KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Martial Arts

Martial Arts
Started by: spidergrl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (60): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shaolin Monk
Tech Junkie

We have no martial arts schools in my town anymore...closest ones are about an hour away.

I was lucky to meet a man at a High School Basketball game, who was talking about Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.

I took an 8 week course that he taught, free of charge (which was awesome...held outside of a museum), covering the basics of Shaolin Long Fist and Eagle Claw.

I'm hoping he will start something up again. I had a lot of fun, and want to learn a lot more.

<`Syntax> iListen to pink floyd: wall.modify(numBricks++);

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 10:09 PM
Shaolin Monk is currently offline Click here to Send Shaolin Monk a Private Message Find more posts by Shaolin Monk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by Shaolin Monk
We have no martial arts schools in my town anymore...closest ones are about an hour away.

I was lucky to meet a man at a High School Basketball game, who was talking about Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.

I took an 8 week course that he taught, free of charge (which was awesome...held outside of a museum), covering the basics of Shaolin Long Fist and Eagle Claw.

I'm hoping he will start something up again. I had a lot of fun, and want to learn a lot more.

damn i dont know what to say. the best i can suggest is that you buy books and tapes or go to budokais(tournaments) but remember that there is no substitute for experience. i wish you luck.

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 11:50 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

yesssssss ummmmmmm about that breathing...... sad
i have enough of it at training so i'll leave you too it on KMC big grin

Made by the wonderful Barker .. Thanks Darling

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 02:55 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

*breathes in, breathes out breathes in, breaths out...* roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 06:52 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

Go Baylin.......you have it down to fine art !!! big grin
in...............and............out.................

Old Post Oct 8th, 2004 05:35 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

*Goes dizzy and passes out from hyperventilating...*

We did a great session on knife fighting/defense last week. Bascially instead of a knife we used marker pens to indicate when you get cut - it is amazing just how difficult it is to defend against a knife without getting cut!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2004 11:19 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

we practice with fake knives that look very very real big grin

*she grabs and fake knife and pretends to stab herself...........and then relises its a real one sad *

Old Post Oct 8th, 2004 09:04 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

my katana rusted slightly when i kept it in the sheath too long and my dad says that i should keep the sword drawn out of the sheath like he has medieval sword. but i dont really trust him so what should i do?

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 10th, 2004 07:50 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

umm you asking the wrong person here. i guess for anything kind of metal or what ever i guess you want to keep it out of dark damp places. you may be take it out and or put it somewhere with a bit of heat?? wink

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 05:26 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

quote:
Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO
my katana rusted slightly when i kept it in the sheath too long and my dad says that i should keep the sword drawn out of the sheath like he has medieval sword. but i dont really trust him so what should i do?

There's plenty of websites out there that tell you how to maintain your sword properly.

If you practice with it regularly it will need cleaning after every session. The oils in human skin is corrosive and will cause the steel to rust.

If you dont you could try using a light clear grease on the blade, this will stop the air getting to it and rusting it. wink

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 01:10 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

ill try that...thanks!big grin

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 02:30 PM
spidergrl
Living

well just shows me that i know absoluely nothing about swords big grin

Old Post Oct 13th, 2004 05:56 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

I broke one of my toes last night! sad

Right at the begining of the lesson as well sad

That didn't stop me training, although after 2.5 hours of jujitsu it had swollen right up and is now very bruised looking big grin wink

Old Post Oct 14th, 2004 08:22 AM
spidergrl
Living

gutted!! what are you doing about it?? do you have it strapped or anything like that??

Old Post Oct 15th, 2004 04:08 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

Yeah I just taped it to the bigger toe next to it. It's alright it doesn't hurt much now although it's gone a lovely shade of purple... blink

Old Post Oct 15th, 2004 11:11 AM
spidergrl
Living

ohh yea it sounds so lovely. i brove mi small finger and had my whole arm in a cast for 6 weeks sad

Old Post Oct 15th, 2004 08:16 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Has anyone ever tried making their own weapons?

I made a three section staff.
I found it really difficult to swing around without clobbering myself...

Old Post Oct 16th, 2004 03:40 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

i once had a pair of these

but one of the blades had broken off.
i took the blade and shoved in the sheathing slot for the still functional one.
now i have myself a tanto swordbreaker! big grin

by the way...

i found a instruction file here.

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 16th, 2004 04:50 PM
spidergrl
Living

aswome, yea. i haven't ever gone out and made my own weapons.
i'll tell you a little story and no laughing:
our group of us young taekwondo players traveled to the home country of tkd - korea!! and koreans are fast at everything and i mean everything. anyway we were at one of the masters clubs which we're staying at, and we walk in to the dojang and they had got swords out and numb chucks (i can't spell) and swinging them around amd doing all this fancy stuff. anyway we hooped on the mat and they gave them to us to have a go - not a good idea. we were little and didn't really know what to do with them. so we started swinging them around etc etc. and the next thing i no my m8 beside me swang so hard while our master from korea was behind her that she smashed him in the face.

conclusion: one big black eye and a cracked jaw
- don't trust New Zealanders with numb chucks, eva, eva again!!!

Last edited by spidergrl on Oct 16th, 2004 at 07:05 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2004 07:01 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

laughing out loud

My next weapons creation are going to be numb chucks... (Nunchaku)

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 06:59 AM