KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » greatest actor of all time

greatest actor of all time
Started by: ToMacco

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Not one single mention of Marlon Brando..................*sigh*

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 19th, 2006 04:00 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Alec Guiness is good

Harrison Ford too...

Johnny Depp is ok...

Ewan Mcgregor > dont ask why...

HIS force be with you.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 12:22 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
Not one single mention of Marlon Brando..................*sigh*

oh yeah,forgot about him.He should for sure be mentioned in that list as well.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 05:06 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Funny that you mentioned those two names Amy because me and you think alike as well Because I was about to make a post about those two actors. big grin I was going to post that Alec Guinness is considered the chameleon actor of his day and time.Meaning in just about every film of his,moviegoers even though they knew who Alec Guiness was and that he was in that certain movie they were seeing,they could not recognize him in his roles he played in his movies because he always looked so much different in all his movies he would be in.Well Gary Oldman has that same gift and he is this generations Chameleon of actors.Just about every movie he is in as well,you have a hard time believing that he is that character because also looks so much different and unrecognizeable in his movies.Take Batman Begins for example.I kept hearing that he was in that movie and even though I had an idea of what he looks like since I have seen him in quite a few movies,I never knew until like the 4th time I saw it,that he was indeed commissioner Gordon.When I learned THAT was the role he played in the movie on like the 4th time,I was like THAT was Gary Oldman? wow he fooled me.I didnt know that was him. so yep,he is this generations Chameleon of movies. smile great actors like him and guinness have that rare gift.

eek! unfortunatly i looked at pictures of G.Oldman in batman before i went to watch it but still he didnt look reconiseable at all

Old Post May 19th, 2006 06:57 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

Well, i agree with my friend mr parker in almost all the things that he posted. Alec Guiness and Gary Oldman are, absolutely, two of the greatest actors of any generation or any time because they are human chamaleons, they could play any role in any movie. People like John Hurt should be in those lists because he is in the same chamaleon range that guiness or oldman.

Also, people like Marlon Brando should be in those lists too. He was one of the greatest actors ever.

About the Laurence Olivier issue. True, he was named in his time the best actor of all time, but that was on stage, in theatre, not in cinema. In cinema , he was very good in movies like spartacus, rebecca, sleuth , marathon man or his shakespeare adaptations, but never nearly as good as he was in theatre.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 07:31 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
columbo1970

Although i am huge peter Falk fan I have to say for me it has to be Dustin Hoffman, with a very close second of Anthony Hopkins.
happy happy

Old Post May 19th, 2006 08:41 PM
columbo1970 is currently offline Click here to Send columbo1970 a Private Message Find more posts by columbo1970 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by ladygrim
eek! unfortunatly i looked at pictures of G.Oldman in batman before i went to watch it but still he didnt look reconiseable at all

Like I said,he is amazing the way he is able to fool people in his movies.your always thinking -so where is Gary Oldman,I dont see him? when he is right there in front of you.LOL.then when you leave the theater,your like-wow THAT was him,I cant believe it. eek!

Last edited by Mr Parker on May 19th, 2006 at 09:42 PM

Old Post May 19th, 2006 09:38 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
draconifers

Originally posted by Dr_Joshua_Keyes
Johnny Depp!

Johnny Depp is my all time favourite actor as well! I can't believe there are only two mentions of him! I think he's fantastic, the way that he can change from one role to the other rather than seeming to be the same character in a different film.

"Im Captain Jack Sparrow"

Old Post May 24th, 2006 04:42 PM
draconifers is currently offline Click here to Send draconifers a Private Message Find more posts by draconifers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrsCristaDepp
Johnny Depp's pirate girl

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Like I said,he is amazing the way he is able to fool people in his movies.your always thinking -so where is Gary Oldman,I dont see him? when he is right there in front of you.LOL.then when you leave the theater,your like-wow THAT was him,I cant believe it. eek!

ok here are some more

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP

JOHNNY DEPP the others are not even close!

Old Post May 25th, 2006 11:44 PM
MrsCristaDepp is currently offline Click here to Send MrsCristaDepp a Private Message Find more posts by MrsCristaDepp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rockycairns

Winners

Robert De Niro
Joe Pesci
Tom Hanks

Nominees

Kevin Spacey
Christopher Walken
Pete Postlethwaite
Edward Norton
Brad Pitt
Al Pacino
Daniel Day-Lewis

Old Post May 26th, 2006 04:57 PM
rockycairns is currently offline Click here to Send rockycairns a Private Message Find more posts by rockycairns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wite Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

Robert DeNiro, Kevin Spacey, Sean Penn and Harrison Ford in that order imo.

Thanks to Jonathan Mark for the sig

Old Post May 28th, 2006 05:47 PM
Wite Fox is currently offline Click here to Send Wite Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Wite Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silverback

Bogart. Butt ugly guy who probably weighed 150lbs soaking wet. But on the screen he was totally believable as either suave ladys man or a two fisted tough guy. Bogart in a trenchcoat is an iconic image that'll last forever.

Old Post May 28th, 2006 11:44 PM
Silverback is currently offline Click here to Send Silverback a Private Message Find more posts by Silverback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joli Bug-Azi
Sullen Champion

I think a better question would be: who is your personal favourite actor? But I'll try my best.

There are the obvious four screen legends: Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, James Dean and Gregory Peck.

Then later icons like Robert De Niro (one of the most devoted actors in history), Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Jack Nicholson, John Malkovich to name a few.

And even newer greats from the past ten years, Nicholas Cage, Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Edward Norton and Ewan McGregor.

But as a wise man once said: "I would not think of quarreling with your interpretation nor offering any other, as I have found it always the best policy to allow the film to speak for itself."

Last edited by Joli Bug-Azi on Jun 9th, 2006 at 11:58 AM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 11:56 AM
Joli Bug-Azi is currently offline Click here to Send Joli Bug-Azi a Private Message Find more posts by Joli Bug-Azi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

Anthony Hopkins, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Robert Deniro, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson

to me its between Pacino, Newman and Hopkins

and more recently, Tom Hanks, Ed Norton, Kevin Space, Brad Pitt and Russel Crowe

Last edited by Dyno on Mar 20th, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 11:30 PM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

I really think Brad Pitt is an amazing actor. He's played an autistic, serial killing thug, mythical warrior, police detective, farmer, con man you name it, and came up aces on the parts given to him. He is my all time favorite actor.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 05:58 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm going with Jack Nicholson. His portrayal of madness in Cuckoo's Nest and The Shining are perfect, and the stern bluntness of his character in A Few Good Men set new standards for military acting. He is brilliant in everything he's ever done, even his random cameo appearance in the rock opera Tommy.

Maybe not the best, but certainly one of them, and my personal favourite.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 12:36 PM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

I just watched As good as it gets and Jack Nicholson is now in my top 3. he is an Amazing Actor, but anyone who has won a best actor Oscar must be really good, just like Tom Hank, Marlon Brando, Dustin Hoffman and Daniel Day-Lewis. they are all amazing actors.

I really like Brad Pitt as an actor, I am surprised he has never won an Oscar.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 04:46 PM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

There are simply too many to really even make a qualitive and reasonable list in my mind. You have the obvious ones like Ford, Pacino, De Niro, Hoffman of the New Hollywood era, the method school of actors like Brando and James Dean, some of the Shakespearean actors like Olivier, Holm and although perhaps a tad arguable, Alan Rickman. Then you have the classics like John Wayne, Cagney, Archibald Leach and Jimmy Stewart. Bloody Hell: Heston (although a certified anus), Eastwood, Jack Lemmon. Forget that. There are many.

In the recent decades you have people like Gary Oldman coming into their prime, Christian Bale, Tom Cruise (Scientology aside he is an amazing actor), Daniel Day-Lewis et cetera et cetera.

Thing is, practically everyone anyone has mentioned (with notable exceptions. Mr.Depp, I'm looking in your direction) would bring something great to a role that in script-form was wafer thin.

What about actresses you sexist pigs?

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 11:39 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Originally posted by jaden101
alec guinness in oliver twist as fagin, professor marcus in the lady killers...his roles in lawerence of arabia, dr zhivago and hotel paradiso

Kind Hearts and Coronets!

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 12:02 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

Helen Hunt, Patricia Arquette, Sharon Stone, Charlize Theron, Jodie Foster

Marilyn Munroe, Audrey Hepburn, Meryl Streep

there are loads of great actresses its too hard to chooseno expression

Last edited by Dyno on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 12:12 AM