KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski
Started by: ~Flamboyant~

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Bunny Lebowski: Blow on them.
The Dude: You want me to blow on your toes?
Bunny Lebowski: I can't blow that far.
The Dude: Are you sure he won't mind?
Bunny Lebowski: Ulli doesn't care about anything. He's a Nihilist.
The Dude: Ah. Must be exhausting.

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2006 04:57 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 10:15 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Flamboyant~
Out of my element

**** it, let's go bowling.

I love you IceJaw for making me the sig!

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 09:47 PM
~Flamboyant~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Flamboyant~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Flamboyant~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I searched for this thread, high and low, and could not find. It took the massive search abilities of a mod to find this thing.

I watched the movie for the first time, last night. Yes, I've been a "The Big Lebowski" virgin for 11 years.

First of all, I have NO idea what the big deal is about the movie. There was nothing remarkable, groundbreaking, or awesome about it. The only thing awesome about the film is that some of the characters are based off of real people the Coen Brothers knew. That's pretty flippin' sweet.

I must say, I've been let down again. I was expecting some awesome hilarity that made my sides hurt. I didn't get that. The funniest part of the film is when Donnie approaches Walter and tells him that the next tournie meet is on Friday. Walter immediately responds with his usual, "Shut the f*ck up, Donnie...wait, what? Friday?" And then goes into his diatribe. That was pretty funny. I also got a laugh when Walter was beating the shit out of what he thought was Larry Sellers car. I found it quite funny as he screamed, "this is what happens when you f*ck someone in the ass, Larry!" And then, there's this part where John Goodman does this quick little step run thingie before he smashes out the head light. I don't know why, but that was really funny.

Other than that, the comedy was flat and recycled. The story was predictable as soon as Maude tells The Dude that her father withdrew the money from the foundation (though, to the Coen Brothers' credit, I think that was intentional as the watcher is supposed to get pissed at the characters being douche-bag idiots.) The story was annoying, and the characters were frustratingly stupid. I get that people find that funny (Michael Scott, is an example of this.), but I don't.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that some of the people that recommended this movie to me as an absolute MUST SEE had crappy taste. But some of those same people call Animal House a comedy legend....and that it is. The Big Lebowski most definitely is not.

Please, can someone explain this cult following?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Also, my internet screen name was original, "TheDudeMan." A line spoken be Jeff Lebowski as follows, "...I'm 'The Dude,' man." A coincidence, only, but I found it interesting.

I give the film a 5 out of 10...but I'm leaning towards a 4.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 07:33 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

In my opinion, it's an overrated movie. It's funny, but not hilarious. Some people love it, though. It has some good quotes, I have to admit.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 11:40 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blinky
Android First Class

AT DDM:
----------------------------------------------------
Possible reason that you were disappointed : You were lookin' for a "side splitting " comedy. Wrong way to go into this film. What you did was like going and renting Big Trouble In Little China expecting to see an "on the edge of your seat" action movie, then saying the movie was shit. I love The Big Lebowski but would never describe it as "side splitting" material.

Another possible reason : this movie just isn't your taste. The The Big Lebowski is all about dialogue and characters, that's all it has, man. The story itself is orginal , IMO, but I suppose some can dismiss it as shit. If you hate well written odd-ball characters and subtly-funny tongue in cheek (best way I can discribe it) dialogue, of course you'll not think much about this movie.

From what you have posted in other threads, you adore the Dark Knight, and think it's "legendary" (I think it's the most overrated film of all time--mediocre at best) I think that explains why you dislike The Big Lebowski movie -- not your bag of chips.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Last edited by Blinky on Dec 16th, 2009 at 02:15 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 02:07 PM
Blinky is currently offline Click here to Send Blinky a Private Message Find more posts by Blinky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
I searched for this thread, high and low, and could not find. It took the massive search abilities of a mod to find this thing.

I watched the movie for the first time, last night. Yes, I've been a "The Big Lebowski" virgin for 11 years.

First of all, I have NO idea what the big deal is about the movie. There was nothing remarkable, groundbreaking, or awesome about it. The only thing awesome about the film is that some of the characters are based off of real people the Coen Brothers knew. That's pretty flippin' sweet.

I must say, I've been let down again. I was expecting some awesome hilarity that made my sides hurt. I didn't get that. The funniest part of the film is when Donnie approaches Walter and tells him that the next tournie meet is on Friday. Walter immediately responds with his usual, "Shut the f*ck up, Donnie...wait, what? Friday?" And then goes into his diatribe. That was pretty funny. I also got a laugh when Walter was beating the shit out of what he thought was Larry Sellers car. I found it quite funny as he screamed, "this is what happens when you f*ck someone in the ass, Larry!" And then, there's this part where John Goodman does this quick little step run thingie before he smashes out the head light. I don't know why, but that was really funny.

Other than that, the comedy was flat and recycled. The story was predictable as soon as Maude tells The Dude that her father withdrew the money from the foundation (though, to the Coen Brothers' credit, I think that was intentional as the watcher is supposed to get pissed at the characters being douche-bag idiots.) The story was annoying, and the characters were frustratingly stupid. I get that people find that funny (Michael Scott, is an example of this.), but I don't.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that some of the people that recommended this movie to me as an absolute MUST SEE had crappy taste. But some of those same people call Animal House a comedy legend....and that it is. The Big Lebowski most definitely is not.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Also, my internet screen name was original, "TheDudeMan." A line spoken be Jeff Lebowski as follows, "...I'm 'The Dude,' man." A coincidence, only, but I found it interesting.

That's just like... your opinion, man.

TGFwashere

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 04:19 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Characters, dialogue and how they all interact with each other is brilliant.

Just as a point of reference, what are your three favorite movies/movies you think are exceptional?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 06:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard

****in' eh. The best parts are when Walter and the Dude are arguing about whatever, or when Walter is having one of his rants, if you watch the looks on Donnie's face, priceless.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 07:56 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Blinky
AT DDM:
----------------------------------------------------
Possible reason that you were disappointed : You were lookin' for a "side splitting " comedy. Wrong way to go into this film. What you did was like going and renting Big Trouble In Little China expecting to see an "on the edge of your seat" action movie, then saying the movie was shit. I love The Big Lebowski but would never describe it as "side splitting" material.

Another possible reason : this movie just isn't your taste. The The Big Lebowski is all about dialogue and characters, that's all it has, man. The story itself is orginal , IMO, but I suppose some can dismiss it as shit. If you hate well written odd-ball characters and subtly-funny tongue in cheek (best way I can discribe it) dialogue, of course you'll not think much about this movie.

From what you have posted in other threads, you adore the Dark Knight, and think it's "legendary" (I think it's the most overrated film of all time--mediocre at best) I think that explains why you dislike The Big Lebowski movie -- not your bag of chips.

Thank you very much for you input. I really appreciate this type of intelligent feedback. I think I understand where I went wrong. Backfire gave this movie a strong recommendation and I must say that no movie Backfire spoke highly of has ever earned less than a 7 from me.

I was just...let down and disappointed. I was rather excited to see the film because of the rave from people on here I trust input from. (i.e. Robtard, RJ, Backfire, Sadako, etc.)

The Dark Knight IS legendary, but not my all time favorite. I would put Inglorious Bastards ahead of TDK in my all time favorite list.

Originally posted by Robtard

Just as a point of reference, what are your three favorite movies/movies you think are exceptional?

Hmm. I disagree. At times it was entertaining...but altogether, it was a tad annoying and repetitive.

That'd be hard to say, really. I did list some movies that made my "9's" list to Sadako. I'll just post them here from my Netflix list.

Donnie Darko
Dark City
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Inglorious Bastards
Equilibrium
Gladiator
Star Wars (all 6 earned 9s)
Matrix (all 3 earned 9)
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Gattaca
The Count of Monte Cristo (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Paparazzi (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Hot Rod. (One of the funniest movies I've seen.)
The Incredibles.
The Inside Man.
The Island. (My wife and I watched it on our first date...so it's special.)
Les Miserables
Minority Report.

That's not all of them. That's just the first 20 or so from my top netflix ratings.

Last edited by dadudemon on Dec 17th, 2009 at 01:29 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 01:22 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

This is a movie where expectations can backfire on you. The comedy is very slight and nuanced and easy to miss. It's by no means a side splitter.

It's just very quotable. It's a movie that really grew on me after some time and after a few viewings. The characters are in my opinion very likeable and it's just fun to watch them. Especially Walter, he's pure gold.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 02:17 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thank you very much for you input. I really appreciate this type of intelligent feedback. I think I understand where I went wrong. Backfire gave this movie a strong recommendation and I must say that no movie Backfire spoke highly of has ever earned less than a 7 from me.

I was just...let down and disappointed. I was rather excited to see the film because of the rave from people on here I trust input from. (i.e. Robtard, RJ, Backfire, Sadako, etc.)

Donnie Darko
Dark City
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Inglorious Bastards
Equilibrium
Gladiator
Star Wars (all 6 earned 9s)
Matrix (all 3 earned 9)
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Gattaca
The Count of Monte Cristo (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Paparazzi (I really really really like revenge flicks.)
Hot Rod. (One of the funniest movies I've seen.)
The Incredibles.
The Inside Man.
The Island. (My wife and I watched it on our first date...so it's special.)
Les Miserables
Minority Report.

An unusual list to say the least. I always thought that Donnie Darko was a film that mainstream filmgoers refer to as complicated and mature when most people that say that clearly haven't even heard of some of the most complicated and difficult films to penetrate beyond the surface. Primer is the perfect example. It even says on the dvd case "Donnie Darko for grown ups".

If you "really really really" like revenge movies then I suggest you get this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vAk3Og3HLA

It's cheap but it's absolutely astounding.

In the context of the entire movie this is probably one of the most touching scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sRw...feature=related

As for the rest of them...A few that are badly underrated (Gattaca and Equilibrium) and some that are so far overrated it is utterly disgraceful that people fall for the hype. (Dark Knight)

A few I would recommend you see if you haven't already would be the two mentioned already plus

Casshern
Sympathy for Mr Vengence (along with the other 2 in the vengence trilogy...most people know Oldboy but now Lady vengence and Mr vengence)
eXistenZ
Mullholland Drive

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 03:09 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Dead mans shoes! What an awesome movie that was.

TGFwashere

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 04:15 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

And that is why you fail. But seriously, the first time I saw it I thought it was just an okay movie. It wasn't until a few years later that I watched it again and realized that it is a rare gem, pure comedy genius. And yes, it is side splitting.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2009 02:26 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 03:58 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

About Donnie Darko, that movie was somewhat confusing to me, probably somewhat more than Primer which I think is down to me not having any knowledge about it. As far as I can tell there's little implication about what we are seeing, while Primer more goes out saying "look dude, this is about time machines, think about time travel, k? on with the movie then" I'd say Primer is a more challenging movie though and I did enjoy it more than Donnie Darko (which was also good), but I think confusing people is not that hard if you don't tell them shit, while Primer was narrated nicely all the way through the concept was just more sophisticated.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 06:24 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by Kovacs86
This is genius:

http://www.runleiarun.com/lebowski/

QUINCE
Hail, masters! I crave thine able readiness
To be dealt with roughly, as the Sodomites.
For men of sport have noted that our play
In semifinal hour draws on apace.
By Jove! I’ll wager well, Liam and me,
To thrash thee soundly at the fair tourney.

THE KNAVE
Yea, well, that be, forsooth, thy opinion, sir. laughing

Old Post Jan 10th, 2010 11:13 PM
joemacky29
Restricted

Account Restricted

To Funny

This movie is awesome! To funny! "I have a beverage here man!"

Last edited by Impediment on Jan 17th, 2010 at 09:25 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2010 04:32 AM
joemacky29 is currently offline Click here to Send joemacky29 a Private Message Find more posts by joemacky29 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

It had some moments like the first hour and then it just got shittier and shittier as I watched. It was epic for the first hour though lol.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 11th, 2010 07:35 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by One Free Man
It had some moments like the first hour and then it just got shittier and shittier as I watched. It was epic for the first hour though lol.

Batman and Robin was one of your favorites??? erm

Old Post Jan 11th, 2010 06:32 PM