KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » brother and sister?= bad idea

brother and sister?= bad idea
Started by: koreanknight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zareil

YEs but surely everyone is entitled to an opinion. Sorry Its not that I dont like Luke I just think that there was more to the galaxy than the singular hero. The saga wouldn't have been complete without his fellow companions. Plus Han got way better dialogue in all the films. Maybe just me dont know. Oh and your on my tail. arrggh stay on target...

Old Post Mar 28th, 2001 03:06 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

We're too close!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 28th, 2001 03:23 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zareil

you and me or the brother sister thang? - to the bar?

Old Post Mar 28th, 2001 03:25 AM
queeq
Chaos

I SO disagree with you on the Vader quote in the DS trench run, Ush. As we know from the conference room scene earlier in the movie, Vader takes the Force-thing very VERY seriously. I doubt he'd use that for a general "luck"-statement.
I mean, you wouldn't say "God is with him" when you don't believe in God and you feel someone is lucky. Yet, you DO say "Goodbye" to people (which originally means "God bless you".) So "May the Force be with You" is like that, but what Vader said is NOT. IMHO OC.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2001 02:15 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'd be amazed if I was wrong, but there you go.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 01:00 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

So would I. laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 02:25 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zareil

I dont know thats a tough one that backs down to the semantics of the film. 1st off whilst he is big up on the force gig, he believed that all the jedi were already dead. As such having already discovered that Obi wan had still been kicking about he probably took great interest in the fact that he sensed such matters. I dont think that he was pulling a Han stunt and quoting a phrase out of general banter to his following support troops... sorry Ush that means I'm with Queeq no matter how great you are

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 03:11 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

'The Force be With You" is a general term for luck throughout the trilogy. I'm certain that's what GL meant in that case. He had no idea who he was firing at.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 03:17 AM
Zareil

THe force be with you maybe, the force is strong with this one I dont think so. Besides which think about religous figure heads. When they say God Bless you they mean it. And As a master of the syth to him it is a religion so he quite possibly takes it all quite a bit more seriously

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 03:22 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The Jedi use 'the Force' as a term of good luck as well. The Will of the Force and so on.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 03:30 AM
Zareil

Sorry just in bar and answering Superhero question. Yes see your point but I cant really see Vader wishing anyone any luck...

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 03:40 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He wasn't WISHING him luck, he was just commenting on the fact that his target had some. I'm really sure that's what GL meant.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 03:56 AM
Zareil

Contextually and the way he said it I dont see that but I'll leave you to your own judgement everyone is allowed their own opinion...

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 04:06 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'm remarkably sure on this one... Vader is not acting like someone who has just discovered another Jedi when he thought they were all dead. He's acting like someone who is having difficulty shooting someone down.

Besides, even if you think that Luke was using the Force in a way that could be sensed- which I don't- he didn't start using it until he turned off the targeting omputer, which was AFTER that line.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 04:11 AM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Vader could just tell that Luke had some Force potential. That's what I think he meant. I agree that he didn't know that it was his son.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2001 08:10 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Of course he didn't. I'm absolutely sure Vader was talking about his Force sensitivity, I think he was surprised detecting someone else with Force powers after OB1 died.

If you go back to the scene with the officers at the beginning of the film we see Vader as a dedicated believer, taking the Force VERY seriously and not accepting any sneers on the topic. So I doubt he was just using that line here as a general comment on the pilot's luck. "In my experience there is no such thing as luck."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2001 11:16 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Uh-huh- hence he doesn't say "this pilot is lucky," he saysd
"The Force is Strong with him!" Jedi substitute the Will fo the Force for luck- with a slight contextual difference,. becauser it can mean skill as well. It is meant to represent his current good performance- if the Force is with you, you cannot fail.

And as I have said, Luke was not using the Force, aside from good reflexes, when Vader said the line. And Vader does NOT sound lime someone who is surprisrd to find a Force Adept! He sounds like someone commenting on a tricky kill!

Vader's line has become synonomous- certainly with my friends- to someone being lucky/skillful. I have never had one moment in which I doubted his meaning.

And if he could have picked it up from such a vague source, then he WOULD have detected Leia.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2001 12:15 AM
queeq
Chaos

When did it become canon that Force sensitivity can only be sensed when someone is using it? There is nothing that indicates that, it's just an explanation used for a possible reason why OB1 and Yoda were never discovered.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2001 01:08 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Where is it said that it can be sensed at all?

My explanation is the simplest and most likely.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2001 10:32 PM
JediOasis
Better Man

Who is to say that he didn't sense it on Leia the first time he met her? Remember, they had met prior to ANH. My guess is that Vader sensed it but did not worry because there was nothing to worry about. Perhaps he only worried about Luke cause he was fighting and flying very well and he just happened to notice he had Force potential. And maybe Luke is stronger in the Force than Leia somehow. That is probably the reason Luke was trained first. I know they are twins and everything, but maybe Luke got more of daddies genes.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Apr 4th, 2001 01:10 AM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote