KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Cyclops' eye blasts...

Cyclops' eye blasts...
Started by: Punkyhermy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Unknown
Anomaly

I don't know about the more recent issues, but in the original comics, he could use his eye blasts to propel him upwards to reach a great height.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 03:21 AM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

quote: (post)
Originally posted by peejayd
* actually, there is a slight kickback when Cyke fires a blast... look here, Cyke discharges a huge blast, and he was lietrally thrown back because of the force... wink
your right Scott moves back an bit.which explains why he always places one foot in front before firing.the only way to be sure is to find Stan lee or an hard core cyclops fan

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 04:51 AM
PsyrenAviance is currently offline Click here to Send PsyrenAviance a Private Message Find more posts by PsyrenAviance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

Originally posted by The Unknown
I don't know about the more recent issues, but in the original comics, he could use his eye blasts to propel him upwards to reach a great height.

Really? I have read a lot of Cyclops stuff, and i can't remember that at all. Can you say which issues this has happened, or if not, what the story was about? I'd be interested to read that. One issue that comes to mind for me is a Wolverine (from the original ongoing) issue 103-ish. Cyke is tossed down a pit by one of Ozymandias' minions, and he tries to use his blasts as a "retrorocket" (i think those were the words her thought as well) to slow his fall.....but couldn't.....

My interpretation of Cyke's blasts are a mix of the Marvel Sources as well as what he has done in the comics themselves. I believe that the blasts are extradimensional energy, and his whole body (with the eyes as the primary focus) stores this up. When he releases this energy, it does not have to conform with the normal MU laws....

....hence he can sometimes knock people/objects back, pulverise them, bounce them off mirror/glass (he's even blasted off stone surfaces before), cut through things.....at the end of the day, i think his control over what he wants to do with his blasts is up to him.

So....if this energy is non-Einsteinian, does it cause a kickback on Scott? That's one for the fan to interpret for themselves i think. But i will say that in the all new all different X-Men (issue 94), when Cyclops' powers came back after he got away from Krakoa (although this story has been retconned now), he couldn't control his blasts and was thrown back off his feet due to the force of the blasts. And in THEORY (this is theory because recent events in Deadly Genesis throw doubt into it), that is why he had to have a new visor built.

I personally feel he does get a kickback from the blasts, but has learnt to control them over the years.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 12:49 AM
yestinchong is currently offline Click here to Send yestinchong a Private Message Find more posts by yestinchong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

And to finish off my Cyke mini-essay, i'll give some cool examples of how he has used his powers over the years:

- In very early X-Men issues, he cuts a cake for Jean, focusses a beam down to pop a very small mechanism on a bomb, and knocks Thor's hammer out of his hand (albeit while Thor ain't ready for it).

- In the Hidden Years run, he manages to clear out a whole forest while their ship is about crash land (similar to what he did in Astonishing X-Men issue 8). He also blasts a several hundred yard trench upwards into a mountain-like structure, so people can escape from a volcano's lava run.

- Uncanny X-Men ~127-ish. He sees Wolverine falling off a cliff and pulse blasts him in the back such that Logan doesn't splat on the ground! Cyclops figured only Wolverine could withstand the blasts in the first place.

- An unvisored and Brood infected Cyclops knocks out Colossus. He also flattens Piotr and several other "tank" characters in Asgardian Wars.

- X-Factor original run: issue 28-ish. Focusses a beam staright through Blob's arm. Ouch! He also causes Blob pain in earlier run by blasting his hand, such that Freddy drops Rusty Collins (or someone).

- X-Factor 40-ish: he blasts Nanny, to which her comment is that if unchecked, the force would carry her out into the stratosphere. In issue 14, he single-handedly takes down a crazy Master Mold. Even though he's a bit starkers in that issue (as in mad), you can see the soldier in Cyke here brilliantly.

- Sabertooth one-shot: pencil beams a blast to break a doorlock.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 01:00 AM
yestinchong is currently offline Click here to Send yestinchong a Private Message Find more posts by yestinchong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

More more more....

- Uncanny 120-ish: when Arcade has the team captured, Cyke fires a single blast without even thinking and scores a successful multi-bounce that takes out everything in the room excpet him and Nightcrawler. A simlar feat was achieved in X-Men volume 2 when he and Wolverine storm Genosha and Scott knocks out all the gunmens' weapons with a bouncing beam.

- In that very same issue, he also scores a three (or was it two?) off the wall hit that KOs Blob and Random.

- Uncanny 330-ish: Onslaught saga - and almighty blast damages Onslaught's armour. The very next issue (?338) shows him pulverising his alarm clock and bouncing beams off mirrors.

- X-Factor 75-ish. He disintegrates Apocalypse in one impressive (but yellow looking) blast. Top that!

- X-Men Unlimited issue 1: one blast cuts the Blackbird in half.....that was a sweet scene.....

- Uncanny X-Men ~155. Yet another multi-bounce hit that, instead of being absorbed by Sebastian Shaw, knocks him off his feet, then allowing Colossus a chance to chuck the guy into a river (and swimming back would drain his kinetic stores).

- Uncanny 166/167? Scott uses a small amount of energy to pot every ball on a pool table in one go....

There's plenty of good examples of Cyclops using his powers in innovative ways out there.....

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 01:09 AM
Disappear

Originally posted by yestinchong
My interpretation of Cyke's blasts are a mix of the Marvel Sources as well as what he has done in the comics themselves. I believe that the blasts are extradimensional energy, and his whole body (with the eyes as the primary focus) stores this up. When he releases this energy, it does not have to conform with the normal MU laws....

....hence he can sometimes knock people/objects back, pulverise them, bounce them off mirror/glass (he's even blasted off stone surfaces before), cut through things.....at the end of the day, i think his control over what he wants to do with his blasts is up to him.

the power is not stored within him, as it is with havok, but simply uses his eyes as a conduit through which to enter this plane of existence. like havok, however, his entire body does metabolize a rather background form of energy [ambient, solar, cosmic, whatever,] but to different means. cyke powers his interdimensional apertures, havok simply holds the to-be plasma within him.

i believe the accepted rule of thumb, at least in terms of what has and has not happened in comics, for the "ricochet" is that the width of the beam and the density of the struck object are the major factors. for example, a thin beam striking a larger, solid object has a much better chance of bending backward than does a wider beam. imagine, in analogy, throwing a pencil at a wall. then throwing a tree at it. however, a thin beam will not always ricochet, because it must face some sort of solid resistance. the blob's shoulder is one example.

a larger blast seems to carry more of a wave effect, knocking back everything in its path. if you were to think of the energy as photons, imagine the ease with which a stream of photons, rushing forward at the speed of light, can and does simply bounce backward. but if those individual photons were to be caught in a much larger stream, their individual chances of being knocked back are lost as they become swept up in the tide. the sentinel scene, "i want that thing off my lawn," is a good example of this principle, whereas the scene from uncanny x-men annual 16 [in which a thin beam rebounded several times around a concrete sewer] is a decent example of the other half. perhaps, in terms of pure directional force, bigger is better.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 01:15 AM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

I agree that it seems to be the case that the thinner blasts tend to be the ones that ricochet more. Another interesting interpretation is how his blasts react when hitting rubyquartz. When Cameron Hodge wore a suit of rubyquartz armour (plus the Right goons), the beams ricocheted. Yet in an issue of Unlimited (about issue 40 of the first volume), when Scott is attacked by mercenaries, their armour appears to absorb the blast.

I also agree that Cyclops and Havok have very different energy stores. In Uncanny X-Men annual issue 4, Scott manages to absorb Storm's lightning bolts and convert them into optic energy. The analogy there was quoted as something like, "A fine petrol engine running on crude diesel" - although i probably got that wrong! A lot of earlier issues stated that Havok had potentially more power than Cyclops - however, this is a bit like saying Iceman is potentially the most powerful of the X-Men - yes, it's true, but it doesn't mean it has been realised yet. In terms of pure energy, i personally believe Scott has the edge Alex.

A few other examples i thought of:

- In his recent mini-series, Scott manages to puncture a fuel tank mid-somersault, causing the petrol to ignite and blow the car up. Precision aim.

- In a Marvel Comics Presents mini called "Retribution", Cyke once again fights Master Mold, and sytematically knocks off bits of armour and limb. This is while he's infected with a life threatening virus and his powers keep conking out on him.

- There's an issue in Uncanny which i can't remember the number to, but when Cyke is training in the Danger Room, he successfully scores yet another multi-bounce beam (and it's thin too) to hit the switch to turn off the simulation.

- Same kinda thing in God Loves, Man Kills, but this time he KOs Prof X.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 06:51 AM
botcherby

thats why cyclops rules

thanks for all that info yestinchong

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 04:54 PM
botcherby is currently offline Click here to Send botcherby a Private Message Find more posts by botcherby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

No problems - talking about Cyclops and his blasts is something i enjoy. I was thinking of a few more examples:

- Everyone knows about the end of the Inferno Saga: Cyclops makes a skeleton out of Mr. Sinister. Lots of people wonder if this was a ruse by Sinister though.....take your pick folks.

- When, in the Proteus saga Banshee is engulfed and dropped into the ground (and Proteus taunts the X-Men by making the overlying ground transparent), Scott blasts directly down....making a trench several dozen feet literally in a matter of seconds. He was also considerate enough not to pulverise Sean in the process!

- UXM ~110-ish. When a fake Angel pulls off Cyke's visor, he lets rip at Colossus. Although Piotr stands up to the blast, in his own mind he is thinking to himself, "The blasts are beginning to burn through my skin!". Again, i probably haven't remembered the quote 100%, but it definitely has that gist.

- X-Factor 70 or so. Another four bouncer, this time taking out Apocalype's Dark Riders, and also shunting them into place such that Archangel can make a sneak attack. Those blasts can really be a useful tool.

- -UXM 178-ish. After almost getting eaten by a shark, Cyclops KOs it whilst it's still in the water, and then gets grabbed by a giant squid. He subsequently blasts poor squiddy at point blank range.....anyone for seafood?

- X-Men issue 50: point blank blast eliminates Post, Onslaught's first emissary. Bear in mind here that Storm, Iceman and Wolverine couldn't hurt this guy as much as Cyke.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 09:08 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

Really? I have read a lot of Cyclops stuff, and i can't remember that at all. Can you say which issues this has happened, or if not, what the story was about? I'd be interested to read that.

I can't right now, but I'll try to later. In the earlier issues, he also can use his blasts to cushion stuff. I'm not sure, but I think in the early issues when fighting Mekano Man, I think he cushioned falling machinery.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 09:34 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

One issue that comes to mind for me is a Wolverine (from the original ongoing) issue 103-ish. Cyke is tossed down a pit by one of Ozymandias' minions, and he tries to use his blasts as a "retrorocket" (i think those were the words her thought as well) to slow his fall.....but couldn't.....

That sounds like it would be a bad idea anyway. He'd spin around like one of those fireworks nailed to the stick.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 10:37 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botcherby

alex has figured out to retrorocket in austen's run... hes never used it since...

cyclops also used his blasts to slow his desent during his original manifestation of his powers when he fell out the plane... am I correct?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 10:09 PM
botcherby is currently offline Click here to Send botcherby a Private Message Find more posts by botcherby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

Originally posted by botcherby
alex has figured out to retrorocket in austen's run... hes never used it since...

cyclops also used his blasts to slow his desent during his original manifestation of his powers when he fell out the plane... am I correct?

Yeah, this is what Sinister told him during the Inferno saga (i think). I guess he and Alex together were probably lighter than Scott as an adult, plus the damaged chute was still providing some wind resistance for them.

Hell, i think it would be cool if his blasts were capable of pushing him up in the air, but it really doesn't get shown much in the comics. And when you think about it a bit more, it doesn't seem practical either....i mean, he'd have to constantly keep looking down to get any uplift, and i dead to think how he'd steer himself in the air.....

"Hey Scott! Turn left!"

(Scott turns his head to the right to achieve this and subsequently destroys a school and all it's young and innocent children)

"Oops, i meant look left".

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 01:30 AM
stickman618

what if a creature, from this extradimension where his optic blasts originate,
were to come out of his eyes laughing

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 12:41 PM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote

- X-Factor 75-ish. He disintegrates Apocalypse in one impressive (but yellow looking) blast. Top that!

Holy crap. Can you post a scan of this please?

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 01:17 PM
#1101 is currently offline Click here to Send #1101 a Private Message Find more posts by #1101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

- Everyone knows about the end of the Inferno Saga: Cyclops makes a skeleton out of Mr. Sinister. Lots of people wonder if this was a ruse by Sinister though.....take your pick folks.

* the "ruse"-rant was only made by mr.Sinister... i really think he was disintegrated by the blasts and took a hell of a time to recover and regenerate himself... wink

Old Post Nov 6th, 2006 02:03 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega-level

Originally posted by peejayd
* the "ruse"-rant was only made by mr.Sinister... i really think he was disintegrated by the blasts and took a hell of a time to recover and regenerate himself... wink

Or he was disintegrated, but came back. Since we know that every time one of his Marauders dies, there's already a clone with a complete consciousness and his memories waiting, it would be illogical if did not had a "back-up plan" for himself.

But it maybe just a ruse.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2006 03:37 PM
Omega-level is currently offline Click here to Send Omega-level a Private Message Find more posts by Omega-level Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

i thought he got his powers from the sun

and that energy was converted into his optic blast

what issue was it revealed that it actually came from another dimension?

Last edited by stickman618 on Nov 7th, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 12:01 PM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yestinchong

Originally posted by #1101
Holy crap. Can you post a scan of this please?

I wish i could, but i don't own a scanner. I can tell you a little bit about the scene though.

This issue was the end of the run where X-Factor (who are the original X-Men) take on Apocalypse on the moon. Black Bolt and the Inhumans are about to assist as well, and old Poccy is pretty damn huge....

Scott plans for X-Factor to be captured --> they subsequently get rescued by the Inhumans as he planned, and then he blasts away the conduits that are power feeding Poccy. Jean helps Scott fight Poccy on the Astral Plane (there is a comment in there about how Scott lost his 1st battle on the Astral Plane to Mastermind) - and as Scott re-merges back into the real world, he lets rip into Acpocalypse and wipes him out. I dunno if it's just my copy (as it was a reprint) or if the original issue has the blast as yellow in colour, but that was how i saw it.

Towards the end of that issue you can read Scott's monologue thinking where he says something like, "I should check the remnants to check that he (Poccy) is gone for good - but i don't care". He's too pre-occupied in caring for Nathan who has been infected with the TO-virus....and ultimately this is the issue where Scott makes a large sacrifice and sends Nathan into the future.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2006 01:08 AM
Face

Cyclops strongest blast was against Onslaught which made a crack in his psionic armour made larger by Sue from F4 and even larger by Thors hammer attack

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:58 PM
Face is currently offline Click here to Send Face a Private Message Find more posts by Face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote