KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy
Started by: calvs

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3287): « First ... « 3274 3275 [3276] 3277 3278 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-kV-
[:::::{============)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lucius
They're finally making a kotor movie. I bet you it's going to be garbage.

It needs to be written by somebody who's played the game. And it needs to be either two or three films.

Film 1: Intro, Endar Spire, Taris, Dantooine, Jedi training montage, Tatooine, end with Calo Nord fight
Film 2: Kashyyyk, Manaan, Leviathan reveal as ending
Film 3: Korriban, Lehon, Star Forge, Finale

I suppose they could make it in 2 films if the films are long (2h45min) and they combine some parts.

No way it can be done in a single film.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post May 29th, 2019 06:12 PM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by CaveDude33211
Exactly. TOR is shit.

Eh vanilla TOR wasn't so bad.

That said, seems to me it's just gonna be a singular movie. Of course more could develop, but somehow I doubt it.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 06:44 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by -kV-
It needs to be written by somebody who's played the game. And it needs to be either two or three films.

Film 1: Intro, Endar Spire, Taris, Dantooine, Jedi training montage, Tatooine, end with Calo Nord fight

I suppose they could make it in 2 films if the films are long (2h45min) and they combine some parts.

Single season TV show, hour-long episodes, 13 episodes.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 09:00 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by -kV-

Here is the thing, just a straight adaptation of the game won't work well IMO. The game's plot plays like, well, a game. You go to this location get this item (Star Map), go to this location get this other item (another Star Map), etc... They need a more organic and less "gamey" reason to move the characters through these planets.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 09:52 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Single season TV show, hour-long episodes, 13 episodes.

Would be awesome if Disney+ did just that, but I'm just spitballing how it should go if done via film.

Originally posted by ares834
Here is the thing, just a straight adaptation of the game won't work well IMO. The game's plot plays like, well, a game. You go to this location get this item (Star Map), go to this location get this other item (another Star Map), etc... They need a more organic and less "gamey" reason to move the characters through these planets.

Marvel made a billion dollar grossing film about a guy who goes from planet to planet collecting stones. The Star Maps are fine to move the plot. It'll be everything else that's going to be difficult.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 10:10 PM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Apples and oranges in this regard. Sure, Infinity War has Thanos gathering the stones but it's done quickly over the course of one movie and there is a greater variety of how he does so then in KotOR.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 10:21 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-

Apples and oranges in this regard. Sure, Infinity War has Thanos gathering the stones but it's done quickly over the course of one movie and there is a greater variety of how he does so then in KotOR.

I mean, that's where the writers have to be creative. Unique set pieces/obstacles of how they get each map. There's plenty of other stuff going on in KOTOR that the maps would function just like how the stones were in Infinity War.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 10:31 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the problem of Revan. He doesn't actually have a character; he has a list of nonverbal, non-communicative script options that move other people. Disney would likely shorthand this into a Marvel protagonist clone: handsome, smart, quippy, always comes out on top. Bland.

Then there's the other characters. RPG NPCs by design have no agency, agency is the purview of the player character. Translating that into real-feeling screen characters would take quite a rewrite. Canderous and Jolee and Catwoman can't just sit around waiting for the protagonist, they need to do things of their own volition. And in a single movie, their isn't time to establish the universe and its rules, the backstory, the main characters, the stakes, and the ancillary characters. Something's gotta give and it'll be the characters first every time, followed by the stakes--they're the easiest thing to trim the top of.

There's too much story, too many characters, and too much rewritten translation needed for even a trilogy. To be good, it needs the time that a cinematic universe has (and only the MCU has pulled that off, there's no good second place contender)... or a television series.

My money would go to a series for something of quality.

Old Post May 30th, 2019 05:15 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-

Thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the problem of Revan. He doesn't actually have a character; he has a list of nonverbal, non-communicative script options that move other people. Disney would likely shorthand this into a Marvel protagonist clone: handsome, smart, quippy, always comes out on top. Bland.

Tbf, teasing people and making jokes is a bit of his default personality though. That's how the canon romance with Bastila plays out in the game. Plus, he found HK-47 (initially built sarcastic to begin with) calling Malak a meatbag funny enough that he reprogrammed him to call all organics that.

quote:
Then there's the other characters. RPG NPCs by design have no agency, agency is the purview of the player character. Translating that into real-feeling screen characters would take quite a rewrite. Canderous and Jolee and Catwoman can't just sit around waiting for the protagonist, they need to do things of their own volition. And in a single movie, their isn't time to establish the universe and its rules, the backstory, the main characters, the stakes, and the ancillary characters. Something's gotta give and it'll be the characters first every time, followed by the stakes--they're the easiest thing to trim the top of.

If it's done via film, I imagine some of the NPCs will take a complete backseat like some of the dwarves in the Hobbit films or Baze and Bodhi in Rogue One. They could just rectify this by eliminating some characters. For example, I think the plot could work just fine without Juhani. Jolee doesn't leave Kashyyyk to join the crew. Maybe Zaalbar (too much of a Chewie clone) dies early saving Mission on Taris, which motivates her to have a larger role in the Czerka revolt on Kashyyyk later. Carth/Dustil plot could play a heavy role as to how the group gets the map on Korriban. Calo could be written to have more of a backstory with Canderous.

They could also eliminate one of them planets altogether and/or combine its plot with another. We've seen Tatooine/desert planets so many times by now.

I think KOTOR is much easier to adapt into films than other games just because there are easy places to end the films and there are easy Macguffins to keep driving the plot forward.

quote:
There's too much story, too many characters, and too much rewritten translation needed for even a trilogy. To be good, it needs the time that a cinematic universe has (and only the MCU has pulled that off, there's no good second place contender)... or a television series.

My money would go to a series for something of quality. [/B]

I think three films that are 2h45 min long could do the trick, though obviously a 12-episode hour-long series is preferable.

Really, the bigger concern is if they'll have people who actually played the game help write the script.

Old Post May 30th, 2019 12:29 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Was just going through some of Ush's old posts here. He really policed the shit out of this place a few years back. Holy hell.

Also, lol @ him giving Ant a 3 month ban for...I don't know...critiquing his modding? Wow.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 30th, 2019 01:21 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gold slorg
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah, Ush was really kinda a dick lol

Old Post May 30th, 2019 02:55 PM
Click here to Send gold slorg a Private Message Find more posts by gold slorg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I forgot all about that. That had to of been like 2014ish?

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 30th, 2019 06:03 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Ant: "No one likes your modding, bruh."
Ush: "Gave moron a 3 month ban for 'aggressive moderator criticism'."

jfc.

Old Post May 30th, 2019 06:16 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Ushgarak was a cowardly *****, it's true.

He was also a necessary evil sometimes.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 30th, 2019 06:17 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

A lot of mods here used to really put themselves on a pedestal. I've noticed that even while browsing in the mod forums and whatnot.

Ush was the type of guy that did not like being questioned or disagreed with about any topic, ever. If you did disagree with him openly, the ban hammer would drop. He was very robotic and overly aggressive at times. Didn't get it then, still don't get it now.

That being said, he was like that to everyone(even other mods), so at least he didn't discriminate.

Old Post May 30th, 2019 06:26 PM
ares834

The best was when Neb created some sock account and modeled it after REXXX. He said something with the account and Janus (at least I think it was) thought it was actually REXXX and went on some tirade about the mods. Then Ush gave Janus a ban for the tirade. It was hilarious.

Old Post May 30th, 2019 07:16 PM
-kV-

I login a few days ago, and am still surprised to see faces from over a decade.

Old Post May 31st, 2019 07:08 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

We're pretty pathetic here, yeah.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 31st, 2019 07:12 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-

Originally posted by Tzeentch
We're pretty pathetic here, yeah.

I'm cringing right now reading over some of my PMs and posts from 2005-2009.

Old Post May 31st, 2019 07:15 PM
Lucius
Unknown

My money would go to a series for something of quality.

A good adaptation would distill the basic themes/story, but fill in holes where needed and cut a lot of the video gameness. Revan is the tragic hero character poisoned by war. War is corrosive and destroys people, not simply physically harming them, but emotionally breaking people down. The hero goes to war and comes back changed, driven by their hubris to engage in ultimately self-destructive behavior. It's not a complex plot, but it's a very old plot that's been retold because it works. Greeks did it almost 3000 years ago.

Sing o Goddess of the Rage of Achilles! (thanks high school!) Alhough Achilles wasn't really destroyed by war (Greeks thought war was glorious,) but his inability to control his anger, which was justified due to Agamemnon denying Achillies plunder.

Question is, can Disney find a writer who can make it work? You would think with their massive Scrooge McDuck pile of money, they could, but they also seem to **** up a lot with Star Wars. They did mention a TV series is also in the works potentially. Could be kind of cool to have a series focusing both on the Jedi in the Mandalorian Wars, but also on the otherwise nameless grunts getting chewed up in the trenches. Some of the best Clone Wars arcs involved clones unceremoniously getting shit done. Although Jedi are far from invincible, they don't face the same level of risk ordinary soldiers do.

Last edited by Lucius on Jun 9th, 2019 at 02:55 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2019 02:41 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote