KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy
Started by: IcePunk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (65): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

The thing is that while Smash will indeed pwn with a vengence, its still not a big change from the Smash formula (which is good). But SSBB's biggest problem with reviews and such will be that its not quite as fresh as it once was. I have a feeling that reviews will say something like "Nintendo has matured the Smash Bros. formula to perfection, the online adds replay value to an already awesome multiplayer experience but at the same time its still very similar to the previous installments and isn't quite as awe inspiring as a result". Where as IGN has said that Mario Galaxy not only looks amazing, plays amazing, but because of the new worlds, gravity and the like, feels as fresh as Mario 64 did all those years ago. Thats why I think Galaxy has an edge on Smash when it comes to being a GOTY. Just my opinion though.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 06:26 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe the online component of Super Smash Brother's Brawl gives it that extra push ahead of Mario Galaxy for Game of The Year.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 06:52 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

both are going to be amazing

how bout that?

although galaxy looks amazing graphics-wise, SSBB is looking pretty good itself

thanks LifeInSepia, sig is AWESOME

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 07:15 PM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

i agree, both are on my list big grin

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 06:33 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by InnerRise
I believe the online component of Super Smash Brother's Brawl gives it that extra push ahead of Mario Galaxy for Game of The Year.

Well Nintendo has to SERIOUSLY beef up and perfect online play for the Wii for it to make a significant impact. Also, I don't think online is enough for Smash to make GOTY in the eyes of most reviews since online is old news for the other consoles...its just not that major of a thing now so I don't think that online is going to be the push that it needs to make GOTY. Galaxy on the other hand sports gameplay that has been called "platforming perfection" and "as fresh as Mario 64" and just recently "better then Mario 64" by IGN. Not to mention Galaxy is seemingly the best graphically rich Wii game by a landslide. I just don't think that Smash will be significantly different enough from the previous installments for major reviewers like Gamespot and IGN to give it Wii GOTY/ Overall GOTY. However, the gaming public will adore it (as will I) and it it will be immensely popular.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 12:14 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Well Nintendo has to SERIOUSLY beef up and perfect online play for the Wii for it to make a significant impact. Also, I don't think online is enough for Smash to make GOTY in the eyes of most reviews since online is old news for the other consoles...its just not that major of a thing now so I don't think that online is going to be the push that it needs to make GOTY. Galaxy on the other hand sports gameplay that has been called "platforming perfection" and "as fresh as Mario 64" and just recently "better then Mario 64" by IGN. Not to mention Galaxy is seemingly the best graphically rich Wii game by a landslide. I just don't think that Smash will be significantly different enough from the previous installments for major reviewers like Gamespot and IGN to give it Wii GOTY/ Overall GOTY. However, the gaming public will adore it (as will I) and it it will be immensely popular.
Sometimes the gaming public word is larger than the major reviewers though I think.

And for the gaming public, to finally play a Super Smash Brother's Game online will cause them to have a cocaine high.

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 05:07 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kero_Co
One Track Lover

I know I'll have a cocaine high, until I get beaten sober. Mario looks great(one of the few games that proves wii isn't a ps2 with a wiimote), and they increased the difficulty, which can only make it better. After seeing Mario,Metroid,and Smash Bros. and full wii glory I can't help but to wonder what Zelda would have looked like if they took advantage of Wii graphics.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 05:29 PM
Kero_Co is currently offline Click here to Send Kero_Co a Private Message Find more posts by Kero_Co Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Originally posted by InnerRise
Sometimes the gaming public word is larger than the major reviewers though I think.

And for the gaming public, to finally play a Super Smash Brother's Game online will cause them to have a cocaine high.

Yes, it is bigger, but the gaming public are not the ones who decide who gets the Game of the Year awards unfortunately. I could see Smash. getting "readers choice" on many of the major reviewer sites/ publications. As I said, I and everyone else will love it but I don't see it getting GOTY (Wii or Overall) from any publications even with online play. It just wont be different enough. Mario Galaxy is the front runner for Wii GOTY at the moment with Metroid Prime 3 close behind it. However Galaxy is the only one that seemingly has a shot at overall GOTY this year, which is a big feat considering whats coming out.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 03:36 PM
Tex
Yumsz

Cant wait for this one! Its been FOREVER since Sunshine.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 03:46 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Woo! Tex!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 12:11 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

laughing out loud
i agree with tex..
me needs new mario!!

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 06:34 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

and i just read that the Z button is going to be used in the same way as SUper Mario 64, which means the backflip is back and (my favorite) the long jump.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 11:25 AM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

yea

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 11:38 AM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Ive had an itch to play Sunshine lately, maybe I should pick it up.

Im so pumped for this game, looks like this, GTA, and Mass Effect will be my to games this year. stick out tongue

I like that some of the new trailers show some more space free levels that look more like 64.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 12:52 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

Originally posted by AstroFan
I like that some of the new trailers show some more space free levels that look more like 64.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 12:56 PM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

yeah that was pretty exiting

also suggests that there might be a "Yoshi Planet" or something of the sort

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 08:53 PM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

What? no expression

I must of missed that. Lets hope they use Yoshi better than they did in Sunshine if he really is back. lol

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 10:03 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

Originally posted by AstroFan
What? no expression

I must of missed that. Lets hope they use Yoshi better than they did in Sunshine if he really is back. lol

no, not saying anyone said anything about a yoshi planet, but I was saying that opens new opportunities, and possibly something like a yoshi planet

just speculation

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 10:05 PM
MadMel
Heh

maybe the yoshis are aliens, and they came to earth millions of years ago..they now just use yoshis island as a base on earth kinda thing :P

on second thought, that idea sucked

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 07:01 AM
Morridini
Morridini

Aren't the Yoshis surviving dinosaurs?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 07:56 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote