it may come across that way. But since you asked, between being a Rodgers fan from his college days and with the season he has had at this point, I would declare he is very likely the most deserving so far. However, should names like Cam Newton or Tim Tebow be thrown in the mix? Even Eli Manning was mentioned by some NFL pundits just about two weeks ago. Heck, Peyton Manning has been brought up even without playing. The point being MVP talk in the NFL is rather ridiculous. Just because the above names are quarterbacks and/or popular players they’re mentioned.

However, these same NFL pundits often fail to mention defensive players like Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, LaMarr Woodley, Patrick Willis, Von Miller and that's just to name a few; who I believe are all either nearly equal or more deserving to be mentioned then those four quarterbacks named. We all know likely an offensive guy will get the MVP, mainly a quarterback or a running back to a lesser degree and that's fine, but these MVP talks just seem absurd at times when they completely ignore the other side of the ball. How difficult is it for these media types to at least throw in a defensive player name or two just for kicks. Give some others the recognizing they deserve. I believe a lot of the blame goes to the NFL marketing department and the outlets like ESPN who bring up the more popular names rather then the deserving names at times due to likely profit sence those names carry more weight, but that’s another discussing.

I hope that clarifies what I was trying to state earlier.

"I ain't no fraggin' hero. I'm th' main man. I booze.
I womanize. I swear. An' I beat th' living crap outta
anybody I fraggin' feel like."
- Lobo

Old Post Dec 6th, 2011 07:33 PM
Flameback is currently offline Click here to Send Flameback a Private Message Find more posts by Flameback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Sure Tebow might be brought up because of his polarizing nature but no one would seriously entertain that he is a serious mvp candidate. You just here a lot of other stories but make no mistake Rodgers up to this point has it wrapped up. If the season ended today you know he'd win the award and that he'd be a shoein. That's all.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2011 09:05 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2011 03:53 PM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I wonder if the Packers can pull through on this one.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2012 12:16 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

After Jacobs's touchdown, looks like the answer is a "no."

Old Post Jan 16th, 2012 12:46 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

well its playoff time so time to make my appearance here. every playoff game thats been won I picked them to win except the Saints game.Man I cannot believe they lost that game.they were considered by many people to be the best team in the league.who would have ever figured they would have committed "5" turnovers. eek!

There was never any doubt in my mind the packers would lose that game to the Giants.They had such an easy schedule for a superbowl team this year it was unreal.there was never a doubt in my mind they would lose that game because if you cant even beat the chiefs,then thats pretty pathetic so you knew the Giants would beat them.It was just a matter of time before they showed their real colors.

They were winning games ugly like the last game against the Lions and the game against the chargers and the one earlier with The Giants as well.defense wins championships and you just cant give up that many yards and count on turnovers like they did.as they found out,it cost them this game since the Giants only had one turnover.

well did anybody else get most of their picks right so far as well?

the rest of my picks for the championship games are The Ravens over The Patriots because again,defense wins championships.The Patriots are not going to score over 40 points on them.

For the NFC game.It depends on the weather.They are saying the conditions are going to be rainy and cold so if thats the case,that wont favor the Giants because it will be hard enough to move the ball down the field on them as it is,but with those conditions I dont think against that defense they will be able to move the ball down the field and have success against them like they did against the Packers and Falcons.

If they are wrong and the conditions are perfect,then Im taking the Giants because they remind me an awful lot of the team from 4 years ago that won the superbowl coming on stong at the end like they did.They are doing that again this year.and in perfect conditions,they wont turn the ball over 5 times like The saints did.that was just carlessness on their part especially on special teams.I dont see the Ginats douing that especially on special teams in perfect weather.

what are your picks and why do you pick them? thanks.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Jan 20th, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Old Post Jan 20th, 2012 10:06 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

I change my mind on the patriots game.although they rank last in giving up yardage,they do create turnovers and with Joe Flacco at quarterback,I just dont have faith in the ravens despite their good defense and even though they beat them two years ago in the playoofs at foxboro,at that time they did not have hernandez and Grobkoski i think is his name.Grobkoski is going to be a future hall of famer.He is amazing.plus the ravens are only 500 on the road.

so i think we'll see a superbowl rematch of the giants and patriots from 4 years ago that again is assuming the weather in san francisco has favorable playing conditions.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2012 06:36 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I fully expected the Ravens and Patriots to go into overtime once the Ravens went for the field goal. When they missed, I was like huh, then I was like happy .

Last edited by StyleTime on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2012 11:23 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

so.. rematch Patriots v. Giants.. should be good

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2012 05:08 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
I fully expected the Ravens and Patriots to go into overtime once the Ravens went for the field goal. When they missed, I was like huh, then I was like happy .

the sad part is the kicker will be the one that gets all the blame for it which is totally unfair.Even if he made it that would have only sent them into overtime. roll eyes (sarcastic) the REAL person to blame is that reciever who dropped that easy touchdown pass from Flacco.Flacco actually played well in this game and is not th one to blame for this loss.That wide receiver is.

Scott Norwood was also unfairly solely blamed for the bills lost to the Giants in their first superbowl with his missed field goal.Kelly in the offence are the ones to be blamed for that loss.I still remember that they had the ball on the 5 yard line of the Giants and they failed to get the ball into the end zone on 4 trys.Thats who was to blame for that superbowl loss,not Norwood,at least equally as much.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2012 05:42 PM
Mr Parker

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
so.. rematch Patriots v. Giants.. should be good

I see the Giants winning a close one again.They say the patriots defense has stepped up in the playoffs.well thats becuase they havent played anybody in the playoffs.Neither the Broncos or the ravens have a decent offense..Tim Tebow? what a joke.He eventually got exposed as the bad quarterback he is towards the end of the year when he faced good teams like the patriots. And Joe Flacco and the ravens offense? seriously,you got to be kidding?. They will finally face a GOOD quarterback this time,one that doesnt get rattled like Flacco and especially Tebow and that will be too much for them to handle.

They will finally have faced a good offense for the first time in the playoffs and they wont be able to handle them,Plus colts fans have first crack at tickets there and they dont like the Patriots and Peytons brother will be playing against him so the superbowl site will actually feel like a road game for the patriots and a home game for the Giants especially since Ginats fans travel so well.You could hear them at both The Packers game and 49ers game everytime Victor Cruz caught a pass half the stadium in both games yelling-Cruuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzz. big grin

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2012 05:51 PM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Giants kill Pats.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 12:52 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Everyone thinks Giants can win, which usually means the opposite will happen. That being said, I think this will be an exception, that the Giants will actually win. I'd say 27-24.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2012 06:48 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Where have you come from?

I can't believe the Pats are in the Super Bowl. Something about them, it seems they've been extremely lucky throughout the year.

But I really haven't paid too much attention this year.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2012 02:45 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I know...I think it's been a year since I last posted. Things have been busy. My daughter is now 2 so I spend loads of time with her since she's running around and tackling me every chance she gets. Sometimes I feel like Big Ben dropping back for a pass with the way she delivers a crushing hit.

Not sure if the Patriots have been lucky as Brady's been good enough to win. Even though I don't like the guy, I have to give him credit. We'll see how he does with only 1-1/2 tight ends in the Super Bowl. If you want to officially call Hernandez a tight end, that is.

Obviously the game is changing. In the near future, don't be surprised to see many, many more tall, physical, fast, nasty TE's go early in round 1 like Vernon Davis did.

Last edited by botankus on Feb 1st, 2012 at 02:24 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2012 02:20 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, the game is changing.

I remember when a few teams had elite TE's like Gates, Witten, Shockey (maybe no elite) who were dominate in the passing game.

Now, it seems everybody has one. Basically the theory goes is: super athletic? Well, we want you because as long as you can catch, you'll be wide open.

But eventually, team defenses will find ways to stop it. Probably linebackers who are not considered "linebackers", or whatever.

I also have a child as well but she is still under 1.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2012 04:18 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Congrats, Smas - I didn't know that. It is a lot of fun. I've taught her how to hang onto a Nerf football when I'm going in for the tackle.

Funny, I was thinking about that just the other day...about what defenses are going to have to do to guard these TE's. I think it's going to have to shift from LB's to DB's covering. I wouldn't exactly say have a permanent nickel or dime defense on the field, but LB-type athletes would populate the DL next to the NT or DTs, where they would rush and pop RB's sneaking out of the backfield. ILB's would be more critical. All this crap might free up a DB to cover a TE feigning their block and sneaking off the line.

Who knows. I'm far from a defensive coordinator. And Goodell could change the rules yet again, leaving defensive coordinators more confused then ever about what scheme to run.

Last edited by botankus on Feb 1st, 2012 at 06:54 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2012 06:51 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would suspect that in the next few years, we will see a huge importance on a safety who is like Darren Woodson, the late Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, and etc.

Guys who can tackle but cover.

The problem is that those type of smart, precise safeties are hard to find while super athletic TE's seem to be easier to find. Hell, there was talk that Lebron James wanted to play football and I wouldn't be surprised if he did well.

Your probably right, it will be a combination of fast, solid LB's.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2012 11:50 PM
Mr Parker

Originally posted by botankus
Everyone thinks Giants can win, which usually means the opposite will happen. That being said, I think this will be an exception, that the Giants will actually win. I'd say 27-24.

Yeah you got to remember that in the Giants/Patriots last meeting they had with each that the Giants WON in New England this year,they did so without Cruz.Him and their star running back both missed that game because of injurys but this time Manning has both of those weapons to use so that will be too much for the suspect Patriots defense to handle.
Even without those weapons Manning came on strong in the final drive against them and won that game at the tail end.

Also like you both said,the patriots shouldnt even be there.If not for that dropped pass that ravens receiver should easily have made in the end zone,it doesnt come down to the ravens trying to kick the tying filed goal,they win that game easily.

also you got to remember,this game is being played in Indy so colts fans will have first shot at game tickets and they also love and worship Peyton Manning.That being the case, they will be rooting for little brother Eli and the Giants to win.also the Giants fanbase travels extremely well.Much better than than The Patriots fanbase does so that being the site of this game actually gives the Giants an edge in homefield advantage.it will seem like a home game for the Giants and a road game for the patriots.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2012 07:25 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Congrats to Coughlin and the Giants. Once again they rose up and snatched the trophy away from Lord Brady.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2012 01:29 PM