KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Atheist morality

Atheist morality
Started by: Darth Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Regret
One Among Many

Morality -

A capacity to
1) distinguish right from wrong
2) act on this distinction, and
3) experience pride in virtuous conduct and guilt or shame over acts that violate one's standards

Supported psychoanalytic thoughts. Current theories state that conscience may begin in toddlers if they have warm and responsive parents. This occurs through committed compliance. Where a child will has high motivation to comply with the parent's wishes, is sensitive to whether the parent gives some body language type signal that they have done right or wrong, and internalize those reactions as pride, shame, guilt to help them evaluate and control their own behavior.

Cognitive-Developmental theories state that morality is learned. Initially a child follows no rules. Eventually rules are absolute as a child comes into contact with rules set up by authorities (parents, police, etc.) Finally, children learn that rules are flexible depending on the situation. Kohlberg expanded on this, but the theory follows a similar course that is more complex. Learning Theory says morality is learned by contact with the consequences of actions.

Morality has been shown a number of times to be controlled by the upbringing of a child. Poor upbringing results in a poor level of moral maturity. Good upbringing results in a good level of moral maturity.

Psychology today does believe that experience and learning plays the major role in morality and conscience development. It is a fact. There is little support there for the idea that they are inborn into a person. There may be something there, but without the proper raising there is no reason to believe that such a child would grow to have a conscience or a moral structure as we view morality.

Issues with children having grown in the wild. During one of my psychology courses we discussed Victor of Aveyron, the professor was a developmental psychologist of fairly strong reputation, he mentioned that the documentation is fairly decent and that it is probable that Victor really did exist.

Also someone mentioned the girl being raised in a solitary cell. Her father was the only one to enter the room, and only to give her food, she was bound to a chair. He only grunted and gestured at her, no language was presented to her. She was unable to learn language at a decent level after she was discovered. I am unable to remember the exact references for this, but she does exist. I do not recall any studies with her outside of language. They did not want her to be just a subject to be poked and prodded.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 05:51 AM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

do you wanna cite that?

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 06:04 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Re: Atheist morality

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Is there such a thing?

Yes, it is called Humanism or Secular Humanism.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 06:18 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Regret
Morality -

A capacity to
3) experience pride in virtuous conduct and guilt or shame over acts that violate one's standards

Supported psychoanalytic thoughts. Current theories state that conscience may begin in toddlers if they have warm and responsive parents. This occurs through committed compliance. Where a child will has high motivation to comply with the parent's wishes, is sensitive to whether the parent gives some body language type signal that they have done right or wrong, and internalize those reactions as pride, shame, guilt to help them evaluate and control their own behavior.

Cognitive-Developmental theories state that morality is learned. Initially a child follows no rules. Eventually rules are absolute as a child comes into contact with rules set up by authorities (parents, police, etc.) Finally, children learn that rules are flexible depending on the situation. Kohlberg expanded on this, but the theory follows a similar course that is more complex. Learning Theory says morality is learned by contact with the consequences of actions.

Morality has been shown a number of times to be controlled by the upbringing of a child. Poor upbringing results in a poor level of moral maturity. Good upbringing results in a good level of moral maturity.

Psychology today does believe that experience and learning plays the major role in morality and conscience development. It is a fact. There is little support there for the idea that they are inborn into a person. There may be something there, but without the proper raising there is no reason to believe that such a child would grow to have a conscience or a moral structure as we view morality.

Issues with children having grown in the wild. During one of my psychology courses we discussed Victor of Aveyron, the professor was a developmental psychologist of fairly strong reputation, he mentioned that the documentation is fairly decent and that it is probable that Victor really did exist.

Yes, people learn by error and consequences.......In society when a person is shunned because of unacceptable behavior, then have 2 choices......leave or change....Or stay shunned.....It is cognitive...........I don't believe people are born with morals......It's learned.

Last edited by debbiejo on Jun 6th, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 11:35 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

This appears to be wrenching off-topic too much. Whilst the idea of whether morals are in-built or acquired may get a mention in a thread asking about how atheists can have morals, it shouldn't become the main point of discussion- that would warrant a thread of its own.

Let's try and bring this back to the atheists please.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 11:40 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Alliance
do you wanna cite that?

I will respond to this because I believe citation to be important, and then if someone starts a thread as Ushgarak suggested PM me and I may join that discussion. I will respect the Moderator though, and not post off topic material following this post.

I will add the citations that I feel are pertinent. If you need more I can look up some.

Morality -

A capacity to

Quinn, R.A., Houts, A.C., & Graesser, A.C. (1994). Naturalistic conceptions of morality: A question-answering approach. Journal of Personality, 62, 260-267.

Shaffer, D.R. (1994). Do naturalistic conceptions of morality provide any [novel] answers? Journal of Personality, 62, 263-268.

Emde, R.N., Biringer, Z., Clyman, R.B., & Oppenheim, D. (1991). The moral self of infancy: Affective core and procedural knowledge. Developmental Review, 11, 251-270.

Kochanska, G. (1997). Mutuallyresponsive orientation between mothers and their young children: Implications for early socialization. CHild Development, 68, 94-112.

Kochanska's article in Developmental Psychology from the same year is also an interesting read.

Labile, D.J., & Thompson, R.A. (2000). Mother-child discourse, attachment security,shared positive affect, and early conscience development. Child Development, 71, 1424-1440.

Piaget, J. (1926). The language and thought of the child. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World.
Piaget, J. (1950). The psychology of intelligerice. San Diego, CA: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
Piaget, J. (1951). Play dreams, and imitation in childhood. New York: Norton.
Piaget, J. (1952). The origins of intelligence in chil_dren. New York: International Universities Press.
Piaget, J. (1954). The construction of reality in the child. New York: Basic Books.
Piaget, J. (1960). Psychology of intelligence. Paterson, NJ: Littlefield, Adams.
Piaget, J. (1965). The moral judgment of the child. New York: Free Press. (Original work pub_lished 1932.)
Piaget, J. (1970a, May). A conversation with Jean Piaget. Psychology Today pp.25-32.
Piaget, J. (1970b). Piaget's theory. In P H. Mussen (Ed.), Carmichael's manual of child psy_chology (Vol.1). New York: Wiley.
Piaget, J. (1971). Science of education and the psy_chology of the child. New York: Viking Press.
Piaget, J. (1972). Intellectual evolution from adolescence to adulthood. Human Development; 15, 1-12.
Piaget, J. (1976). To understand is to invent: The future of education. New York: Penguin.
Piaget J. (1977). The role of action in the devel_opment of thinking. In W. F. Overton & J. M. Gallagher (Eds.), Knowledge and development (Vol.1). New York: Plenum.
Piaget, J., & Inhelder, B. (1969). The psychology of the child. New York: Basic Books.

If you would like Kohlberg's stuff let me know, but it is mainly just evolving to a better model of moral development, and does not really add to the idea that morality and conscience are somehow "built-in".

As for learning theory, we just believe that everything is as my sig states. There is no need for further reference into behavioral work. Behavior says everything is due to the consequences of prior behavior, with very few, if any, genetic predispositions built into humans. Morality is one that would not be "built-in" in the majority of behavior analyst's opinions.

Hoffman, M.L. (1970). Moral development. In P.H. Mussen (Ed.) Carmichael's manual of child psychology (Vol. 2). New York: Wiley.

This is my statement based on my education and the above information.

Also someone mentioned the girl being raised in a solitary cell. Her father was the only one to enter the room, and only to give her food, she was bound to a chair. He only grunted and gestured at her, no language was presented to her. She was unable to learn language at a decent level after she was discovered. I am unable to remember the exact references for this, but she does exist. I do not recall any studies with her outside of language. They did not want her to be just a subject to be poked and prodded.

I am sorry, I can't remember the name of the girl, if I could I would have an easy time getting the references for her. I will try to remember her name, if I come up with the references I will get them to you. As for Victor, we never went into the references, and I am unsure as to where to find them, I would suggest looking him up by name and going from there.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 06:35 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

I beleive Morality to be both subjective and intuitive.

Yes, like Debbiejo said much of our morality is LEARNED...either by religion, and even in the case of Athiesm you learn from your influences (freinds, peers, etc) until you finally come up with a morality of your own.

However, I also beleive that there are certain aspects of morality that are innate, and not learned. I think there is a common morality that more than one person can share, without understanding why they think this way.

For example: I beleive that it is UNDENIABLY IMMORAL to torture another person for your own pleasure. I am not talking S&M, because the "victim" enjoys the torture, therefore it is not torture. I am talking about a crime....where one person inflicts unbearable pain onto his or her unwilling victim.

Was I taught to think this? No...this is just how I feel about it. No one ever taught me that this was evil, this is something I always felt was wrong, regardless of anyone's input, and the decision NEVER changed nor will it EVER change. Sorry. AND not to mention that there are TONS of people who feel the same exact way about the issue. WHY?

I think as humans we are social beings, and it is a natural desire to enjoy each other's company and work together to ensure our survival and pleasure. When a person harms another person, it is usually motivated by self survival. However, when a person harms another person for no other reason than pleasure....i feel that is abnormal, dangerous, and most likely an act of insanity. And I am one of many people who think this way.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 04:51 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kritish
-------------

I have personal morals, like I don't drop kick babies and rape goats.

Truth be told, I'd probally rob a bank if I thought I'd get away with it.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 05:53 PM
Kritish is currently offline Click here to Send Kritish a Private Message Find more posts by Kritish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Urizen, did you even look at what I said? You didn't even attempt to mention atheism there.

Seriously, if you want to talk about whether morals are innate or learned, open a thread for it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 07:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eis
androgynous mind

no its not, but then why does a child's dog go up and lick that child when its is crying?

Because it learns that... They learn to love, I'm not saying animals are incapable of loving but it's not something... genetic. If a dog is born and it is kept in isolation with no contact with animals or humans until he's 3 years old and then you take him out of isolation and the dog sees a little kid crying, do you seriously believe it'll automatically feel compasion for him and go lick his face? No. It's illogical.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 10:23 AM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Ohhhhhhh everyone knows Atheists don't have morals.......It says so right here in the bible....
Along with uncircumcised, pork eating heretics......

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:11 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

and every one else whose not even vaguely "Christian"

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 01:57 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

If what you say is true, then how is their morality "wrong" as it is all societal determenation anyway. Therefore, since its all societal reletavism, you can't really condemn them.

that is true. atleast partially in the mind of the individual. but lets not forget that no matter what their COMPREHENSION, the outcome of THEIR MORALITY is most definately destructive and hurtful to anuy human who has recieved the nurturing and instinctual common sense that humans are meant to atleast genetically have. that in my mind is what makes it WRONG. its not all reletive because for a simpal fact that human beings do NOT like being treated badly, be hurt physically, be raped murdered etc. now as far as the problem of GENETIC morality as sum1 mentioned it before goes. i say that the fealing of love, caing etc are only genetically present in family's and sumtimes in lovers, other than that any normal MORALITY eg, perverted sexual behavious invasion of privacy, socially unacceptable behavious etc is NOT part of any higher or genetic/mysicaly or INHERITED morality.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 03:24 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Somewhere there is someone that thinks that another's morality is immoral from their point of view, same goes for Christians, Atheists, Altruists, Feminists, Misogynists, Sadomasochists, Satanists, Racists, Polygamists, Monogamists, Humanists, etc., etc... Somebody somewhere thinks you and I are immoral, keep them happy and maintain their beliefs big grin

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 03:25 PM
Kritish
-------------

Nobody expects me to have any morals, I might as well please them and drop kick babies.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 03:30 PM
Kritish is currently offline Click here to Send Kritish a Private Message Find more posts by Kritish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Rob
The Leading Man

Is there such a thing? Apparently, most Americans don't think so:

"A new study by the Minnesota Department of Sociology found, according to its researchers, that 'Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other MINORITY GROUPS in "sharing their vision of American society." Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.'"

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2006/05/04/views4.html
they're below me? Damn

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man."

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 07:56 PM
Black Rob is currently offline Click here to Send Black Rob a Private Message Find more posts by Black Rob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Rob
The Leading Man

Originally posted by Kritish
Nobody expects me to have any morals, I might as well please them and drop kick babies.
they go really far...

yeah i'm going to hell...

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man."

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 07:57 PM
Black Rob is currently offline Click here to Send Black Rob a Private Message Find more posts by Black Rob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Whats more amusing than a flying, crying, broken baby?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:27 PM
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Ushgarak
This appears to be wrenching off-topic too much. Whilst the idea of whether morals are in-built or acquired may get a mention in a thread asking about how atheists can have morals, it shouldn't become the main point of discussion- that would warrant a thread of its own.

Let's try and bring this back to the atheists please.

Ushgarak....that's what you don't get. There are people like Adam Poe who are argue that morals do not exist. Therefore if we simply accept his argument as to avoid a change in subject, then it may derail the debate in another direction.

If we are talking about Athiest Morality then I beleive we have to be under the common assumption that morality DOES exist. Whether or not it is independent of religion is a whole other story.

That's basically all I was trying to get across, I didn't mean to get off topic.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 08:24 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Lord Urizen
There are people like Adam Poe who are argue that morals do not exist.

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

quote:

[Atheist morality] Is there such a thing?

Yes, it is called Humanism or Secular Humanism.

****tard.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 02:26 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote