KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why so little fanfiction?

Why so little fanfiction?
Started by: littleredhat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scarecrow756
The Joker

What does everyone think of my Batman script?

"STARTING TONIGHT PEOPLE WILL DIE.. I`M A MAN OF MY WORD"-
THE JOKER- THE DARK KNIGHT TEASER TRAILER

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 09:05 PM
Scarecrow756 is currently offline Click here to Send Scarecrow756 a Private Message Find more posts by Scarecrow756 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

quote: (post)
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I disagree. I've seen fan-fics that are better than the ones that are published by professionals.

Comic fan-fiction can be just as good as any other fan-fiction. erm

For every single good story there's 9000 Superman/Batman love stories.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 09:55 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jumpmann
Glower of Eyes

Originally posted by Scarecrow756
What does everyone think of my Batman script?

its long!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 11:37 PM
jumpmann is currently offline Click here to Send jumpmann a Private Message Find more posts by jumpmann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
For every single good story there's 9000 Superman/Batman love stories.

You think thats bad....

I was once tracing through an ok 'Carnage takes over Mary Jane' story and found a Wolverine/Spidey Yaoi .

My BRAIN turned to mush.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:49 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarecrow756
The Joker

Originally posted by jumpmann
its long!

I might be turning it into a low buget film.

"STARTING TONIGHT PEOPLE WILL DIE.. I`M A MAN OF MY WORD"-
THE JOKER- THE DARK KNIGHT TEASER TRAILER

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 06:58 AM
Scarecrow756 is currently offline Click here to Send Scarecrow756 a Private Message Find more posts by Scarecrow756 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Private Pion

Originally posted by grey fox
You think thats bad....

I was once tracing through an ok 'Carnage takes over Mary Jane' story and found a Wolverine/Spidey Yaoi .

My BRAIN turned to mush.

....*BANG. Head explodes.*

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:18 AM
Private Pion is currently offline Click here to Send Private Pion a Private Message Find more posts by Private Pion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
littleredhat

From what I've seen alot of comic fanfiction doesn't seem to be purely fanfic.

Alot of it is written with the idea that it could be somthing grander like a movie or a real comic book.

This is the worst type of fanfiction in my opinion because its not really fanfiction. Not that their is anything wrong with making your own movies or comics.

In fact I would love to see more comic fan movies and fan comics but it makes for awfull fanfics.

Like when they write the whole thing in screenplay format. Yuck. Thats not a fanfic. They should be written like a novel or a short story.

I read fanfiction for around ten years so I know what I'm talking about.

It's not like thier is any shortage of ideas if you look at the message boards comic fans are extremly creative.

But for the life of me if they seem scared to death of writting a harmless little story.

For you guys that are writing even if you suck thank you.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 12:31 PM
littleredhat is currently offline Click here to Send littleredhat a Private Message Find more posts by littleredhat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by littleredhat
From what I've seen alot of comic fanfiction doesn't seem to be purely fanfic.

Alot of it is written with the idea that it could be somthing grander like a movie or a real comic book.

This is the worst type of fanfiction in my opinion because its not really fanfiction. Not that their is anything wrong with making your own movies or comics.

In fact I would love to see more comic fan movies and fan comics but it makes for awfull fanfics.

Like when they write the whole thing in screenplay format. Yuck. Thats not a fanfic. They should be written like a novel or a short story.

I read fanfiction for around ten years so I know what I'm talking about.

It's not like thier is any shortage of ideas if you look at the message boards comic fans are extremly creative.

But for the life of me if they seem scared to death of writting a harmless little story.

For you guys that are writing even if you suck thank you.

Do you mean people are obsessed with writing seven chapter stories , instead of one shots ?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 01:37 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Personally, I enjoy writing original stories about my own characters much more than writing about someone else's stuff.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 02:15 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Mindship
Personally, I enjoy writing original stories about my own characters much more than writing about someone else's stuff.

Mary sue ?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 04:38 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Mary sue ?

Who?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:02 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

It's a term used on various fan-fiction sites it means...well it's kinda difficult to explain ...

Here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:37 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

It's a term used on various fan-fiction sites it means...well it's kinda difficult to explain ...

Here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Oh... laughing out loud

Thanks for the clarification.
Yeah, what I used to call "ego ideals." That was how I wrote when I first started, but these days (and many rejection slips + 1 acceptance letter later) I strive for more thought-provoking stuff, characters with flaws and unsettled issues. I think one of the secrets to making an interesting character is, give him/her something which makes readers feel unsettled, so that they will read on to put that feeling to rest.

Last edited by Mindship on Jun 12th, 2006 at 05:51 PM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:48 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

What do mean by Unsettling ?

Characters whom rape, murder and steal ?

Or are just generaly insane ?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 06:05 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What do mean by Unsettling ?
Characters whom rape, murder and steal ?
Or are just generaly insane ?

Those could be examples, sure, especially if you're writing about an antihero (which, personally, I do find more interesting). Done right, they can be very effective (eg, Alex, from the movie "Clockwork Orange").

You want the reader to think, "Well, now, how is this gonna be resolved?" Part of the reader wants closure, which the character may never get (especially a continuing-series character). You Don't want a sense of, "Well, everything's just right; the character is set to go about and have adventures, without really changing or being affected by anything cuz he/she is perfect as is. A 'mary sue'.

Batman is a perfect example of what can truly be a compelling character. As a child, he saw his parents murdered! GodDAMN! So what does Bruce do: he spends the rest of his life trying to compensate for this unimaginable loss...something he will probably never completely come to terms with (heck, he even dresses up like a bat!). Add the element of, "Is he gonna kill this guy?" everytime he beats up on a bad guy, and you get a situation where the reader just doesn't know what's gonna happen.

Superman, on the other hand, deals with more abstract, existential issues: "What does it mean that I'm here, with all this power?" Interesting in its own right, but not as traumatic or compelling. It's not something the average reader may generally identify with.

I hope this is clear. I've learned through A LOT of trial and error that making a character seem real is no easy task, at least not for me.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:16 PM
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Wow. You've taken this to whole new levels of thinking. (That was a compliment). Me? I've written few comic fan-fics, but I'll mostly do scifi/fantasy. Here is one of the stories I've done lately.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/ind...53964#msg153964

Anyone else have links to theirs?

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 01:33 AM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

I've done some at www.avengersreborn.alteredvisions.org and www.omegacen.com (which is the front page for a few different fanfic pages, Marvel Omega being the oldest, and headliner).

I agree, I dislike the script format. If you're going to write fanfiction, do it in a prose format, or grab a penciler and do an online comic takeoff. Scripts should be for movies or other similar productions.

DarkCrawler, did you ever have any luck with Avengers Reborn? The EiC went through a boatload of trouble with his ISP and computer, you may, if you're still interested, want to hit the message board up again and shoot him an e-mail or something. If you're still interested that is.

Generally regarding fanfiction, I try and use some obscure or older characters so that I can take their template and perhaps breathe a little more life into them. We all know who Peter Parker is, he has been defined by numerous writers and storytellers, there is little new direction anyone could really take him in without it being too radical and trite--which is not to say that's bad, I love Spider-Man, but Peter Parker has an established personality and history, which is good, some people work wonders with him as he is, I'd rather go for someone more obscure and use their few appearances as a template to flesh the characters so that I may have some influence upon who they are.

Also, few writers ever try and mix up their styles. Many writers, from title to title have the same voice, which I can't say is bad, much of my stuff reads relatively the same, though I am working on that, the whole business has been if nothing else, a great learning experience towards writing and the effort behind making a cohesive interesting story.

I'm currently working on some upcoming Liberty Legion issues that should be in the form of something resembling the set-up of an epic poem: blank verse iambic pentameter. It'll probably be somewhat rough, as lots of that poetic style depends on the length of different syllables, something that despite four years of Latin and much work with dactyllic hexameter and the great poets of antiquity, I still find to be a quite a ***** to work out. My ear simply doesn't hear it, though I've been told my recitations are enjoyable.

Sometimes though, fanfiction writers don't take it seriously, which is a mistake, yes it is for fun, but never dare craft anything without putting effort into the craft. I find many works to be poorly written, unedited and worst of all...bland. There is more to writing than putting words into sentences and sentences into paragraphs. Words need an order to them, so as to effect the reader. But this is departing from the topic at hand and aside form that I am far from a literary master.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 03:47 AM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Meh , my work sucks in my opinion (compared to some others)

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/589806/

Read the top one , Marvelous it is one of my newer pieces ....

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 05:44 AM
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Originally posted by ScarletSpider

DarkCrawler, did you ever have any luck with Avengers Reborn? The EiC went through a boatload of trouble with his ISP and computer, you may, if you're still interested, want to hit the message board up again and shoot him an e-mail or something. If you're still interested that is.

Ahh, that was the reason he never answered me then. I'll probably try some day. smile

Maybe I'll get something with Namor. big grin

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 02:10 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Probably, Namor's would be an open title, or you could probably take over the Alternate imprint Avengers, or make an X-Verse Namor title.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 08:19 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote