KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » greatest actor of all time

greatest actor of all time
Started by: ToMacco

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
My pick for worst made 90.

Then again, Tom Cruise is on the list.

Not only did the AFI place him on the list, but they placed him 5 spots ahead of my favorite actor,who just happens to be a classically trained stage actor, widely regarded as one of the finest of his generation. So, clearly the AFI has been spending too much time buying-in to their own hopped up, trailer park, blue collar comedy tour-watching, self-agrandizing egos. GOD why does America have to be so stupid, sometimes?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 01:50 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Bardock42
Laurence Olivier? That the guy you mean? The guy you believe is the greatest actor of all time?

Laurence?

Olivier?

That one?

yeah thats the one.Thats the one that everybody considers to be the greatest actor of all time.Never have seen any of his films so I wasnt aware thats how it was spelled. embarrasment well now I know.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 07:04 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Seeing as this seems to be who we feel is the best actor/s outside of our own preference for roles:

Ian McKellen, Robert de Niro, Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Christian Bale, Daniel Day-Lewis, Peter O' Toole, Denzel Washington to name a few, I suppose.

I don't think Edward Norton, despite being one of my favs, will ever rank up there. Unless he churns out some more Fight Club or better calibre performances, it's not gonna happen.

Daniel Day-Lewis has x-factor, though. I think there's something about his roles that just command every single bit of attention, which can sometimes be a bad thing. The first time I noticed him, really, was Gangs of New York, so maybe I caught on a bit late, but I'm sure that is a role that is a fav with anyone.

I don't know much about technical acting, but I think he gets it.

I also think Gene Hackman, on his best day, is amazing. Very explosive.

Walken is going the Samuel L. Jackson route of almost just being Walken in every movie.

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Lawrence Olivia is easily the greatest actor of all time so this discussion can end now.Thats a known fact.Every major director and actor will tell you the same thing

That doesn't make it fact.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 07:42 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

speaking of great actors, i'm going to draw a big collage of them all to add to my portfolio. The AFI list is a good place to start - not perfect, but when have you ever seen a perfect 'top 100 list'?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2008 01:44 AM
Stun is currently offline Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I should certainly add Kenneth Branagh to my list. Like McKellen, I've never seen him in a movie where he didn't make it better simply by virtue of his addition to the cast. I'd also add Stanley Tucci.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 15th, 2008 03:36 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

Laurence Olivier was one of the best actors of all time in theatre. But in cinema, he wasnt that good. Anyways, he was one of the best actors of all time.

Here is a list of mine: Laurence Olivier, Marlon Brando, Robert Deniro, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Ian Mackellen, Daniel Day-Lewis, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Montgomery Clifft, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Edward Norton, Christan Bale, Spencer Tracy, Alec Guiness, Charles Laughton, Gary Oldman, John Hurt, Peter O'toole, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Caine, Terence Stamp, Richard Harris, Peter Cushing, Sean Connery, Paul Newman, Peter Sellers, Kevin Spacey, Jeff Brigdes, Nick Nolte, Charles Chaplin, Humprey Bogart, James Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, Buster Keaton, Gregory Peck, Robert Duvall.

I could posts some more , no dubt.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Last edited by bakerboy on Jun 15th, 2008 at 03:22 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2008 03:19 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Toad

The actors I have in the highest regard are Christopher Plummer and Tom Hanks.

Respectively I think that Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo Di Caprio, Tim Curry, Johnny Depp, Matt Damon, Marlon Brando, Morgan Freeman and Russell Crowe are all fine actors.

Waiting for the beginning.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:10 PM
Mr. Toad is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Toad a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Toad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
supersyd

Originally posted by Mairuzu
Heath Ledger

You beat me to it. smile

Old Post Dec 20th, 2008 01:25 AM
supersyd is currently offline Click here to Send supersyd a Private Message Find more posts by supersyd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
liebe911

I will decide after hearing all your suggestions who should be my Nominee be

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 07:29 AM
liebe911 is currently offline Click here to Send liebe911 a Private Message Find more posts by liebe911 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheStarCeleb

Al Pacino, Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DeNiro are my favorites.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 04:52 AM
TheStarCeleb is currently offline Click here to Send TheStarCeleb a Private Message Find more posts by TheStarCeleb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
catwalk0188
Restricted

Account Restricted

Christian Bale...
Liam Neeson
Johny Depp
Hugh Jackman
Brad Pit

Last edited by Impediment on Jan 9th, 2010 at 04:23 AM

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 12:31 PM
catwalk0188 is currently offline Click here to Send catwalk0188 a Private Message Find more posts by catwalk0188 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheStarCeleb

Originally posted by catwalk0188
Christian Bale...
Liam Neeson
Johny Depp
Hugh Jackman
Brad Pit

I forgot about Christian Bale - shame on me! I think he has done a spectacular job in every movie he's played in. I just recently became familiar with Liam Neeson when I watched Taken.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 07:02 PM
TheStarCeleb is currently offline Click here to Send TheStarCeleb a Private Message Find more posts by TheStarCeleb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

My opinion of the greatest actor of all time is Robert De Niro. He's not my favorite, though. My favorites are Kevin Spacey, Don Cheadle, and Ian McKellan.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 10:52 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lorson223

hi

Anthony Hopkins is very good actor i liked Dr. Hannibal Lecter the most.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2009 07:51 AM
lorson223 is currently offline Click here to Send lorson223 a Private Message Find more posts by lorson223 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Charlton Heston.

His performance in Ben-Hur is unparalleled.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 06:48 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

most mentioned are excellent actors, i just wanted to add kirk douglas.

he acted in a period of time when most people were typecast [cary grant was always the charming, witty man, tony curtis was almost always the mischevious one... etc.] but douglas managed to break his own mold. sure, we saw plenty of tough guy stuff from him [as in I AM SPARTACUS!!!] but he took a big leap of faith when he played Van Gogh, and again when took on a role in one of the first live-action disney movies [20,000] leagues under the sea. and of course, you have "the bold and the beautiful."

with modern day actors... i dunno, there are so many...

michael caine, sean penn, christian bale, daniel-day lewis, johnny depp...

i think these are all the types of guys who are generally willing to do any kind of movie, and slip into one character to another...

like christian bale has an extremely good ear for accents, and at 17 could do a perfect new youhk accent for "newsies."

aaagh. so many. so good.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 01:42 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GrillingNemo

jack nicholson, edward norton, al pacino

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2009 09:13 PM
GrillingNemo is currently offline Click here to Send GrillingNemo a Private Message Find more posts by GrillingNemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthLazious
Dark Lord of the KMC

Dustin Hoffman or Morgan Freeman.

http://thewilloftheforce.webs.com/

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 08:53 AM
DarthLazious is currently offline Click here to Send DarthLazious a Private Message Find more posts by DarthLazious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Dafoe and Gene Wilder are too low.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 09:37 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gobstakid777
Restricted

Account Restricted

my top 5 are

1.Gary Sinise
2.Brad Pitt
3.Samuel L. Jackson
4.Denzel Washington
5. Tom Hanks

James Cagney,Humprey Bogart,or Robert Mitchum get my vote for greatest of all time

greatest of the modern era would,to me,be brad pitt,although one could argue tom hanks

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 10:19 AM
gobstakid777 is currently offline Click here to Send gobstakid777 a Private Message Find more posts by gobstakid777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote