KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy
Started by: calvs

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3287): « First ... « 3276 3277 [3278] 3279 3280 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Mandalorian up to episode 3 is really good.

I watched the Dathomir cutscenes of Fallen Order. Sorcery/magic is still a scourge on the Star Wars franchise but the game looks cool.

In other fandom news, the Sufficient Velocity threads temp-banned the author of a Worm / Phantom Menace crossover (Khepri + HK47 liberate slaves from tattooine) because of a 2-sentence joke about affirmative action for Gungans. I know that loose moderation is how places like KMC fill up with alt-right Edgelords but SV’s rule against being racist to fictional species seems like an overcorrection.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2019 08:09 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Shut up, nerd.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2019 03:06 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

And I've already lost interest in the Mandalorian.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2019 10:17 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

sup

Old Post Dec 15th, 2019 10:30 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lucius
And I've already lost interest in the Mandalorian.
Is it not woke and swoll enough for you? Not enough plushies?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2019 11:26 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I don't jive with the hate for the last episode (I thought the not!Seven Samurai episode with Gina Carrano was worse), but I think the blandness of Mando as a character combined with the episodic nature of the show is really taking its toll.

Like, there hasn't been any actual character development since episode... 3?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2019 04:29 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Whoa, assuming the leaks are accurate, my original idea for who Rey's parents are was right.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2019 08:29 AM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

She's Luke and Leia's child?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2019 04:50 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Whoa, assuming the leaks are accurate, my original idea for who Rey's parents are was right.
Splain now. I don't wanna wait two days.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 12:28 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Splain now. I don't wanna wait two days.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Rey is a direct descendent of Palpatine. He's her grandfather.

Last edited by Lucius on Dec 19th, 2019 at 05:37 AM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 05:35 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

But her parents really were drunks? All that talent kinda skipped a generation.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:17 AM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Movie was a lot of fun to watch.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: There's definitely a feeling like JJ wanted to ignore most of TLJ, and tried to fit his originally planned 2 movies into the runtime of episode 9. Most of what I have to say is just damning with faint praise. There were a few exciting moments but overall the film didn't quite hit the emotional mark that it was aiming at. They ask for more emotion out of the John Williams score than they do from any of the actors.

At the end of the day I think that JJ doesn't have any groundbreaking (or even Creative) ideas but he's proven himself capable of safely navigating a $400 Million Dollar film to an adequate conclusion so Hollywood is going to keep hiring him.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 05:00 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Goodie. Bland tripe is what I want all major releases to be. JJ doin the Lord's work.

I haven't seen it yet but all the critics seem to suggest this being a Meh of a Messy end. Not the trainwreck of a clusterf*ck I was hoping for. Disappointing.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 08:13 PM
Lucius
Unknown

Having actually saw it, I thought it was dumb as shit, but workable as mindless entertainment. I will probably forget about it and never watch it again. JJ Abrams couldn't write an interesting script if his life depended on it, but he's got good presentation.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 02:08 AM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Zamp
Movie was a lot of fun to watch.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: There's definitely a feeling like JJ wanted to ignore most of TLJ, and tried to fit his originally planned 2 movies into the runtime of episode 9. Most of what I have to say is just damning with faint praise. There were a few exciting moments but overall the film didn't quite hit the emotional mark that it was aiming at. They ask for more emotion out of the John Williams score than they do from any of the actors.

At the end of the day I think that JJ doesn't have any groundbreaking (or even Creative) ideas but he's proven himself capable of safely navigating a $400 Million Dollar film to an adequate conclusion so Hollywood is going to keep hiring him.

Having actually saw it, I thought it was dumb as shit, but workable as mindless entertainment. I will probably forget about it and never watch it again. JJ Abrams couldn't write an interesting script if his life depended on it, but he's got good presentation.

You two hit the nail on the head. It was highly effective popcorn entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

I've made my peace with the fact that Star Wars is a fun franchise, but one that produces very little by way of genuinely good material.

The last "great" movie this franchise produced was in 1980 and, honestly, I'd sooner rewatch the mediocre ROTS.

For every Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, there are three Revan or Bane novels.

The best part of watching TROS was realizing that Janus, Nai, and the rest of the Antediluvians who watched it had to suffer through Palpatine zapping the biggest goddamn starfleet in Star Wars history from his Sith recliner while muttering to themselves yeah ragnos couldve totes done that and rocking back and forth in their cinema chairs.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 04:58 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

I'd like to see a Joss Whedon trilogy Star Wars movie that takes place in a time period with no connection to the old or new republic.

People keep clamoring about Filoni due to the Mandalorian. But the Mandalorian is a simply someone trying to do CPR on what is otherwise a foot-in-the-grave franchise at this point. Filoni loves Star Wars and is very familiar with the material, but he crashed and burned during the latter half of Rebels (Ezra's darkside subplot built up the entire second season vanishes out of thin air with ZERO explanation in the third season, Kanan's blindness gets resolved in one episode like its no big deal, Maul goes out on a good note but is otherwise completed wasted, Thrawn is wasted, lame ass bendu-ex-machina, and a bunch of boring ass filler episodes that I don't even remember), so I don't trust him to do a whole trilogy.

Last edited by Dark-Kenshin on Dec 23rd, 2019 at 05:25 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 05:19 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighter332
Jake Skywalker

Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
I'd like to see a Joss Whedon trilogy Star Wars movie that takes place in a time period with no connection to the old or new republic.

People keep clamoring about Filoni due to the Mandalorian. But the Mandalorian is a simply someone trying to do CPR on what is otherwise a foot-in-the-grave franchise at this point. Filoni loves Star Wars and is very familiar with the material, but he crashed and burned during the latter half of Rebels (Ezra's darkside subplot built up the entire second season vanishes out of thin air with ZERO explanation in the third season, Kanan's blindness gets resolved in one episode like its no big deal, Maul goes out on a good note but is otherwise completed wasted, Thrawn is wasted, lame ass bendu-ex-machina, and a bunch of boring ass filler episodes that I don't even remember), so I don't trust him to do a whole trilogy.

thumb up

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 07:55 PM
Click here to Send Lighter332 a Private Message Find more posts by Lighter332 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighter332
Jake Skywalker

I'd be cool with more Star Wars movies - just not from Disney.

I don't support any "star wars" project created by them.

I find the manufactured "Baby Yoda" craze insulting to our intelligence as fans.

They screwed over Luke Skywalker - but oh look, guys! It's Baby Yoda? Isn't he so cute?

Let's forget what Disney did to Luke and forgive them for destroying the OT's legacy.

Yeah, no.

I don't support The Mandalorian because it's a cheap trick that is insulting to all fans.

If another company buys the Star Wars franchise and wants to make a Boba Fett or Jango Fett or Canderous Ordo series - that would be great.

But no shitty Disney knock-offs - especially when it's just to sponge money from us.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 07:58 PM
Click here to Send Lighter332 a Private Message Find more posts by Lighter332 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighter332
Jake Skywalker

Originally posted by Tzeentch
She's Luke and Leia's child?

That would explain the Down Syndrome.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 08:09 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I've only seen RoS once, and I was completely hammered, but I came out of the theater with an overall positive feeling on the movie. I think it was a lot better then it had any right to be coming after TLJ.

Yes, the movie completely retcons TLJ. You could literally watch TFA and skip to ROS and barring one or two things you wouldn't be lost on anything at all.

Yes, the movie was acceptable but bland. If you were expecting anything else after TLJ I would honestly be surprised. For one thing JJ's entire reputation as a director is making safe media. The only reason he was given Star Wars was because of his work on Star Trek. And what did he do with Star Trek? He took a dying franchise that was slipping out of the public consciousness and made movies so perfectly "okay" that it revived interest in the franchise. That's what he was brought in to do with Star Wars. Coax over the public outrage toward the dogshit prequels, create a blank canvas for others to work on, and then hand over the reins to someone else. Disney didn't calculate Rian ****ing up the franchise so badly though, so JJ had to come back to coax over the fanbase a second time. He's basically the king of fan service.

And it worked, for me at least. By the time we got to the ending of the movie I was thinking to myself "you know, I'd be interested in seeing more Star Warsy stuff now that this story is concluded". I had the exact opposite feeling after TLJ. If no Star Wars media had ever been created again I would have been perfectly fine with it.

Last edited by Tzeentch on Dec 23rd, 2019 at 08:44 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 08:30 PM