KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Thanos vs Dr Manhattan

Thanos vs Dr Manhattan
Started by: R.O.T. Yahman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kid Kurdy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grimm22
I dont know.

I guess the ending no expression

You have to be more specific if you want me to help you.

And the ending... well I thought it was great and sad at the same time. It was not a happy ending, but there was a little bit of hope that the bad guy would still end up behind bars : remember Rohrschahs diary. We'll never know if it has been published or not.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:48 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

For those who don't know him : this is Doc Manhattan

Attachment: manhattan.jpg
This has been downloaded 100 time(s).

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:49 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Master

Originally posted by Acrosurge
And yet, Dr. Manhattan wound up being manipulated by Adrian Veidt. He did exactly as Veidt wanted him to; he joined his point of view, in the end.

Dr Manhattan was being affected by tachyons when he was fooled by Adrien, He clearly said "These TACHYONS, they're muddling things up..", they did however only slightly affect his mind, but not his power.

Manhattan can rearrange matter and energy in any way he wished, apparently control time and the end of the series suggest he can create humans/life, which would then catapult him into the hierarchy of even mainstream companies.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 08:29 PM
Mr Master is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Master a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

yeah i remember him at the end quipping casually to himslef that he "might" create some life. like ...meh...maybe i'll create some life

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 08:44 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Mr Master
Dr Manhattan was being affected by tachyons when he was fooled by Adrien, He clearly said "These TACHYONS, they're muddling things up..", they did however only slightly affect his mind, but not his power.

Manhattan can rearrange matter and energy in any way he wished, apparently control time and the end of the series suggest he can create humans/life, which would then catapult him into the hierarchy of even mainstream companies.
Manhattan is powerful in the Watchman universe, I give him that, however he has never matched his powers against other matter/energy manipulators, or even against actual, super-powered beings. This casts him into the same boat as Sentry as far as judging how his power stacks up against others.

Create life? The Silver Surfer has done that. See past, present, and future? Both Surfer and Genis can do that and its never helped them against Thanos. If Manhattan sends Thanos somewhere, the Mad Titan can teleport right back. Thanos has total control over his mind, soul, and body, so in my opinion, there's nothing Dr. Manhattan could do to harm him.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 11:30 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by who?-kid
You have to be more specific if you want me to help you.

And the ending... well I thought it was great and sad at the same time. It was not a happy ending, but there was a little bit of hope that the bad guy would still end up behind bars : remember Rohrschahs diary. We'll never know if it has been published or not.

Yeah I never understood what was so special about the diary? no expression

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 12:13 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mider

actually it doesnt cast him into the same boat, he is said to be able to make other beings and his powers are to a limit explained, and even sentry is not to be laughed at.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 12:50 AM
Mider is currently offline Click here to Send Mider a Private Message Find more posts by Mider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hancock1

I know next to nothing about Dr Manhatten.So I can't say who will win.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 12:52 AM
Hancock1 is currently offline Click here to Send Hancock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hancock1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Thanos_6383
I know next to nothing about Dr Manhatten.So I can't say who will win.

All right, a quick refresher for everyone. It has been 20 years since we saw the Doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Manhattan

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 02:33 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Yeah I never understood what was so special about the diary? no expression

Well, in the diary Rohrschah (I hate that name ! I don't know how to write it and I am too lazy to look it up) wrote everything down he knew, including the fact that Adrian Veidt is the evil mastermind.

Before the left, Rohrschah sent his diary to a paper, because he had a feeling he wouldn't survive it. If he died, the diary with a lot of answers in it still could be published by the same paper.

I hope this helped you.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 04:29 PM
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by who?-kid
Well, in the diary Rohrschah (I hate that name ! I don't know how to write it and I am too lazy to look it up) wrote everything down he knew, including the fact that Adrian Veidt is the evil mastermind.

Before the left, Rohrschah sent his diary to a paper, because he had a feeling he wouldn't survive it. If he died, the diary with a lot of answers in it still could be published by the same paper.

I hope this helped you.

Kind of erm

I still dont get why its such a well reknown book though, I mean I liked it and all but it wasnt exactly the greatest superhero story ever told or anything like that stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 04:44 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Mider
actually it doesnt cast him into the same boat, he is said to be able to make other beings and his powers are to a limit explained, and even sentry is not to be laughed at.
... his powers are explained, but his limits were not tested. He never overcame any true superhumans. He's never fought beings with similar molecular control. There's no proof that his powers in that regard are even beyond the Silver Surfer, Firestorm, a GL, or Captain Atom, let alone Thanos.

In that regard, Dr. Manhatten is identical to Sentry. We simply don't know how strong he is because all he's had to test his limits have been normal humans and Earth based technology.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 04:51 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Kind of erm

I still dont get why its such a well reknown book though, I mean I liked it and all but it wasnt exactly the greatest superhero story ever told or anything like that stick out tongue

Well, we are of course entitled to our own opinion. But imo, it was, together with The Dark Knight Returns, Marvels, The Killing Joke and Batman Year One one of the best comics ever.

Watchmen was very influential, because it was one of the first superhero comics in which characters could cry, or betray, or have sex, or were unable to stop the evil scheme of the villain.

Don't forget it's 20 years old, lots has happened since, these days we are used to cynic super heroes and occasionally a not so good ending. Back then, it was simply not done.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 05:02 PM
Kid Kurdy

Originally posted by Acrosurge
... his powers are explained, but his limits were not tested. He never overcame any true superhumans. He's never fought beings with similar molecular control. There's no proof that his powers in that regard are even beyond the Silver Surfer, Firestorm, a GL, or Captain Atom, let alone Thanos.

In that regard, Dr. Manhatten is identical to Sentry. We simply don't know how strong he is because all he's had to test his limits have been normal humans and Earth based technology.

You have a point.

But that doesn't make Manhattan less dangerous. I consider him like a (mini) Molecule Man with super strength, who can duplicate himself, who can turn himself into a giant, who can teleport himself and others to where he wants and who is very hard to kill.

That's why he has a good chance against Thanos.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 05:05 PM
Mider

in the comic wasnt he stated to be able to make his own beings.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 06:33 PM
Mider is currently offline Click here to Send Mider a Private Message Find more posts by Mider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote