KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Magneto: The Debate

villain Or Not?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes he's a Villain 24 38.10%
No, he just wants whats best. 39 61.90%
Total: 63 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Magneto: The Debate
Started by: Vinny Valentine

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
UltimateStryfe
The Spirit of Vengeance

His motives are heroic. i consider him second to Apocalypse as savior of the mutant race. but, his methods are certainly villainous evil face
Magneto, better than anyone else, understands what it is like to be persecuted because of one's race. He was a Jew and was nearly killed by the Nazis, his family and friends were. And he knows that if nothing is done, the humans will do the same to mutants. Look how Bishop's future turned out. Look what was going on in Cable's future. Days of Future Past. Days of Future Now. Magneto is right. The extreme need calls for extreme measures. He is a hero for the mutant. He is a villain to the human and pacifist.

"There's only one question you must answer: Who will you stand with?"

I stand with Magneto!

Attachment: aoahb.jpg
This has been downloaded 89 time(s).

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 02:13 AM
UltimateStryfe is currently offline Click here to Send UltimateStryfe a Private Message Find more posts by UltimateStryfe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

No matter how you justify Magneto, the FACT remains that he is a VILLAIN.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:55 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UltimateStryfe
The Spirit of Vengeance

i am not arguing that. so you can stop saying it.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 04:19 AM
UltimateStryfe is currently offline Click here to Send UltimateStryfe a Private Message Find more posts by UltimateStryfe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jury
No matter how you justify Magneto, the FACT remains that he is a VILLAIN.

If he's a villain, why is Charles Xavier still his friend?

Xavier considers him too misguided and dangerous sometimes, but understands Erik's motives are for the good of mutants. It's the tactics sometimes; it puts them at odds.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 04:46 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

Originally posted by roughrider
If he's a villain, why is Charles Xavier still his friend?

Or OLD friend?
Originally posted by roughrider
Xavier considers him too misguided and dangerous sometimes, but understands Erik's motives are for the good of mutants. It's the tactics sometimes; it puts them at odds.

So what's good in there if somebody gets hurt?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 06:32 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Britrogue
Southern Belle

Interesting question. The one word which describes Magneto totally is misguided. He is in his own way a good person who wants what is best for his people and wants to protect them from what he has endured in his life. Unfortunately, he tends to choose the more violent path to get what he wants.

If Today Was Your Last Day.......

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 08:49 AM
Britrogue is currently offline Click here to Send Britrogue a Private Message Find more posts by Britrogue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UltimateStryfe
The Spirit of Vengeance

he knows that his enemies respond to violence.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:20 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Or OLD friend?

So what's good in there if somebody gets hurt?

Instead of aggressive action, you can choose to do nothing and people will still get hurt. During the Fall Of The Mutants, mutants were still getting killed, no matter how much the X-Men wanted to keep things calm.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:22 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UltimateStryfe
The Spirit of Vengeance

when mutants attack, the government and others prepare to fight them. when the x-men do their peaceful co-existence thing, the government and others are still preparing to fight them. it make's no difference.

Magneto wants results.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:47 PM
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Originally posted by UltimateStryfe
when mutants attack, the government and others prepare to fight them. when the x-men do their peaceful co-existence thing, the government and others are still preparing to fight them. it make's no difference.

Magneto wants results.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 02:28 AM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

And still appears VILLAIN.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 03:01 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

And still appears VILLAIN.

Just like the X-Men 'appear' to be menaces to society, by the media.

People need to look beyond the surface. As far as Magneto, there is a difference between sympathizing with him, and empathizing.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 04:33 AM
Jury
Extreme Member

At least, the X-Men has NO INTENTION of hurting people. Get the difference?

Magneto, on the other hand, doesn't care for humanity. He does whatever he likes for the sake of mutants. He doesn't care whether he kill people or not.

mon ami

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 06:09 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

At least, the X-Men has NO INTENTION of hurting people. Get the difference?

Magneto, on the other hand, doesn't care for humanity. He does whatever he likes for the sake of mutants. He doesn't care whether he kill people or not.

mon ami

That's the difference between sympathy and empathy. I have empathy for Magneto - meaning I may not agree with him and his actions, but I understand why he feels like he does.

He is willing to kill regular people to get what he wants - the safety of mutants - becuase there have long been orginized groups of humans in the world, willing to commit genocide on mutantkind just because they are 'different.' Magneto quite often resists calls to pull back on his agression, becuase such people try to kill mutants anyway, peaceful or not. Being scarred long ago by the Nazi Holocaust, he is not easily talked out of such a world view.
Remember, there was a time before he was championed, when Malcolm X was considered a hate-monger who referred to the entire white race as 'white devils' because of the sins of history.
I hope Magneto can one day learn not to meet hate with agression and terror tactics; he was coming to that when he had a safe haven for mutantkind in Genosha. But then the outside world came in with that rogue sentinal and nuked Genosha, so the cycle will continue.

Just think: on both sides of the Israel/Palestine conflict, the other side is demonized as villans.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 03:16 PM
Kovacs86

Good debate... in my view, yes, I cannpt AGREE with what Magneto does, he would kill everyone I know, normal people, but his motives aren't to cause pain, suffering or chaos, he just wants HARMONY for his kind...

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 03:54 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
x-fetish

he's kind of a cross between both. he seeks peace for mutants but will do the bad deeds to get it

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 12:05 AM
x-fetish is currently offline Click here to Send x-fetish a Private Message Find more posts by x-fetish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

And that is what I mean VILLAIN.

End does not justify the means. At least, for me. No matter how good your goal is, yet you do evil in order to reach it, the fact remains that he does evil intentionally. And that what makes Magneto a villain.

Just like a robber, he used to steal things so his family could eat. In the sight of everyone, what he did was still injustice... and villainous.

mon ami

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2006 02:49 AM
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Bump

Old Post Jun 25th, 2006 09:33 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Noa
Da Funky Chicken!

And that is what I mean VILLAIN.

End does not justify the means. At least, for me. No matter how good your goal is, yet you do evil in order to reach it, the fact remains that he does evil intentionally. And that what makes Magneto a villain.

Just like a robber, he used to steal things so his family could eat. In the sight of everyone, what he did was still injustice... and villainous.

mon ami

Amen.

Sorry joining the discussion late. But here is my two-cents

Maggi is a villain, I'm in agreement with most of the points that jury has brought up. Because it really comes down to what is right and wrong, the actions magneto makes are wrong because the price is to high to pay to achieve his goal. Whereas the x-men misconstrued as evil, however their goal is a just one.

Thanks IceJaw!

Old Post Jun 26th, 2006 01:11 AM
Noa is currently offline Click here to Send Noa a Private Message Find more posts by Noa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sabretooth
I was dead. I got better.

Magneto an anti-hero? Don't make me laugh. The Punisher is an anti-hero. The difference? The Punisher doesn't target innocents. Magneto is no better than a common terrorist, who also think hurting innocents is okay as long as it's for a good cause. If Magneto only focused on tactical targets such as military installations it would be different, but that's not how he does things now is it?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 02:46 AM
Sabretooth is currently offline Click here to Send Sabretooth a Private Message Find more posts by Sabretooth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote