KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Dark Tower

The Dark Tower
Started by: ToMacco

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ToMacco
hell yes.

I don't blame Steven King for the ending. He tells you right in the story to not read any futher because we all wouldn't like it.

Oh, that's fine then. You can either read an unfinished 'epic' spanning 7 books and taking-up many hours, or you can read on for a cop-out ending. Good stuff, King. If I had stopped reading when King 'tells' the reader to, then I would be just as let-down by a book named 'The Dark Tower' which fails so utterly in its exploration of it.

Originally posted by PVS
i read up till wizard and glass. how does it end? spoil me, i dont plan on reading the rest ever

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: King enters his own narrative, and appears to be writing a series on the adventures Roland and his ka-tet are having. Then, at the end Roland enters The Dark Tower. This is apparently where King wants us to leave the story, but he indulges us enough to spew out a shitty ending which is akin to the 'and then I woke-up and it was all a dream' garbage that most of us used in creative writing class when we were 12 years old. Basically, he climbs to the top of the tower - each level having a different part of his life - and then is taken back to the stage when he is near the way-station in the desert. It's really crap.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2007 06:12 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

i didn't think the ending was that bad. it'd be pretty hard to accurately represent a concept that's been built up for thousands of pages and over twenty years. besides, it's already sort of explained what the dark tower is within "insomnia".

with this ending, we get explanations for why everything went so smoothly throughout the series (ie: how nearly every "one in a million" chance they took came through), and also turns the whole series into a massive morality tale.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 12:22 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by manorastroman
i didn't think the ending was that bad. it'd be pretty hard to accurately represent a concept that's been built up for thousands of pages and over twenty years. besides, it's already sort of explained what the dark tower is within "insomnia".

I understand the difficulty of portraying it, but surely if you build something up you should have the balls/talent to express it. I haven't read much King - only Hearts In Atlantis, The Talisman and The Black House - but is Insomnia any good? Will it make me feel any better about The Dark Tower considering all the time I invested in it?

Originally posted by manorastroman
with this ending, we get explanations for why everything went so smoothly throughout the series (ie: how nearly every "one in a million" chance they took came through), and also turns the whole series into a massive morality tale.

I guess, but I was expecting more...much more.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 12:36 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

i haven't read any king for years, but once upon a time king was the man who got me into reading, and i tore through about thirty of his books.

insomnia is good, and interesting, but very weighty. probably...800 pages. maybe 900. the dark tower/crimson king are central to the story, as is patrick danville. one of his best, if i remember. probably as good or better than talisman.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 01:21 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Talisman isn't that good. I've already forgotten most about it, and I have a pretty good memory.

Stephen Kings "greatest hits" are, imo :

- Dolores Claiborne
- The Stand
- Hearts in Atlantis
- The Eyes of the Dragon
- Misery
- The Dead Zone
- Needful Things

But his coolest character is of course good old Roland.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 06:07 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Talisman isn't that good. I've already forgotten most about it, and I have a pretty good memory.

Stephen Kings "greatest hits" are, imo :

- Dolores Claiborne
- The Stand
- Hearts in Atlantis
- The Eyes of the Dragon
- Misery
- The Dead Zone
- Needful Things

But his coolest character is of course good old Roland.

The Stand and Salems Lot are his best

Black House the follow up to the talisman is better than the talisman.

Roland is very cool but so is the original version of Randall Flagg.

I'm young and female, but tough, I love coffee

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 06:24 PM
Molly Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Roland was cool until his whole life and being were raped at the end of The Dark Tower.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 07:27 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Bumping this, because I've been plowing into the Dark Tower series and am nearly at the end after two years of reading the books between classes and friends and so on.

King does a great job of making tiny little references for the reader to catch. Currently starting the seventh book.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2010 10:33 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote